Rumor: Production of Apple's 'iPhone 5S' now underway at Foxconn

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Fresh rumors out of the Far East say that Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn has already started production of the so-called iPhone 5S, with the next-generation handset reportedly being built on the same lines as the current iPhone 5.

Citing a source familiar with the matter, Japanese Apple blog MacOtakara reported that Foxconn is starting to ramp up production of Apple's iPhone 5 successor. The site noted that because the design of the "iPhone 5S" is substantially the same to the company's existing handset, little to no tooling is needed to manufacture the two models on the same production lines.

iPhone 5

In a note to investors in January, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek estimated that production of the next-generation iPhone would begin in March ahead of a launch expected in either June or July. He also predicted that Apple will be launching a second smartphone alongside the 5S, possibly a much-rumored low-cost version targeted at developing markets.

MacOtakara also claimed that Japan's number one cellular provider NTT DoCoMo, which is not yet an Apple partner carrier, is apparently reducing orders for Android-based smartphones for the upcoming fall 2013 season. The supposed move has prompted rival carriers to speculate that DoCoMo may soon start sales of the iPhone.

Rumors surrounding the release of Apple's next-gen smartphone have been heating up, with two reports on Monday claiming the iPhone 5S will likely see a summer rollout. The exact dates haven't been pinned down, with predictions ranging from a June announcement to a release in August.

Just as previous "S version" iPhones, the forthcoming model is not expected to see a design change, and will instead benefit from updated internal components. While a faster A-series SoC is almost a given, some rumors point to an upgraded camera or camera lens assembly and the possible implementation of a Smart Flash that uses white and yellow LEDs to improve image color rendition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Since I skipped the 5 (still extremely satisfied with my 4S) I think this will be my next phone. 

• Reply 2 of 53
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member

I'm still on my 4. Haven't seen a hugely compelling reason to upgrade, particularly as the 3GS blew my 3G away, and the 4S blew my 4 away. I think I'll continue holding off a few more months for the 5S...

• Reply 3 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I'm still on my 4. Haven't seen a hugely compelling reason to upgrade, particularly as the 3GS blew my 3G away, and the 4S blew my 4 away. I think I'll continue holding off a few more months for the 5S...

I'm also still on the 4 (and wife on my old 3g). I'm tired of paying the same monthly fee as if I was paying a phone subsidy though, it's ridiculous. I need to figure out what other carriers besides ATT work in my area or start getting new phones every two years.

Doesn't this seem early for production to be starting? Assuming it's true, I would think the release is going to be sooner (June?) rather than later (Aug/Sep).

• Reply 4 of 53

I wonder if they will release the 5s in different colors

• Reply 5 of 53
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I started having buyers remorse after I bought the 5 and considered returning it and going back to my 4S but it's just so damn fast, I couldn't do it.

• Reply 6 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Since I skipped the 5 (still extremely satisfied with my 4S) I think this will be my next phone. 

I'm with ya, Slurp!

It was really hard for me to skip the 5...bought my daughter one instead!  :)

• Reply 7 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

I hope so.  Colors are cool compared to just plain black & white.

• Reply 8 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm on the 4S. will probably wait for the 6 unless Apple goes bankrupt.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm with ya, Slurp!

It was really hard for me to skip the 5...bought my daughter one instead!  :)

As much as I like Apple products, I try to make sure all my buying decisions are rational, and quantify what tangible benefits I'm getting for my money. I always phone phones outright, since I'm not on a contract.  I couldn't justify a 5, seeing as how I had no major complaints about the 4S, and the 5 did not offer any hardware/software benefits that would enhance my day to day usage in any significant way, even though it was an improved product in every single way. 

• Reply 10 of 53
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

If Apple keeps this up, 4, 4S, 5, 5S whereby the "S" version is the same only with better internals, I think starting off with the "S" version is the way to go.  Sure when the 6, 7, 8, etc version comes out it will have the latest cool redesign or some new functionality, but a year later you get the souped up premium version. image

• Reply 11 of 53
    As much as I like the latest and greatest apple gear, Rot'n... I have a tendacy to agree with u. :)
  • Reply 12 of 53
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    I had the 4, and got the 5 day 1. My wife finally decided to go iPhone (from feature phone) at the same time they announced the 5. Picked up the 4S for $99. She loves it but when she holds my 5 she still, six months later, says, "damn this is light" and partially wishes she had forked over the extra $100
  • Reply 13 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    djames4242 wrote: »

I appreciate the dilemma; the 4/4S is a beautiful phone, and there are things I do like about the design more than my 5. However, Siri, thinner, better camera, and out of contract makes upgrading a pretty logical choice.

For me, it is funny that I can have trouble finding my 5 in my pockets. It isn't as heavy and noticeable as the 4, so it really seems to disappear. My biggest complaint is simply needing to buy 4-5 extra lightning cables. I am not ready to upgrade my third generation iPad yet, so I am stuck with two different cords. I figure it is $100 I have to spend now that should last me at least another 5-6 years minimum.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

I really hope so. I think it could spark some excitement. It would be an obvious advantage over Samsung in desirability. 

• Reply 15 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I really hope so. I think it could spark some excitement. It would be an obvious advantage over Samsung in desirability. 

Agreed!

• Reply 16 of 53
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I'm also still on the 4 (and wife on my old 3g). I'm tired of paying the same monthly fee as if I was paying a phone subsidy though, it's ridiculous. I need to figure out what other carriers besides ATT work in my area or start getting new phones every two years.

For those that buy their phones outright and not going through ATT, Sprint, or Verizon- I get not upgrading at times. But for those who are going through those providers already- you're only doing yourself a disservice not upgrading. You can sell a 2 year old iPhone for within $20 of a brand new subsudized iPhone. So every two years, get the latest and greatest. The only person wanting you to hold onto your old phone is the service provider. Take advantage of the subsidy, upgrade, then sell your old phone and its basically a wash.

You have my blessing unfettered- I agree with you. :)
  • Reply 17 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Fresh rumors out of the Far East say that Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn has already started production of the so-called iPhone 5S, with the next-generation handset reportedly being built on the same lines as the current iPhone 5.

If it's already in production, that would mean an introduction by May. So we now have one rumor saying they're in production (which would mean May shipment). Another one says June/July. Another says this fall.

See why it's not worth paying any attention to these rumors?
  • Reply 18 of 53
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

I loved my 4S.  It was just a beautiful phone, and I had always skipped a generation -- 1st gen., 3GS, 4S -- but I couldn't resist the 5.  Plus, considering that Apple gave me $250 for my 4S, I barely had to shell out cash to get the 5.

That being said, I seriously doubt I will upgrade this time.  Unless there are major changes, which seems unlikely, I'll stick with my 5 until the 6 comes out.

• Reply 19 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If it's already in production, that would mean an introduction by May. So we now have one rumor saying they're in production (which would mean May shipment). Another one says June/July. Another says this fall.

See why it's not worth paying any attention to these rumors?

Rene Ritchie, over at iMore.com, says iPad (5th gen) for April time frame and iPhone 5S for August time frame.  Right now I'll go with his rumor since he's got an excellent track record.

• Reply 20 of 53
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    I am wondering if this is the China Mobile version of the iPhone 5 (a la the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4) rather than a true iPhone 5s in production.