Facebook unveils redesigned, cleaner News Feed coming to iPhone, iPad & Web

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In the coming weeks, Facebook users on iPhone, iPad and regular Web browsers will see a revamped News Feed designed to reduce clutter while becoming more colorful and visually stimulating.

Facebook's new look for News Feed was announced by the company on Thursday. The change will unify Facebook's appearance on smartphones, tablets, and traditional Web browsers.

The redesigned News Feed will become available on the official iPhone and iPad app in the "coming weeks," Facebook said, making Apple's mobile devices the first to receive the update. Android users will get the new look for News Feed "soon after," the company said.

Facebook

With the redesign, users of Facebook will have the option to choose between four different News Feed categories:
  • All Friends ??a feed that shows everything friends are sharing
  • Photos ? a feed with nothing but photos from friends and liked pages
  • Music ??a feed with posts about the music a user listens to
  • Following ? a feed with the latest news from the pages a user likes and the people they follow
Users can sign up to get an early look at Facebook's updated News Feed by joining the waiting list at facebook.com/about/newsfeed.

Users who subscribe to the official AppleInsider page on Facebook can receive updates on their account through the new "Following" News Feed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    chaosxchaosx Posts: 2member
    Wonder if they are making a slight sound when you click on the news feeds categories. I thought I heard it in the video.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosX View Post

Wonder if they are making a slight sound when you click on the news feeds categories. I thought I heard it in the video.

Was wondering that too lol

• Reply 3 of 14
    rigelianrigelian Posts: 44member
    Looks like a blue version of Google Plus
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tdmelvintdmelvin Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rigelian View Post

But with actual users...

• Reply 5 of 14
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Ha ha...

• Reply 6 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    AppleInsider should interview Big Nerd Ranch: They are the reason for the new Facebook app even existing as they consulted and trained Facebook on how to write cocoa apps.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Looks like more incentive to let FB spy on you !

FB will eventually have ALL info on EVERYONE, whether they join FB or not.   image

• Reply 8 of 14
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Facebook is so ridiculously full of advertisements now I don't even bother opening it anymore.  If, as I do, you only access it on the iPad, there is a least one "full page" advertisement every day sometimes many multiple times a day.  If you consider "recommended applications!" adverts as well (they are of course), then the number is even higher.  

This is especially disgusting if (again like I do), you are in the habit of using adblockers on your desktop computer.  I haven't seen an advert on the web for at least five years, so when Facebook throws up all these giant picture advertisements every day it just comes off as disgusting.  

Adverts, extreme censorship, privacy invasions ... I really don't think I will ever understand what people see in Facebook.  

• Reply 9 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Adverts, extreme censorship, privacy invasions ... I really don't think I will ever understand what people see in Facebook.  

?     Gazoobee

?   Gazoobee

? Gazoobee

?Gazoobee

"You have poked Gazoobee!"

• Reply 10 of 14
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    How about they ditch the new "sponsored" postings and stop spamming us. As if they don't already make enough money already, now 1 out of 6 news feed items is spam.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    That video was very Apple-esque in the way they interviewed people and showed the product. Obviously not the quality though, seeing as they were in a basement with no ceiling, sort of like a sweatshop or something.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Not mentioned in this article is the major downside to the new supersized video and picture posts: Ads are now GINORMOUS and in your face to the point of humorously so. I've been test running the new layout all afternoon and it's ridiculous. If you were bothered by the sponsored posts before, oh boy are you in for some fun times now.

• Reply 13 of 14
    spaceraysspacerays Posts: 116member

Man I am still waiting for graph search after joining its waiting list, and now there's a waiting list for news feed too!

• Reply 14 of 14
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gazoobee wrote: »

[SIZE=24px]?     Gazoobee[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=24px]?   Gazoobee[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=24px]? Gazoobee[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=24px]?Gazoobee[/SIZE]

"You have poked Gazoobee!"

?

Fixed that for him