Bear spray-armed thieves rob Vancouver Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thieves armed with bear spray hit the Oakridge Mall Apple Store in Vancouver just before closing in Monday, spraying roughly 40 people and making off with an unknown number of iPods, iPads, and notebooks.

The Vancouver Job

The National Post carried word of the robbery, which saw three men bearing a caustic, cayenne pepper-based chemical attack the Apple Store. There were roughly 40 customers in the store, of which five would later need treatment by paramedics for exposure to the spray. The robbers are said to have fled by car.

Most of the valuable Apple electronics are likely to have been out of reach of the robbers, as Apple Stores keep most stock in hidden storage rooms behind closed doors. Vancouver police say that the thieves made off with only "a small number of electronics."

Apple Store robberies have been a recurring occurrence since the company first opened its specialized retail outlets. The premium nature of Apple's products, combined with the relative ease of access to the stores, makes them a prime target for smash-and-grab operations. The new year kicked off with word that thieves in Paris had made off with $1.3 million in Apple products from the Apple Store there. Another more recent robbery saw a thief destroying a $100,000 custom glass door to steal $64,000 in merchandise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77

Response: make Bear spray illegal  :)

• Reply 2 of 77
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Don't these idiots understand aside from the security cameras, these devices can be tracked?
  • Reply 3 of 77
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I smelled pepper-spray once, from a distance, that stuff is horrible. Never experienced anything like that before.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Don't these idiots understand aside from the security cameras, these devices can be tracked?

They aren't that idiot if they managed to steal so many. Dishonest yes. And the device can't be tracked if it doesn't have a wireless connection. They can take all the time they want formatting it. They are going to sell them anyway so they don't care.

• Reply 5 of 77
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    "Hey, hoser... we need more money for beer and hockey eh?", "Yeah. Well, uh... there's one of those Apple stores up north, eh." "You're a genius. Let's drinks some brews. I got bear spray, eh...".

http://www.lazydork.com/movies/strangebrew.jpg
  • Reply 6 of 77
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

They try to attack me with bear spray in a robbery attempt, they'll get a lead sandwich.  

• Reply 7 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

If you make bear-spray illegal then only illegals will have bears… or something like that. :D
  • Reply 8 of 77

Great.  Now all the libtards are going to want to put a limit on the number of ounces a can of bear mace can hold...

• Reply 9 of 77
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    And Microsoft stores can't GIVE their crap away.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

A more realistic answer ... ?  

Make drugs legal.  

Most theft stops overnight when that happens. 

• Reply 11 of 77
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macman88 View Post

Great.  Now all the libtards are going to want to put a limit on the number of ounces a can of bear mace can hold...

"libtards"?  Serious question:  how old are you?

FWIW in most of the US it's already a felony to use any pepper spray on humans for any purpose other than self-defense.  There is no limit on the amount of either self-defense pepper spray or even bear spray (which is much more concentrated) that an individual can possess, and possession of either is not a crime in itself.  On the contrary, many local PDs recommend pepper spray as an effective means of stopping an assault, though most recommend some training for proper use and awareness of the penalties for misuse.

• Reply 12 of 77
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you make bear-spray illegal then only illegals will have bears… or something like that. image

It's not illegal to buy it in Canada but it is illegal to use it on humans. They slap your wrist a little harder.

• Reply 13 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They try to attack me with bear spray in a robbery attempt, they'll get a lead sandwich.  

Not in Canada.

• Reply 14 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

FWIW in most of the US it's already a felony to use any pepper spray on humans for any purpose other than self-defense.  There is no limit on the amount of either self-defense pepper spray or even bear spray (which is much more concentrated) that an individual can possess, and possession of either is not a crime in itself.  On the contrary, many local PDs recommend pepper spray as an effective means of stopping an assault, though most recommend some training for proper use and awareness of the penalties for misuse.

I've read several accounts of a perp taking full face contact with bear spray and not even grimacing. It could have something to do with the pcp-crack-crystal induced rage... not sure... image

• Reply 15 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Watch out, we've got a badass over here.

Oakridge mall always seems to get robbed. There's a high-end jewelry store that's been hit twice before in the same mall and there have been a few other "incidents" there over the years. It's odd because it's not in a bad area of the city.

• Reply 16 of 77
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    A more realistic answer ... ?  

Make drugs legal.  
    Most theft stops overnight when that happens. 

I wish it would happen.

Not in Canada.

Some guns are legal in Canada.

But with bear mace, you have to have an extreme tolerance in order to react cogently once you're hit. You probably won't even be able to see once hit. Otherwise you, assuming you had a gun, you don't know if you're hitting your target, or worse, hitting bystanders. Sometimes part of having a solution is also knowing when your solution is inappropriate or won't work.
  • Reply 17 of 77

I don't know about you guys....but I'm not really built for jail!

I would never attempt anything like this! :)

• Reply 18 of 77
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 19 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I am not sure if you caught my sarcasm.  I am not against people having bear spray in any quantity, nor am I opposed to people using it for self defense. I was sarcastically referencing the gun control climate in the U.S. right now.

• Reply 20 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Some guns are legal in Canada.

You're not allowed to carry a gun in Canada without a permit.

Getting a permit in Canada is akin to asking the Republican party to endorse gay marriage [or gun control].