The Complete and Utter P.R. failure of Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    prizmprizm Posts: 12member

Never once did I say Apple is doomed, man.

I said they do a horrid job of P.R.   As in doing nothing.

In modern marketing, it's irresponsible.

• Reply 22 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Prizm View Post

Never once did I say Apple is doomed, man.

Another day of flushing billions of dollars down the toilet.

Great job Apple.  Great job.

No, I can't see where that would have happened.

I said they do a horrid job of P.R.   As in doing nothing.

Except they're not, which is sort of the point.

In modern marketing, it's irresponsible.

So 'modern' marketing began roughly five months ago? Because this is the same thing they've been doing the past fifteen years, and it worked through all of them.

• Reply 23 of 32

In 5 months they've lost 35 percent of their market cap... so yeah... there's that.  Hundreds of billions of dollars.

There's a difference between business as usual. And just pure, unadulterated stupidity.

• Reply 24 of 32

There's a difference between business as usual. And just pure, unadulterated stupidity.

The chasm in understanding certainly seems to be that large.

• Reply 25 of 32
    Basic math. It's your friend.
  • Reply 26 of 32

Basic math. It's your friend.

That basic math winds up with 13 billion in quarterly profit. Fourth highest of all time. And they sold almost a million fewer product.

Come on, man.

• Reply 27 of 32
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member

Firstly, Tim Cook is doing a GREAT JOB as Apple CEO. It isn't HIS FAULT that some seemingly illegal (should be) conspiracy to take his business down to benefit certain others with a dog in that race have become increasingly fabricated-ly off their rockers. I haven't seen bullsh*t pass of as "Journalism* ever. It's incredible that it can be legal.

However, secondly, I think the one area Tim Cooks MGMT has "failed" (THUS FAR) is in PR. Lots could have been done to maintain control. Either he/they don't care and just focus on the business, or they aren't doing their jobs in THAT regard. 

Even things like when they announced the Dividend. WHY on the weekend of reporting blockbuster iPad sales? When the stock was flying? WHY do they have the ex-date and record date so close together? They aren't even trying to get people to hold the stock for long periods of time, which is the whole point of a Dividend (stabilization). Why just give their money away like that? Most companies make you hold for a long time to receive your Dividend (as it should be).

IF you're gonna step in the ring and play W.S games, then don't make it look like you're doing it carelessly, kicking and screaming. You have to feed those arrogant idiotic sharks, give them something to chew, or control and divert the conversation.

Tim should be guarding the $400's with his life and job, which is how I see it. However, he's allowed the sentiment to get so powerful, it literally has BECOME the Wall Street perception of Apple. And it DOES start to effect public perception of the company to some degree. I.e like my Brother who barely knows what "Stocks" are, brings up "What happened to Apple stock"? The media is on a jointed effort to make Apple sound "finished", "uncool", and it's bullcrap, but they're trying to convince one mind at a time, and succeeding on some of those who are ignorant enough to believe it.

I am not an Apple doomsdayer, I think the company is doing better than ever, innovating at the top of its classes, and iPhone 5 is a HUGE HIT, annihilating the lousy GS3 in sales, which the media CLAMORED over in that it wouldn't happen.... then when it did? Nothing, crickets. It's a fixed sentiment right now, largely payed for by the record-breaking anti-Apple media budget of those thieves, Samsung, and Apple is letting it get the best of them, all whilst they're doing INCREDIBLY, posting the best quarters in HISTORY OF THE WORLD, and T.C has done a REMARKABLE JOB of transitioning a company who just lost the most prolific CEO perhaps in history.

The only thing left is to regain control of the sentiment, and they have the FACTS to prove it, to fight off the FABRICATIONS of the naysayers. IMO, Apple needs to become more transparent. Not on products, but on PR. Also, they've let their advertisements get lost in translation. While Samsung is damagingly bullying them in ads (which IMO makes Samsung look even worse than those thieves already do, but unfortunately generates some mind-control of the ignorant), Apple has seemingly a small and soft media presence. They barely advertised iPhone 5, it's like they gave up on that phone and it STILL posted record results. They let Samsung take the media momentum and shift it back their way.

• Reply 28 of 32

Enlighten me.... over the years what percentage of iPhones had parts in them by the people most peeps dis?

Have fun getting you Apple at Walmart when subsidized plans vanish in about 2 years.

• Reply 29 of 32

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Enlighten me.... over the years what percentage of iPhones had parts in them by the people most peeps dis?

I'm just trying to figure out why what you're saying matters or why you think it's somehow a rebuttal and not extra proof of what most say.

Have fun getting you Apple at Walmart when subsidized plans vanish in about 2 years.

You can get an iPhone at Wal-Mart now. What's your point? And where's your proof that subsidies will disappear? 

• Reply 30 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    proof that subsidies will disappear?

T-Mobile looks to be one of the first:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/01/t-mobile-says-iphone-coming-subsidies-going-in-3-4-months/

I saw a page suggesting they will offer discounts on the upfront cost though. The iPhone 5 is $650 off-contract according to AT&T and it looks like what they will do is apply a discount so they might ask for $450 up front and then lock the buyer into a contract in order to recoup the costs of the discount.

I think it will just drive people away from T-Mobile when other providers will offer the phones free on more expensive contracts. I reckon more people will pay $40 for 24 months = $960 vs $450 + $20 for 24 months = $930. After the contract is up, you can switch to a cheaper plan. They obviously feel that they will make more money without subsidies but I can see a lot of customers being put off by the initial price.

Some people think this will drive people away from Apple but the Galaxy S3 is only $100 cheaper and a worse product.
  • Reply 31 of 32

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I saw a page suggesting they will offer discounts on the upfront cost though. The iPhone 5 is $650 off-contract according to AT&T and it looks like what they will do is apply a discount so they might ask for $450 up front and then lock the buyer into a contract in order to recoup the costs of the discount.

That's different from a subsidy in name only. image

Though you're right; it's probably what they'll do.

• Reply 32 of 32

^ It's o.k. Most are stuck in the Matrix.