Chinese government may regulate Google's Android for having too much control

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
China's technology ministry has published a document accusing Google's Android operating system of having too much control over the local market ??a statement that could hint the government plans to impose regulations.

The white paper, which was publicized by local media on Tuesday, said that China's "core technology roadmap is strictly controlled by Google." As noted by Reuters, it accuses the industry of being "too dependent on Android."

Flurry 1

The technology ministry goes on to suggest that Google has discriminated against some Chinese handset manufacturers bey delaying the sharing of open-source codes for the Android platform. Google has also been accused of using commercial agreements to block business development of mobile devices from Chinese manufacturers.

The Chinese government is known for stepping in to regulate when it can help domestic companies. Accordingly, the white paper is seen as a sign that industry regulations could be imposed against Android.

While the paper stands as a warning to Google, it came out in praise of Chinese companies including Huawei, Baidu, and Alibaba, which have created their own mobile operating systems.

China has become a crucial battleground for Google and Apple in the smartphone space, as the market recently surpassed the U.S. as the biggest market for the iPhone and handsets running Android. Given that China has four times the population of the U.S., it's not expected that China will relinquish that lead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Already short Google as I hear people saying it will reach $1000= rally is over .
  • Reply 2 of 38
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

You mean they don't believe that Google does no evil?

• Reply 3 of 38
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 4 of 38
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Android dominance will suddenly go away if Samsung gets a good reception for its Tizen phone.
  • Reply 5 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does Google have more control over Android that Apple does over iOS?

The real difference is that Apple has never pretended that iOS is 'open' (in the sense that others can license it and use it freely in competing products).

The problem the Chinese government (and others) have with Android is that it's open until you try to do something which could undercut Google's advertising revenue.  At that point they tend to use 'Android compatibility' to try and stifle competition.  For example, the Skyhook Wireless case.

That and the fact that Google tends to take a while to share their latest code with Android licensees.  Again, something which could be used to stifle competition if and when they see fit.  This is where I believe the Chinese government has an issue: many Chinese manufacturers are licensing Android, which gives Google a certain amount of control.

• Reply 6 of 38
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    a word to the chinese, it isn't google!... it is samsung... and are not the phones made in china?... so crack down on samsung, because i think google is samsungs b!7ch!!... who but google could be conned into writing an Operating system for free!... because they knew how and it Satisfied their vanity!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The real difference is that Apple has never pretended that iOS is 'open' (in the sense that others can license it and use it freely in competing products).

The problem the Chinese government (and others) have with Android is that it's open until you try to do something which could undercut Google's advertising revenue.  At that point they tend to use 'Android compatibility' to try and stifle competition.  For example, the Skyhook Wireless case.

That and the fact that Google tends to take a while to share their latest code with Android licensees.  Again, something which could be used to stifle competition if and when they see fit.  This is where I believe the Chinese government has an issue: many Chinese manufacturers are licensing Android, which gives Google a certain amount of control.

Yes, it seems what the Chinese government doesn't like, among other things, is that Google is using its tight-fisted control over the supposedly "open source" Android source code to disadvantage Chinese companies who depend on it. 

And, yes, the whole "Open" Handset Alliance thing is a joke. Android compatibility is exactly what Google says it is, but it's not defined anywhere.

• Reply 8 of 38
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Just what the world wants, an OS made by Huwai with built-in back-doors for the intelligence arm of the People's Army to exploit.  I'm so excited, where can I join the queue? 

What are the Chinese government going to do in practical terms?  Tell Google do what we tell you or get out of China?  If I was Google I would tell them to FOAD, there's plenty of scope for us in India.

• Reply 9 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, it seems what the Chinese government doesn't like, among other things, is that Google is using its tight-fisted control over the supposedly "open source" Android source code to disadvantage Chinese companies who depend on it. 

Translation: Google is helping Samsung flood China with South Korean made handsets.

• Reply 10 of 38
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Righhhht. Cause most Chinese people would prefer their software with the built-in backdoors provided by the government friendly Chinese firms. This is simply a warning to Google to more co-operative with the government or risk getting locked out of the Chinese market. I can't see Google really caving in any substantial way on this (without hurting themselves elsewhere).

@auxio

Google certainly dominates Android. But there is absolutely nothing stopping companies from forking Android. Amazon had demonstrated this quite aptly.

Google simply says you can't go half way. You can't pick and choose what you want from Google on your Android device. You want to fork Android? You're on your own for an ecosystem. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that stance.

That position compels Google to work with the major OEMs (who have the ability to fork the OS if they want). And it compels the OEMs to work with Google to get the features they want, without having to develop an entire OS on their own.
  • Reply 11 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Google certainly dominates Android. But there is absolutely nothing stopping companies from forking Android. Amazon had demonstrated this quite aptly.

Google simply says you can't go half way. You can't pick and choose what you want from Google on your Android device. You want to fork Android? You're on your own for an ecosystem. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that stance.

That position compels Google to work with the major OEMs (who have the ability to fork the OS if they want). And it compels the OEMs to work with Google to get the features they want, without having to develop an entire OS on their own.

Did you even bother to read the details of the Skyhook Wireless case?

It wasn't about an Android licensee (rightfully) being excluded from the ecosystem by forking Android and customizing it.  It was about a company trying to create a competing positioning app for Android, and being cut out of the market because Google strong-armed the Android licensees who were going to include it as their default positioning app (rather than Google's own app).  For simply choosing a different default app (but still including Google's app as well), not making an OS modification or similar.

• Reply 12 of 38
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The white paper ... said that China's "core technology roadmap is strictly controlled by Google."

Except for search technology.  You know, Google's bread-and-butter ad revenue generator.

Doing business in China hasn't all been big happy fun for Google, and it might even get worse.

Question: What other mobile OS is based on open standards and free?

Answer: Tizenhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen

In some ways, Tizen is like Android with Google's profit layer stripped out.

Samsung is supposedly considering Tizen as an alternative to Android as well.  Makes perfect sense,

since Samsung and Intel are on Tizen's Technical Steering Committee.

• Reply 13 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Translation: Google is helping Samsung flood China with South Korean made handsets.

Vietnamese and Chinese made handsets, check the label inside the battery bay for where your Samsung handset is made.

• Reply 14 of 38
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Righhhht. Cause most Chinese people would prefer their software with the built-in backdoors provided by the government friendly Chinese firms. [...]

And if most Chinese people object to their government's policies, they can just elect new leadership.

Righhhht.

• Reply 15 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Apart from Samsung, of course, who are big enough to give a big STFU to the "open" handset alliance and Google.

Navigon maps, Polaris office, Knox, Samsung hub(s) etc

• Reply 16 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Android dominance will suddenly go away if Samsung gets a good reception for its Tizen phone.

I am not sure that it will just go away. 

China Mobil Android Page View by Vendor:

Samsung %22

HTC %12

Huawei %9 

Moto %6

ZTE %6

Levino %6

Other %39  

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/05/android-big-in-china/screen-shot-2013-03-05-at-14-19-39-1/

• Reply 17 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

In some ways, Tizen is like Android with Google's profit layer stripped out.

Samsung is supposedly considering Tizen as an alternative to Android as well.  Makes perfect sense,

since Samsung and Intel are on Tizen's Technical Steering Committee.

/me grabs popcorn and waits for the show to start.  Should be *very* interesting to see how Google's stance on patents and lawsuits changes when the shoe is on the other foot.

• Reply 18 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Vietnamese and Chinese made handsets, check the label inside the battery bay for where your Samsung handset is made.

Good to know. I don't have a battery bay on my handset. So I revise the comment to Korean designed handset, which is also where the profit goes.

• Reply 19 of 38

Quote:

I think that both B&N and Amazon got the jump on Android for tablets with their "Forks". Android wasn't ready for tablets and by limiting it to a specialized niche they had success. 

In Q411 The two of them accounted for nearly half of all Android Tablets. In Q412 the two of them accounted for less than a quarter. B&N had negative growth. Amazon grew but lost market share. Most likely the specialized niche advantage they had will be lost moving as android has become more suitable for tablets. 

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23926713#.UTZKKhysh8H

• Reply 20 of 38
    macrulez wrote: »
    Does Google have more control over Android that Apple does over iOS?

You missed the point of the Chinese technology ministry's report by a country mile. It has nothing to do with Apple. It's about which foreign company's operating system wields significant leverage on the Chinese handset manufacturers.