Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I've never once needed Google Maps except for transit... and even then, it's much easier for me to find the start end point in Apple Maps and then hit Apple's transit icon to launch Google Maps and see the schedule.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's nice. There are places where Apple Maps isn't perfect. There are also places where Google Maps isn't perfect. You haven't listed any of those.

In the end, it's quite simple:

Apple Maps has X mistakes.
    Google Maps has Y mistakes.

Unless you can prove that X > Y, your repeated claims that Apple Maps is inferior is nothing more than FUD. So where's your evidence?

It's funny how every published report says that Apple Maps is at least as good (often better) than Google Maps, but you never seem to pay any attention. You always come back to your one example. Why is that?

I think you should balance your demand for evidence by providing some of your own. Prove to me that Apple Maps has fewer errors than Google Maps. The burden of proof rests on you anyway since something new must be proven against the long-standing benchmark. For emphasis, we're talking about errors, so articles like this, which are about usability, are not proof of your point.
  • Reply 83 of 138
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I think you should balance your demand for evidence by providing some of your own. Prove to me that Apple Maps has fewer errors than Google Maps. The burden of proof rests on you anyway since something new must be proven against the long-standing benchmark. For emphasis, we're talking about errors, so articles like this, which are about usability, are not proof of your point.

He didn't claim that. He claimed there's no objective evidence that Google Maps is better, and there isn't. And no, Google Maps does not get a pass because it's been around longer. Being around longer might just mean you've had more time to become outdated.

The only reason this is even an issue is the Google/Motorola organized astroturfing campaign and blogger lobbying launched to coincide with the release of iPhone 5, iOS 6 and Apple Maps. Just like the disinformation campaigns we see at the launch of every new iPhone lately. If there's one thing Google is good at, it's propagandizing, and hooking in suckers like you. But, hey, it's "open" propaganda, right?

• Reply 84 of 138
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

He didn't claim that. He claimed there's no objective evidence that Google Maps is better, and there isn't. And no, Google Maps does not get a pass because it's been around longer. Being around longer might just mean you've had more time to become outdated.

The only reason this is even an issue is the Google/Motorola organized astroturfing campaign and blogger lobbying launched to coincide with the release of iPhone 5, iOS 6 and Apple Maps. Just like the disinformation campaigns we see at the launch of every new iPhone lately. If there's one thing Google is good at, it's propagandizing, and hooking in suckers like you. But, hey, it's "open" propaganda, right?

Apple Maps are shit in almost every area that Google Maps, Nokia Maps, Yahoo Maps, Open Street Map, Map Quest serve and are far inferior in almost every metric so what do you not understand about better POI and higher resolution imagery? Apple Maps is inferior on every level.

• Reply 85 of 138
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

[...] Unless you can prove that X > Y, your repeated claims that Apple Maps is inferior is nothing more than FUD. So where's your evidence?

Yeah, all these people are just Chicken Littles. People have nothing better to do than make up bullshit and post it on forums because... um, because, uh, what exactly would be their motivation to do that again? What's the payoff for doing that?

So, according to you, unless someone can comb 100% of the data across the entire planet and quantifiably prove a higher fault rate, it's a lie, huh? You can spend your life with your head buried in the sand (or wherever you've go it stuck) if you choose, but the rest of us don't need third-degree burns to recognize fire.

• Reply 86 of 138
    anonymouse wrote: »

He did claim that. He asserted that it was a lie to claim that Apple Maps had more errors than Google Maps without evidence, implying that Google should have to prove its worth against the Apple benchmark. In fact Google is the benchmark for mobile mapping, a position it enjoys for having been built out for such a long time. Being the benchmark doesn't mean it has no errors; it just means it's the best example of its type until unseated by a competitor. That competitor is Apple. I asked for evidence that Apple has unseated Google as the best example of mobile mapping in terms of data accuracy.
  • Reply 87 of 138
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

[...] The only reason this is even an issue is the Google/Motorola organized astroturfing campaign and blogger lobbying launched to coincide with the release of iPhone 5, iOS 6 and Apple Maps. Just like the disinformation campaigns we see at the launch of every new iPhone lately. If there's one thing Google is good at, it's propagandizing, and hooking in suckers like you.

You have GOT to be shittin' me. You really believe that? REALLY?! The THOUSANDS of people sharing their personal A-B comparisons are all Google shills? I wish I'd known that earlier. I haven't been getting my checks.

Seriously dude, you need more tinfoil in your hat.

• Reply 88 of 138
    After almost six months Maps has still the same bugs and two days ago I forgot about the bug with bookmarks (which makes you just go in circle...) and it was sending me back to Mountain View when I had to go to Cupertino from the center of San Jose (which I don't know well).
    And the search too is almost useless.
    But I heard from a friend at Apple they are working hard on it.
    Will see...
  • Reply 89 of 138
    Apple Maps works nicely in Montreal QC, and I like its UI better than the old Google Maps.

It really should feature public transit directions though.
  • Reply 90 of 138
    hfts wrote: »
    Ever thought why they did that?
    Perhaps being surrounded with pro-US enemies armed to the teeth, ready to destroy your country and kill your loved ones. I think throwing trash is minor, don't you? I bet you never did that ??????????

Nope we never did...
  • Reply 91 of 138
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

With ya there, use my Waze daily, both directions, to and from work.  And then some... 

BEcause if WAZE is incorrect/incomplete, it gets fixed by users as soon (usually within a day or two) as the user finds it.

• Reply 92 of 138
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Nope we never did...
    Bullshit.
  • Reply 93 of 138
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    There's no doubt that Apple Maps is fast becoming the leading map software, if not already. In terms of interface, it is second to none, and the few cosmetic glitches that were blown out of proportion when it launched, are the only things that stopped it from instantly being the #1 map app. What Apple has done with Maps is show how mapping, turn-by-turn, and voice can really be used well. Something that Google purposely held back from iOS in order to make Android appear superior, hence the need to sever ties with Google. Apple has shown, however, that they can take on those who have been doing maps for years, and give them a lesson. Give Apple maps a go - you'll never go back to Google once you used Maps.
  • Reply 94 of 138

This is a great story for a few reasons.  Obviously, it challenges the current meme that Apple can't even tie its shoes. I mean, the best-executing company on the planet must be doing _everything_ wrong, right?  

I, for one, am glad to see this article. Not because it proves something unrealistic - that Apple Maps is already better than Google Maps - but because it simply demonstrates on public platform that Apple Maps isn't an unmitigated disaster.

Perspective:

Google Maps was born as consumer product on February 8, 2005. That's 8 years ago. Shouldn't we expect it to be somewhat "better" _overall_ than Apple Maps? It's had a 7.5 year head start. Besides, doesn't anyone recall the criticisms and jokes about Google Maps when it launched?

Apple Maps was born as a consumer product on September 19, 2012. I've used it fairly heavily in Colorado and have experienced only _minor_ glitches. But whether an Apple Maps user has had a great time or a horrible time, Apple Maps is so new that some errors should be expected.  This is not an app that applies filters to photographs, critics, this is an app that has to map the entire planet.

• Reply 95 of 138
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Except for one thing. I never made a claim about accuracy. I'm simply pointing out that all the claims being made by Apple haters are not founded in evidence. There have been a number of reports where journalists tried to compare them side-by-side and Apple has done as well as Google or better in all of the ones I've seen. However, I'd be the first to admit that there has never been a comprehensive, global comparison.

The fact is that NO ONE has shown Apple Maps to be inferior in spite of all the whining.
    mstone wrote: »
    Apple Maps are shit in almost every area that Google Maps, Nokia Maps, Yahoo Maps, Open Street Map, Map Quest serve and are far inferior in almost every metric so what do you not understand about better POI and higher resolution imagery? Apple Maps is inferior on every level.

Every metric? How about the one that everyone is complaining about - accuracy.

Let me explain it again:
    Apple Maps has X errors.
    Google Maps has Y errors.
    Nokia Maps has Z errors.
    And so on

Since you claim that all these mapping solutions are better than Apple Maps, you must have evidence that X > Y, X > Z and so on. So where is the evidence?

Hint: evidence is not the plural of anecdote.
    v5v wrote: »
    So, according to you, unless someone can comb 100% of the data across the entire planet and quantifiably prove a higher fault rate, it's a lie, huh? You can spend your life with your head buried in the sand (or wherever you've go it stuck) if you choose, but the rest of us don't need third-degree burns to recognize fire.

Where did I say that? I said that if you're going to make a claim, you need to have evidence to back it up. Simply pulling a story out of your butt does not make it true. So where's the evidence to back up your claim?
    v5v wrote: »
    Yeah, all these people are just Chicken Littles. People have nothing better to do than make up bullshit and post it on forums because... um, because, uh, what exactly would be their motivation to do that again? What's the payoff for doing that?

That's a great question. I've been participating in discussions involving Apple for 2 decades now. At one time, it was all the Windows shills spending countless hours making up lies and posting drivel online. Then it was the Real Audio shills. Then the Nokia shills. Then the Samsung shills. Now the Google shills.

It's perfectly understandable to want to spend time talking about a product that you use and like. People like to talk about things that they use and enjoy. But I have never been able to figure out the motivation that causes people to spend hours on a site dedicated to a product that they don't use, don't know anything about, and insist that they would never use. Then they spread FUD and outright lies to put down the people who like something different than them.

I don't have an explanation for why people would do that. I certainly wouldn't consider spending time on an Android forum. Or a BMW forum (I don't particularly like BMWs). Or a McDonald's forum. So why are you and the others so keen to spend so many hours on Apple forums attacking Apple?

The only hypothesis I've been able to come up with is some kind of mental illness - probably related to narcissistic personality disorder. You simply can't stand the thought that someone would choose and prefer a product different than the one you use.
  • Reply 96 of 138
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

It's perfectly understandable to want to spend time talking about a product that you use and like. People like to talk about things that they use and enjoy. But I have never been able to figure out the motivation that causes people to spend hours on a site dedicated to a product that they don't use, don't know anything about, and insist that they would never use. Then they spread FUD and outright lies to put down the people who like something different than them.

I don't have an explanation for why people would do that. I certainly wouldn't consider spending time on an Android forum. Or a BMW forum (I don't particularly like BMWs). Or a McDonald's forum. So why are you and the others so keen to spend so many hours on Apple forums attacking Apple?

It surely couldn't have anything to do with the plethora of Android, Google, Microsoft and Samsung articles and references at AI, sometimes with no direct association with Apple or any of their products. 

(Samsung-insider anyone?)

...nah, couldn't be that.

• Reply 97 of 138
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It surely couldn't have anything to do with the plethora of Android, Google, Microsoft and Samsung articles and references at AI, sometimes with no direct association with Apple or any of their products. 
    (Samsung-insider anyone?)
    ...nah, couldn't be that.

Nope. It happens on every forum about Apple products - even if Samsung and Google are never mentioned. Same as back in the 90s when every Apple forum was flooded with Apple haters spreading lies and FUD.

Besides, if you didn't camp out at this site all the time, how would you even know that there were articles about Android, etc? Obviously, you're reading the site before you even know what's there. So please explain why you do that.

I'll amend my earlier comments. The best hypothesis I've come up with is that all the Apple haters suffer from some mental illness related to narcissistic personality disorder. However, there's another explanation - that they're paid to do so by Google, Samsung, etc.

So which one is your excuse?
  • Reply 98 of 138
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Nope. It happens on every forum about Apple products - even if Samsung and Google are never mentioned. Same as back in the 90s when every Apple forum was flooded with Apple haters spreading lies and FUD.

Besides, if you didn't camp out at this site all the time, how would you even know that there were articles about Android, etc? Obviously, you're reading the site before you even know what's there. So please explain why you do that.

I'll amend my earlier comments. The best hypothesis I've come up with is that all the Apple haters suffer from some mental illness related to narcissistic personality disorder. However, there's another explanation - that they're paid to do so by Google, Samsung, etc.

So which one is your excuse?

None of the above. I visit here for much the same reason as you. I'm truly intrigued by Apple and it business, the direction mobile technology is taking us, how the other tech players fit the picture, and to enjoy an exchange of ideas and outlooks with other respectful and thoughtful forum members.

At least I guess we come here for the same reasons. I can't imagine you only hang out to belittle others, sling insults, make silly shill claims and generally just act like you're the smartest guy in the room.

• Reply 99 of 138
    I've noticed since day one that Apple Maps gave better directions. It''s the first navigation program I've ever used that actually directed me to take the normal route I use driving to my house, which is a faster route than the ones Google and other nav providers give. And I don't live in California either.

Also, I use Waze all the time for just driving around and it is great for that - but for directions Apple Maps do a much better job finding routes (or even finding things in general).
  • Reply 100 of 138
    gatorguy wrote: »
    None of the above. I visit here for much the same reason as you. I'm truly intrigued by Apple and it business, the direction mobile technology is taking us, how the other tech players fit the picture, and to enjoy an exchange of ideas and outlooks with other respectful and thoughtful forum members.

I call BS. You spend all of your time spreading FUD about Apple and bragging about how much better Android and Samsung are. You nit-pick at every little thing Apple does and are the chief apologist for Google's incessant IP violations and Samsung's obvious copying of Apple.

If you're truly intrigued by Apple, it's simply a matter of wanting to understand better how to copy them.