Report: DoD cuts BB10 test budget as trials of iOS and Android near completion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Pentagon's budget for BlackBerry 10 device testing will be cut dramatically in the near future, and with the Department of Defense finishing up testing on Android devices and Apple's iOS, the already struggling Canadian handset maker may lose even more ground in an industry where it was once a dominant force.

z10

Electronista reported on Thursday that the DoD, facing a mandatory 11 percent budget pullback due to the federal sequester, will be reducing the funds allotted to testing new devices in an effort to cut costs. As BlackBerry 10 devices have yet to be released in the United States, the program to test them for approval for use within the Department is thought to be "low-hanging fruit."

"We're almost done with the iOS and Android platform testing procedure, so that's fine," a source told Electronista. "BlackBerry is going to have to suck it up and not get properly tested for a while. Maybe never."

The DoD is not killing off the BB 10 testing program entirely, however, as a few devices and a test server are already in operation in a secure facility. Instead, the budget for obtaining more devices will likely be cut before more units can be procured.

Thursday's news could signify a considerable blow to BlackBerry, which has counted large organizations such as the DoD among its most faithful clientele for some time. The enterprise sector, though, is increasingly turning to Apple's iOS platform, and to a lesser extent Google's Android OS, for its information technology needs, .

There are currently about 470,000 BlackBerry devices in daily use at the DoD, none of which run BB 10 outside of the pilot program. The most recent financial reports for BlackBerry showed the company at about 78 million total subscribers worldwide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    "We're almost done with the iOS and Android platform testing procedure, so that's fine," a source told Electronista. "BlackBerry is going to have to suck it up and not get properly tested for a while. Maybe never."

OUCH!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I was going to post a snide comment or make a joke about how poorly BlackBerry is doing, but even a person as ruthless as myself sometimes finds it difficult to kick a man who's already bleeding and lying on the ground, even though they might deserve it.

When Steve Jobs said in 2007 that the iPhone was at least 5 years ahead of it's time, the man was not lying.

• Reply 3 of 12
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I can't understand why the DoD doesn't just choose iOS in light of the recent reports of Android malware. They should be also testing MS win phone just for diversification because it is a poor strategy to run all your computing or communication on one platform in case there is an exploit of one platform you are not completely disabled. But having to rely on a foreign company like BB for your communication services is never a good idea, which is why I wish Apple would bring their manufacturing back to the US.

• Reply 4 of 12
    Blackberry is down but I don't know if they are out. New device and OS looks good, as do early sales reports. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/blackberry-encouraged-by-early-z10-sales-ceo-says/article9474427/
  • Reply 5 of 12
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

When Steve Jobs said in 2007 that the iPhone was at least 5 years ahead of it's time, the man was not lying.

The interesting thing about Steve saying that is now that it's five years later, the iPhone OS is becoming stale and needs to be another five years ahead of it's time.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Oh, RIM will Fedex the US military as many devices as they want to test with.

They desperately want the gov't to approve their use, so departments and individuals can buy them and use them for work.

Testing units are chump change for RIM. They HAVE to get approved ASAP or else they won't have a chance with being adopted by gov't.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Has anyone actually tried one of the new BB devices? What are they like to use day-to-day? I've yet to give it a go myself.

• Reply 8 of 12
    lobolobo Posts: 3member

Chinese government hackers must be relieved DoD is not going for Blackberry.

• Reply 9 of 12
    mxh070mxh070 Posts: 2member
    Well bb10 has already been cleared by the US gov back in mid 2012 and holds FIPS 140-2 security classification apple nor android nor wp have reached this level of security clearance. Sure DoD will let the iphone and android in as don't they have a in house daycare the kids need to be entertained whole the parents are working. Apples ios6 has almost as many security holes as android I'm think apple rushed it to market to stop the bleeding from android devices. As for home Depot the news fails to say that they are only taking iphone 4 not iphone5 the depot is also getting a huge discount for taking a dated os and hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mxh070 View Post

Well bb10 has already been cleared by the US gov back in mid 2012 and holds FIPS 140-2 security classification apple nor android nor wp have reached this level of security clearance. Sure DoD will let the iphone and android in as don't they have a in house daycare the kids need to be entertained whole the parents are working. Apples ios6 has almost as many security holes as android I'm think apple rushed it to market to stop the bleeding from android devices. As for home Depot the news fails to say that they are only taking iphone 4 not iphone5 the depot is also getting a huge discount for taking a dated os and hardware.

Look, RIM employee. We don't give a flying frick about your FUD. We can see right through your lies. 

If this is an attempt at "marketing", you should be ashamed. This turns people away from your platform, not toward it. 

Grow up.

• Reply 11 of 12
    mxh070mxh070 Posts: 2member
    Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion but I'm not a rim employee just a person that is tired of how fan boys like yourself keep bashing a product which has accomplished positive achievements yet those never are pointed out simply because it doesn't fuel the hate fire in your fan boy club. So fan boy if I hurt your feelings I will apologize but realize fan boy apple isn't the hot product it once was.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    itm81itm81 Posts: 1member

hey apple fan boy you are clearly undedcuated, apple are yet to release one OS which has not been comprimised, that is FACT. Smarter Governments like the Germans have adopted BB10 for the right reasons...iOS is the oldest platform on the market the sooner you wake up to that the sooner ull understand why their share price has started a downward spiral, either innovate or get left behind, hopefully the iWatch can save your beloved Apple