New study shows iOS gobbling up enterprise market share from Android

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Data harvested by enterprise file sharing and cloud storage company Egnyte shows Apple's iOS, led by the iPhone, is growing its share of the enterprise market, while Google's Android user base continues to contract.

According to TechCrunch, Egnyte tracked which mobile operating systems were being used to access the firm's servers, with the sample comprising of 100,000 paying customers over the past year and a half.

While the report does not reflect an exhaustive rundown of the worldwide enterprise market ? U.S. companies accounted for 80 percent of the data, with the remaining 20 percent attributed to European entities ? it gives an overview of how iOS and Android are faring in the corporate marketplace.

Egnyte
OS marketshare for Q3/Q4 2011 (left) and 2012 full-year (right). | Source: Egnyte

Until recently, the share of smartphones and tablets running Google's mobile platform had been holding steady at 30 percent, while iOS devices accounted for nearly 70 percent of Egnyte's traffic. Over the third and fourth quarters of 2011, the iPhone and iPad took a 28 percent and 40 percent share of traffic, respectively. Interestingly, usage of Apple's iOS products flip-flopped during 2012, with the iPhone capturing a 42 percent share, while the iPad fell to 27 percent.

However, preliminary data for the first quarter of 2013 shows Android impressions fell to 22 percent as the iPhone and iPad gained ground, accounting for a respective 48 percent and 30 percent of tracked users.

Egnyte
Preliminary OS marketshare data for Q1 2013

Speaking to the results, Egnyte told TechCrunch that smartphones are likely being used for many business-oriented tasks like checking and responding to corporate email. Another factor could be the current limitations of tablets, which have yet to completely replicate the usability of enterprise laptops.

"Apple seems to have at least temporarily won the hearts and minds of business users with its products accounting for about 70 percent of our traffic," the company said. "This is important because it?s a flip-flop from the days of old, where Apple products were rarely seen in the corporate landscape. It?s also an indication that when BYOD wrested control over what devices consumers used from IT, they overwhelmingly chose an easy to use product that focused on UI and usability, perhaps even at times over depth."

Thursday's report comes on the heels of another study conducted by mobile device, app and data security firm Good Technology, which found iOS devices accounted for 77 percent of all enterprise activations across its network for the fourth quarter of 2012. Over the same period, Android dropped from 29 percent of activations to 22.7 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    This seems to be consistent with the report from Good?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Yes. And it's really not surprising that the more tightly controlled software environment provided by Apple would be more popular with Enterprise.

• Reply 3 of 32
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    No surprise here.
    Android is unsecured and the Apple development platform is years ahead.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Uh, what, exactly are we supposed to do with those images in the article?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Sure. So AAPL will plummet again tomorrow. There's too much good news about Apple this week, so the analysts will have to make up for it by spreading more FUD.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Excellent, this should drop the stock another 10 points. After all, with all the inroads Apple is making in enterprise and education, markets which Android is getting absolutely no foothold in, Apple is surely fucking doomed.
  • Reply 7 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Amen, what's with the ridiculously small images that don't expand so you can actually read them?

• Reply 8 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

how to negatively spin this for WS's eyes...oooh, iPad use drops from 40% to 30% in over a year.

• Reply 9 of 32
    b.b..but ISO devices are just for media consumption. You cant do serious work with it.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    isaidso wrote: »

Ooo and ahhh
  • Reply 11 of 32
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Ooo and ahhh

For those who didn't see the article earlier; the images were illegibly small. (not mentioned in my OP)

But AI is on the case. image

• Reply 12 of 32
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

b.b..but ISO devices are just for media consumption. You cant do serious work with it.

That's still true. I looked at what people use their computers for where I work, and the bulk of it is running proprietary software with multiple simultaneous users, written for Windows, that is very keyboard intensive. There's no way to replace those seats with iPads, and even if it WAS possible, it wouldn't be a good idea because typing is comparatively slow and awkward on a touchscreen device.

• Reply 13 of 32
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure. So AAPL will plummet again tomorrow. There's too much good news about Apple this week, so the analysts will have to make up for it by spreading more FUD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Excellent, this should drop the stock another 10 points. After all, with all the inroads Apple is making in enterprise and education, markets which Android is getting absolutely no foothold in, Apple is surely fucking doomed.

Is that the limit of your cerebral scope - how $AAPL will react in the short term?

• Reply 14 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Well, according to FOX News, Newscorp is going to steal Apple's lunch money in the school market. Yup, Apple is on the defensive and sinking fast.

/s 

• Reply 15 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    v5v wrote: »
    That's still true. I looked at what people use their computers for where I work, and the bulk of it is running proprietary software with multiple simultaneous users, written for Windows, that is very keyboard intensive. There's no way to replace those seats with iPads, and even if it WAS possible, it wouldn't be a good idea because typing is comparatively slow and awkward on a touchscreen device.

I guess I missed the new law that says no one is allowed to do anything with their computers except what your backward company does.

I'll pay closer attention next time. /s
  • Reply 16 of 32
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    isaidso wrote: »
    Um look and comprehend maybe, is that too difficult of a task for you?
  • Reply 17 of 32
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess I missed the new law that says no one is allowed to do anything with their computers except what your backward company does.

I'll pay closer attention next time. /s

Okay big mouth. You think iPads are a useful tool for content creation? Show us how. Give me an example of a company that's in the business of creating content (like the "backward company" I work for), going through the various job functions -- audio, video, graphics, administration, finance, production, editing, writing, show planning, sales, security and any other department you can think of that I've missed -- and tell us exactly how ANY of those people are going to do their job on an iPad.

Here's a hint: You won't be able to because

A: you don't know the first goddam thing about what a content creating company actually does,

B: the iPad, despite being a useful device in its niche, is NOT a replacement for a desktop computer for many, many tasks.

Put up or shut the **** up. Or, y'know, since the former isn't possible, just the latter.

• Reply 18 of 32
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Um look and comprehend maybe, is that too difficult of a task for you?

Is it your mission to be as rude as possible to as many as possible on these forums?  If you'd bothered to read the thread (I know its a bit long, all 3/4 of a page), you would have known that initially the images were too small to read and didn't expand.

Your condescending tone in nearly all of your posts speaks volumes

• Reply 19 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    v5v wrote: »
    Okay big mouth. You think iPads are a useful tool for content creation? Show us how. Give me an example of a company that's in the business of creating content (like the "backward company" I work for), going through the various job functions -- audio, video, graphics, administration, finance, production, editing, writing, show planning, sales, security and any other department you can think of that I've missed -- and tell us exactly how ANY of those people are going to do their job on an iPad.

Here's a hint: You won't be able to because

A: you don't know the first goddam thing about what a content creating company actually does,
    B: the iPad, despite being a useful device in its niche, is NOT a replacement for a desktop computer for many, many tasks.

Put up or shut the **** up. Or, y'know, since the former isn't possible, just the latter.

Apparently you missed the stories about an author using an iPad to write a book or the New Yorker creating a cover with the iPad. Perhaps you don't know about Citrix for iPad either.
  • Reply 20 of 32

Looks like Apple has a case of Pacman Fever...num num num num