New TiBook or new iBook ??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm about to purchase a TiBook 667 DVI in the next few days and the thing is that I'm kinda strapped for cash. I want the TiBook and all the power, but it's kinda of expensive for me even after the Student Developer discount. I mostly just want to do regular things on the laptop and some photoshop work, and some games like WC3. I'm debating about whether or not I should just go for a iBook 700 or not too. My options are:

TiBook w/ 512 extra RAM for a 768meg total

TiBook w/ 256 extra RAM for a 512meg total

TiBook w/ no extra RAM and wait to get more RAM later

iBook 700 w/ no RAM or maybe and upgrade (harder to upgrade since all mem configs are 2 DIMMS though)

What does everyone here think? I don't play games as much as I used to, but I *think* I might get WC3 and I don't want it to be jerky. I could save myself a lot of money by getting the iBook over the TiBook, but is it really worth it. I will be using this laptop as a desktop replacement, but I seriously don't do much more then browse the web / play music / watch movies / etc on my desktop. I have tons of games for the PC, but I haven't played any of them in a while. And WC3 is the only recent game that I would consider getting into ( not much into Morrowwind or Neverwinter Night ). Everyone tells me that I should get a TiBook for the extra performance, but is it really worth the extra $500 that it would cost me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>I'm about to purchase a TiBook 667 DVI in the next few days and the thing is that I'm kinda strapped for cash. I want the TiBook and all the power, but it's kinda of expensive for me even after the Student Developer discount. I mostly just want to do regular things on the laptop and some photoshop work, and some games like WC3. I'm debating about whether or not I should just go for a iBook 700 or not too. My options are:

TiBook w/ 512 extra RAM for a 768meg total

TiBook w/ 256 extra RAM for a 512meg total

TiBook w/ no extra RAM and wait to get more RAM later

iBook 700 w/ no RAM or maybe and upgrade (harder to upgrade since all mem configs are 2 DIMMS though)

What does everyone here think? I don't play games as much as I used to, but I *think* I might get WC3 and I don't want it to be jerky. I could save myself a lot of money by getting the iBook over the TiBook, but is it really worth it. I will be using this laptop as a desktop replacement, but I seriously don't do much more then browse the web / play music / watch movies / etc on my desktop. I have tons of games for the PC, but I haven't played any of them in a while. And WC3 is the only recent game that I would consider getting into ( not much into Morrowwind or Neverwinter Night ). Everyone tells me that I should get a TiBook for the extra performance, but is it really worth the extra $500 that it would cost me?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, go for the TiBook, the G4 vs the G3 makes a world of difference. You might want to hold off on the extra memory (I'm assuming you're getting the memory direct from Apple) as you'll be able to save some cash by shopping around for the RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    No, I'm talking about buying the RAM from <a href="http://www.mohawkmem.com"; target="_blank">mohawkmem.com</a>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    The deal is that I have $1600 stored away for this and I won't have that much money left after this summer ( about $600 ) if buy the TiBook with the 768meg of RAM. And some of that money left over needs to get my gf a birthday present too. That's why I'm asking if running on a iBook 700 would do as well.

TiBook w/ 768meg RAM:

$1999 + $79 for Airport Card + $100 to join Apple Student Developers (for discount that gets the 667 DVI price so low) + 149 for RAM (could be 129 if I get stacked) = $2327 ( not including shipping)

iBook w/ 640meg RAM:

$1530 + $100 Apple Student Developers + $84 airport card + 129 for RAM = $1843

The $500 dollar difference is what I'm weighing here. Since I have $1600 saved for this, the rest comes out of my pocket.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    stjobsstjobs Posts: 45member
    Get the TiBook, I love mine If you want to play ANY 3D games the iBook will not really cut it. Quake 3, UT, and RtCW run really well on my 667 mHz TiBook. the bigger screen is awesome too!

stjobs
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I went with a iBook last year and I sure wish i went for the TiBook
  • Reply 6 of 10
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I got tthe Tibook 800Mhz a few months back and I tell you its the best thing I have had in years!

• Reply 7 of 10
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    Bah.

Get the iBook. Small is good. Sturdy is good. Cheap is good.

ting5, iBook whore
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Isn't the iBook a bunch slower though? because of the G3. I mean, I like the sturdy part, but more screen real-estate ( I'm a programmer and screen real-estate is prime ) and faster system seems like it's the way to go.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    benben Posts: 3member
    I faced a similar situation back when I bought my B&W G3: the imac came with a screen and a the processor was a similar G3, but the B&W tower had the faster sys bus, more level 2 cache and I could connect a bigger screen.

That was when I was a design student three years ago, it can still hold its own running recent graphics apps ill9, ps5.5. My friends who went the way of the imac CAN do all the stuff I do, it just takes longer and hurts their eyes.

TiBook over iBook.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    Go for the 667mhz G4 Powerbook. I just bought one a few days ago and I think its awesome. I play games on it with no problems at all. I also do a lot of photoshop stuff and it seems a lot faster than my old 533mhz desktop. Ibook is cool but the g4 has everything you could want and more.