Apple unused to being attacked, must adjust to new role on defense, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I would say that this is just incorrect. Not that the iPod isn't the dominant player in the field, but that it didn't have competition. In reality, there were a lot of competitors out there. The sad fact though, is not one could compete with the iPod (thus the term so many times used of "iPod-killer").

Right.  Microsoft was a competitor.  Some analysts used to think they were a significant player ;=)

• Reply 22 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple needs to keep being Apple. End of discussion. This analyst believes Apple should allow perception to inform their behaviour. Thankfully Apple doesn't to that, and should never consider this MO.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The iPod didn't come under attack as much as the iPhone/iPad.

The iPod came under attack - not from other music players but from music-playing mobile phones. Apple responded successfully with the iPhone.

• Reply 24 of 48
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I love this. The way I explained it to my son was this. Profit shows the health and wealth of a company. Market Share is just for people who like to measure certain anatomical properties.

Market share is an indicator that has to be considered on some level.  I would make more important than other indicators, but it gives a snap shot of what's going on in the industry to show some trends. The problem is that all of these smartphone makers don't release their products on the same date, nor does it tell you how many market each one is in because not every smartphone mfg is selling their products in the same countries and/or carriers.  While it appears as though Apple has only about 20+% Global market share, there are countries and carriers that they haven't signed on yet.  Apple also doesn't release their products in all markets at once like these others do.

I personally think they need to divide all of these numbers by country, by carrier, by market (educational institutional buyers, corporate, government, individual by professional, student and average consumer by unit active AND unit sales on a quarterly basis.  If they had this information more detailed, a better analysis can be done in terms of predicting future sales and seeing market trends.

• Reply 25 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I would say that this is just incorrect. Not that the iPod isn't the dominant player in the field, but that it didn't have competition. In reality, there were a lot of competitors out there. The sad fact though, is not one could compete with the iPod (thus the term so many times used of "iPod-killer").

Having a lot of competitors doesn't mean that they came under a viable attack. No one was able to duplicate the iPod/iTunes combo. People that purchased a competitor's device almost always ended up buying a iPod. With Google's help the competition has been able to make devices with an experience that iPod competitors were able to ever come close to.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    I love this. The way I explained it to my son was this. Profit shows the health and wealth of a company. Market Share is just for people who like to measure certain anatomical properties.

Yes but not every product/service can be treated the same. People will not always go with the best.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    kharvelkharvel Posts: 80member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

My sister told me yesterday that she's giving up her iPhone for a Note2. She wants the big screen. This seems to be a trend among my friends. Apple cannot ignore this demand for long.

Bigger screen = better user experience?

Report back to us one year from now.  I will bet you $20 right now that she will be back to an iOS device before 12 months are over.  

• Reply 28 of 48
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    drblank wrote: »
    Market share is an indicator that has to be considered on some level.  I would make more important than other indicators, but it gives a snap shot of what's going on in the industry to show some trends. The problem is that all of these smartphone makers don't release their products on the same date, nor does it tell you how many market each one is in because not every smartphone mfg is selling their products in the same countries and/or carriers.  While it appears as though Apple has only about 20+% Global market share, there are countries and carriers that they haven't signed on yet.  Apple also doesn't release their products in all markets at once like these others do.

I personally think they need to divide all of these numbers by country, by carrier, by market (educational institutional buyers, corporate, government, individual by professional, student and average consumer by unit active AND unit sales on a quarterly basis.  If they had this information more detailed, a better analysis can be done in terms of predicting future sales and seeing market trends.

Agreed. Market share should be considered... but it's not the be-all-end-all.

Some would say Android is dominating with their market share position of 70%. But that could also broken down by countries, carriers and phone capabilities.

No one doubts that Android phones sell like hotcakes all around the globe. But what should also be considered is how many of them are cheap underpowered phones running Gingerbread today... or the fact that some countries don't have access to the Google Play Store... or countries that barely have 3G.

Android "wins" by sheer volume of phones sold and by market share.

But what is Android actually doing with that market share... other than just saying they have that much market share?
  • Reply 29 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sweet mother of frick, this phrase has now been said in actual seriousness. What moron wants a SIX INCH PHONE?!

Perhaps to make up for something else?

• Reply 30 of 48
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    kharvel wrote: »

Report back to us one year from now.  I will bet you $20 right now that she will be back to an iOS device before 12 months are over.  

What I'm hearing is:

Android: large screen... poor OS
    iPhone: small screen... great OS

I'm sick of that division. Call me crazy... I want a bigger screened iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    kharvel wrote: »

On some levels yes. Why do people buy bigger and bigger screen TVs?
  • Reply 32 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    My sister told me yesterday that she's giving up her iPhone for a Note2. She wants the big screen. This seems to be a trend among my friends. Apple cannot ignore this demand for long.

I dont think Apple is ignoring the demand ( although I don't think the demand is as high as u think). I bet Apple has a few prototypes and are considering every aspect of it. It will be a compliment to the current iPhone and they'll release it when it's good and ready.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    What I'm hearing is:

Android: large screen... poor OS
    iPhone: small screen... great OS

I'm sick of that division. Call me crazy... I want a bigger screened iPhone.

Pick one up and judge for yourself.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member
    Tim Cook is a genius. He is one of the main reasons that Apple has been so successful and why they have so much cash and no debt. Another reason why Apple is so successful is that they do not listen to stupid marketing advice from the unqualified.

Now the real dummy boys work for the competition.
  • Reply 35 of 48

I have seen the same thing - long time iPhone users are opting for the big screen - mainly to avoid carrying 2 devices - (e.g. why have an iPad mini and a iPhone when you can have one 5-6" phone?).

Also anyone over 45 with bad eyesight (the marketshare with $$$), needs a bigger screen. Also many men (like my Dad) have fingers too big for the iPhone. If a 6" iPhone came out, my family and I would buy 4 tomorrow - I don't really want to buy a bunch of mini's.

• Reply 36 of 48
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

Tim Cook is a genius. He is one of the main reasons that Apple has been so successful and why they have so much cash and no debt. Another reason why Apple is so successful is that they do not listen to stupid marketing advice from the unqualified.

Now the real dummy boys work for the competition.

Do you work for Tim Cook? I've read all your posts, and they sound suspiciously like corporate messaging.

• Reply 37 of 48
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member

Anecdotally, I'm seeing vastly more deviation in quality from Apple than I have in the past. For reference, I've been an Apple user commercially since 1985, and have been 100% Apple in my home and workplace since 2006, so I've  bit of tread under me when I make that assertion. Their issues with quality and customer service have been steadily trending negative in my perception since Tim Cook took over the reigns at Apple. 

What used to be a no-brainer decision in terms of plug-n-play, it just works, think different, etc. is now something substantially watered down. For example, Apple's trend towards a multiplicity of adapters — all the while espousing the concept of simplicity — reveals the slight-of-hand that weakens the perception AND reality of their brand. 

So goes the trend towards the elimination of functionality from products in the guise of simplicity (OS X 10.8), the generally buggy nature of code emanating from the mothership (Safari 6, OS X 10.8, iOS, et. al), the sheer absence of capability such as the lack of basic iOS functionality (universal printing, easy saving, robust sharing, feature-starved iCloud, dysfunctional email [how many steps should attaching multiple images to an email take])...

Apple, under Tim Cook's leadership, IMHO, has regressed to a state of disjointed union and suspicious quality. The problem with greatness is that anything less feels abysmal. I *hope* they're able to turn the boat around, truly.

• Reply 38 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What a horse-shit article. Apple has been "doomed" every 6 months for as long as I can remember. Pretty much every single decision they've ever made has been panned by Wallstreet, investors, and the press. Every single time they've been successful, they've done it by proving everyone wrong. Every fucking product that ever came out is hyped as an "i-X" killer, since the iPod days, with editorial after editorial predicting that Apple is in a "bubble" and their demise is just around the corner.  This has been going on for at least a decade. Apple has been on the defensive it's entire existence, constantly being mocked and ridiculed. 

The only thing that I find new now, is that journalistic integrity is worse than it's ever been, and you have large, formerly respectable publications spreading outright lies, and falsities, that have absolutely no basis in fact, because of God knows what agenda. This goes far beyond opinion: horse-shit is being peddled as fact every day, and good Apple news is twisted into negative news. It's just gotten worse lately, and no other tech company has had it near this bad. Yes, even Microsoft, as a monopoly, never got these types of garbage articles that made shit up simply for the sake of it even when it was untouchable. Now, instead of mocking Apple, the clowns have elegantly transitioned to lying in order to make the company look as bad as possible. 

The people at Apple have a thick skin, I have no doubt they will keep their eye on the ball, ignore this noise, and do whats in the best long term interest of Apple, and of consumers. 

• Reply 39 of 48
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Anecdotally, I'm seeing vastly more deviation in quality from Apple than I have in the past. For reference, I've been an Apple user commercially since 1985, and have been 100% Apple in my home and workplace since 2006, so I've  bit of tread under me when I make that assertion. Their issues with quality and customer service have been steadily trending negative in my perception since Tim Cook took over the reigns at Apple. 

What used to be a no-brainer decision in terms of plug-n-play, it just works, think different, etc. is now something substantially watered down. For example, Apple's trend towards a multiplicity of adapters — all the while espousing the concept of simplicity — reveals the slight-of-hand that weakens the perception AND reality of their brand. 

So goes the trend towards the elimination of functionality from products in the guise of simplicity (OS X 10.8), the generally buggy nature of code emanating from the mothership (Safari 6, OS X 10.8, iOS, et. al), the sheer absence of capability such as the lack of basic iOS functionality (universal printing, easy saving, robust sharing, feature-starved iCloud, dysfunctional email [how many steps should attaching multiple images to an email take])...

Apple, under Tim Cook's leadership, IMHO, has regressed to a state of disjointed union and suspicious quality. The problem with greatness is that anything less feels abysmal. I *hope* they're able to turn the boat around, truly.

In that entire rant of yours, you havent stated a single fact to back any of your assertions. 

Where is a single instance of functionality being "lost" under Tim Cook? What is now less capable than it used to be under Steve Jobs? What "elimination of functinality" from 10.8? I've been using OSX for the past decade, I would notice if anything went missing. All the shit you bitch about has only improved. Your post is a classic example of a bunch of words than mean absolutely nothing, because you don't back them up with real, justifable, reasonable, real world examples? There's nothing 'disjointed' about Apple of today, the hardware and software product line is more unified than its been in Apple's history, the build quality of the hardware (Retina Macbooks, iPods, iPhone 5, iPad mini, etc) is the best it's EVER been, and so on and so forth. You're desperately trying to come up with a narrative that the evidence does not support, all for the sake of concern trolling and reminiscing about a time when Apple's products had more and limitations issues than they do today. 

• Reply 40 of 48
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 369member
    It is hard to defend against this. Once you start you can never stop. And not responding to a lie, will make it the truth in the media. Better to not comment. Just run the company well and make great products.