Rumor: Production of Apple's 'iPhone 5S' now underway at Foxconn

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I am wondering if this is the China Mobile version of the iPhone 5 (a la the Verizon CDMA iPhone 4) rather than a true iPhone 5s in production.

Perhaps.

Another thing to remember is how much trouble they had filling orders for the iPhone 5, because of the extra difficulty in manufacturing without visual defects, which has slowed output.

It's possible that they felt they had to start building inventory earlier than usual.

Assuming the rumor is true, that is.

• Reply 22 of 53
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Why? What has changed since the 5 was released that a minor update is required this soon?

Sorry, but this rumor is stupid. People are already going to be upset enough when the iPad 5 is announced in the coming weeks.

• Reply 23 of 53
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I loved my 4S.  It was just a beautiful phone, and I had always skipped a generation -- 1st gen., 3GS, 4S -- but I couldn't resist the 5.  Plus, considering that Apple gave me $250 for my 4S, I barely had to shell out cash to get the 5.

That being said, I seriously doubt I will upgrade this time.  Unless there are major changes, which seems unlikely, I'll stick with my 5 until the 6 comes out.

I upgraded simply because I live in a market with LTE. If not for that, I'd still be carrying around my 4S because that extra inch of screen real estate makes not a difference in the world.

• Reply 24 of 53
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    The only problem I have with my iPhone 4 is 16GB is just a bit tight for all the Apps and files I have on it.
    Next time I'll seriously consider getting 32GB of memory.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Why? What has changed since the 5 was released that a minor update is required this soon?

Sorry, but this rumor is stupid. People are already going to be upset enough when the iPad 5 is announced in the coming weeks.

Then those people are morons. There's no reason to be upset. Apple HAD to update the iPad along with the iPad mini launch, to justify the price difference between the two (as well as to switch to the new connector, etc) It was completely logical. A redesigned iPad should still be expected for April.  The iPad 3 is still great, and the iPad 4 will still be great even after the new one is released. 

• Reply 26 of 53
    I'd settle for a very simple update:

I say "Turn on Bluetooth" and Siri turns on Bluetooth.

I realize such a feature would represent a huge technological leap for Apple, but we can always hope, yes?
  • Reply 27 of 53
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I'm also still on the 4 (and wife on my old 3g). I'm tired of paying the same monthly fee as if I was paying a phone subsidy though, it's ridiculous. I need to figure out what other carriers besides ATT work in my area or start getting new phones every two years.

Doesn't this seem early for production to be starting? Assuming it's true, I would think the release is going to be sooner (June?) rather than later (Aug/Sep).

I have an Apple unlocked phone on T-Mobile. The upfront cost is higher if you want a new iPhone. However, if you take the cost of a $649 iPhone 5 and substract the $199 upfront cost for the subsidy and divide the remaining amount by the length of the 24 month subsidy you come up with a little less than $19 a month. Add that to the $59 dollars a month you will be paying for an unlimited everything play on T-Mobile, and the monthly cost is about $76 a month (excluding taxes). On AT&T the same plan costs over $130 a month and isn't unlimited and doesn't include tethering. You can make the plan cheaper if you want to cut things out. For instance, on T-Mobile you don't even need to have a data plan with an iPhone (e.g. if you can get by with wi-fi), which isn't the case on AT&T. 

• Reply 28 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

I'd settle for a very simple update: I say "Turn on Bluetooth" and Siri turns on Bluetooth. I realize such a feature would represent a huge technological leap for Apple, but we can always hope, yes?

Great idea. 

• Reply 29 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

A new Samsung Galaxy release. 

• Reply 30 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I had the 4, and got the 5 day 1. My wife finally decided to go iPhone (from feature phone) at the same time they announced the 5. Picked up the 4S for $99. She loves it but when she holds my 5 she still, six months later, says, "damn this is light" and partially wishes she had forked over the extra $100

The iPhone 5 is a much better phone than the 4 or 4S, and they both are great phones. The iPhone 5 is significantly lighter, much faster, and outright beautiful. I still am sometimes amazed when I pick it up.

• Reply 31 of 53
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

I'd settle for a very simple update: I say "Turn on Bluetooth" and Siri turns on Bluetooth. I realize such a feature would represent a huge technological leap for Apple, but we can always hope, yes?

Siri doesn't do/say a thing for me.

I prefer to use my iPhone quietly, I don't want people wondering why I'm talking to myself !   image

• Reply 32 of 53
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

I wonder if they will release the 5s in different colors

I would think the cream and black of stylish cars and motorcycles of the forties would be fitting.

And so how much Facsimile Sam will be in this next class of iPhones. How soon till Apple is free from that nightmare?

• Reply 33 of 53
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    At this point with all of my iOS devices, as well as my clients all working just fine for their needs... I want to wait before purchasing anything new, to see what Apple has in store for us with iOS 7.

It is with iOS 7 that Apple needs to be working day and night on, and really "wow" us this year. ;)
  • Reply 34 of 53

people will start to worry the delay of delivery due to production problems may affect iphone 5s production and AAPL drops.

• Reply 35 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    josha wrote: »

Siri doesn't do/say a thing for me.
    I prefer to use my iPhone quietly, I don't want people wondering why I'm talking to myself !   ;)

I use Siri all the time - mostly for dictating emails and texts. If you're holding the phone up close to your mouth, you don't need to speak that loudly - and it's obvious that you'er not talking to yourself. I don't, however, do that in a crowded place.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

At this point with all of my iOS devices, as well as my clients all working just fine for their needs... I want to wait before purchasing anything new, to see what Apple has in store for us with iOS 7.

It is with iOS 7 that Apple needs to be working day and night on, and really "wow" us this year. image

Yes exactly.  I don't expect the 5S to be more than a small spec bump on the processor and graphics given Apple's history so far.  We NEED a great iOS 7, with much more WOW than 5 or 6 was.  If Apple doesn't do much more this year than small hardware bumps and minor OS updates, that's going to be disappointing.

• Reply 37 of 53
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

A new Samsung Galaxy release. 

I agree, Apple could take some wind out of Sammy's sails. Also, moving iPhone production earlier in the calendar year can free up resources to have ample supply before fall arrives. They then would spread out iPad and iPad mini between earlier and later in the calendar year in six month cycles. later in the year. In addition to spring, the latter two will continue to be major sales leaders during the holiday shopping season, perhaps even more than iPhone.

Q2-iMac/MacBook

Q3-iPad

Q4-iPhone/iPod touch/iTunes

Q1-iPad/(MacPro?)

Obviously, much of this is subject to changes due to supplier performance and component availability.

• Reply 38 of 53
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I'm still on my 4. Haven't seen a hugely compelling reason to upgrade, particularly as the 3GS blew my 3G away, and the 4S blew my 4 away. I think I'll continue holding off a few more months for the 5S...

I also have a 4s. Great design. Solid. It would be great if they would also update the 4s specs- LTE, processor etc.( I guess they can't fit the newer chips in which is shame). For myself I don't need a larger phone.

• Reply 39 of 53
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Back when I had the iPhone4S I jailbroke it and added an application that allowed me to assign particular functions to swipe gestures.  I assigned "toggle bluetooth" to "swipe up from bottom" and it worked perfectly every single time.  I absolutely loved it.  It allowed me to hop in my jeep, swipe up for automatic connection to my phone/speaker system, and then an identical swipe when I got out of the car.  I understand a little why Apple wouldn't allow swipes from the side, as they're a bit more difficult, but there is a bezel at the bottom that makes the "swipe from bottom" an incredibly easy, "no miss" situation.  I also used "swipe up diagonally from bottom right" for wifi toggle.  Worked well every time.  Both of these gestures are so intuitive, so easy, and so reliable, I don't understand why Apple hasn't implemented them. 

I really wish Apple would implement a "creative" and "formal" or "pro" mode, allowing you to go into settings to turn on "creative," which would allow you to assign extra gestures, or perhaps alter a limited number of things like the animation for moving from page to page, etc.  It could be a very simple feature that is automatically "off" so that users who want to "keep it simple" don't need to bother with it.  I think this would allow many Apple users to "customize" while also allowing apple to delimit the range of this customization and retain control of the optimal experience.  Would it really be so much of a stretch to have a limited "customize" option in the settings allowing for a few of the enjoyable cydia-style options but done formally through Apple? 

I don't think Apple "needs" to do this...but it'd be nice. 

[Edit: I responded because I don't particularly enjoy talking to my phone...it takes a certain mental/emotional energy to open my mouth, whereas if I'm already holding my phone, a simple gesture or a few quick taps are typically much faster than holding to wait for Siri, talking, and then waiting for it to process the request.]

• Reply 40 of 53
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Rene Ritchie, over at iMore.com, says iPad (5th gen) for April time frame and iPhone 5S for August time frame.  Right now I'll go with his rumor since he's got an excellent track record.

This aligns more with the classic 'Spring is for business, Fall is for consumers" tick tock.   The fact that the out of sequence iPad (the 's' model) came out last fall, was more the 'for those who want one adapter to rule them all (Lightning) which would be a consumer driven decision.   

I wouldn't be surprised with a blow the doors off lineup of iPad, then Macbook(retina0) and Mac Pro this spring in a series of announcements.   And all the hardware lining up for releases for iOS 7 and Mac OS X 10.9 (hmmm  X.10.10  will be repetitively  redundant, and repetitious ;-) that we can only hope marry these two cousin computing families tighter through the iCloud (4.0... maybe... just maybe they'll get it right soon).