Apple Maps directions beat Google Maps, Waze in pundit's head-to-head test

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

He did claim that. He asserted that it was a lie to claim that Apple Maps had more errors than Google Maps without evidence, implying that Google should have to prove its worth against the Apple benchmark. In fact Google is the benchmark for mobile mapping, a position it enjoys for having been built out for such a long time. Being the benchmark doesn't mean it has no errors; it just means it's the best example of its type until unseated by a competitor. That competitor is Apple. I asked for evidence that Apple has unseated Google as the best example of mobile mapping in terms of data accuracy.

Ok, Google can't find Denver's main airport, Apple can:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kigiphoto/8269178965/in/photostream

True of the mobile client AND Google Maps on the desktop.

People just think Google is more accurate because they have spent years learning to ignore the holes.  In reality Google is riddled with as many, if not more, errors than Apple Maps had at launch!

• Reply 102 of 138
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I call BS. You spend all of your time spreading FUD about Apple and bragging about how much better Android and Samsung are. You nit-pick at every little thing Apple does and are the chief apologist for Google's incessant IP violations and Samsung's obvious copying of Apple.

If you're truly intrigued by Apple, it's simply a matter of wanting to understand better how to copy them.

There you are with the dishonesty again JR.

Find where I've nit-picked any decisions by Apple, or where I've ever voiced support for Samsung's obvious copy efforts. I'm just not a blind hater of anything not-Apple. This is just more stuff you make up when you're backed up to a wall to distract from your own misinformation efforts. I've not seen anyone else here cling more tenaciously to a dismissed claim or talking point than you.

Just an opinion, but I believe your biggest issue with me is the number of times I've shown your claims to be either very questionable or flat-out wrong, and the dearth of opportunities for you to do the same with mine. In a nutshell I think you've gotten your feelings hurt and react by lashing out with insults and accusations. I'm sure your know the proper reaction is to discuss the merits of an issue in a logical intelligent manner.

Read my sig. . . It's your own words sir. Take them to heart and the forum will be more pleasant for everyone.

• Reply 103 of 138
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    kgelner01 wrote: »
    I've noticed since day one that Apple Maps gave better directions. It''s the first navigation program I've ever used that actually directed me to take the normal route I use driving to my house, which is a faster route than the ones Google and other nav providers give. And I don't live in California either.

Also, I use Waze all the time for just driving around and it is great for that - but for directions Apple Maps do a much better job finding routes (or even finding things in general).

^^THIS^^.

Right from the beginning, Apple Maps was vastly superior to Google for calculating routes that you'd actually take. I'm nowhere near California either, and around here, the Apple maps are much more accurate.
  • Reply 104 of 138
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I've heard numerous times that Apple uses Open Street Map for data, then why the hell don't they use it? It is clearly an excellent resource in my area. Also I could post plenty of other comparisons throughout that region and neighboring countries. What is wrong with wanting Apple to improve their maps in my area? I want people who come to our town as a vacation or retirement destination to be able to find the hospital, the gas station, the banks or the language school, etc.

They probably want to have some checks on Open Maps accuracy, such as the changes made to Olympic Stadiums in London, coming from IP addresses in India which were registered to Google.

• Reply 105 of 138

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

He did claim that. He asserted that it was a lie to claim that Apple Maps had more errors than Google Maps without evidence, implying that Google should have to prove its worth against the Apple benchmark. In fact Google is the benchmark for mobile mapping, a position it enjoys for having been built out for such a long time. Being the benchmark doesn't mean it has no errors; it just means it's the best example of its type until unseated by a competitor. That competitor is Apple. I asked for evidence that Apple has unseated Google as the best example of mobile mapping in terms of data accuracy.

So why isn't Nokia Maps the benchmark, given that they were around before Google's mobile offering, unless you want to include the Java based versions for feature phones.

• Reply 106 of 138

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

You have GOT to be shittin' me. You really believe that? REALLY?! The THOUSANDS of people sharing their personal A-B comparisons are all Google shills? I wish I'd known that earlier. I haven't been getting my checks.

Seriously dude, you need more tinfoil in your hat.

Google Maps are sh*t compared to Apple Maps, here's proof and from more than 20 miles away from Cupertino.

Like bushwalking?

• Reply 107 of 138
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

They probably want to have some checks on Open Maps accuracy, such as the changes made to Olympic Stadiums in London, coming from IP addresses in India which were registered to Google.

What are they going to check it against, Google Maps?

Apple Maps has two streets for the entire city, neither of them named and both in the wrong place. Open Street Map has every street in the city, probably a couple hundred at least, plus dozens of POI, So which is worse? A potential error or two or the complete absence of any data whatsoever?

If they need to check every data point in Open Street Map before using it, there is no reason to even consider a user editable map platform in the first place. That is what the report an error feature is for, which I submitted but it has not been fixed. Funny because I submitted another error where the Apple store was in the wrong place and they fixed that right away.

• Reply 108 of 138
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

[...] the Apple haters suffer from some mental illness related to narcissistic personality disorder.

Not speaking for anyone else, but please indulge me and consider this position: I'm not an Apple hater. I'm not an Apple lover. I'm an Apple USER. Like you and everyone else, I paid a fairly hefty premium to procure those tools. As such, I have very high expectations of the supplier. Just like paying a prestigious lawyer more than the guy advertising on the bus bench, or buying a Mercedes instead of a Honda, my expectation is that the experience will be better than "acceptable."

I prefer the Apple ecosystem enough to not go back to using Windows, but that doesn't mean I owe Apple undying loyalty and affection. I think if they're going to position themselves as a "premium" product supplier, it's reasonable for us to expect a very high standard of quality control.

When I complain about an Apple product or policy, or express appreciation for what I perceive to be a positive step by an Apple competitor, it doesn't mean I hate Apple. It means I expect them to live up to their own advertising. I think it's reasonable for those of us who pay for the product to hold Apple's feet to the fire when they let us down. My clients certainly hold me accountable for the quality of my work, and I hold my lawyer, accountant, building contractor and parts supplier accountable for their work. Apple is just another supplier, and constructive criticism SHOULD benefit everyone.

Quote:

[...] However, there's another explanation - that they're paid to do so by Google, Samsung, etc.

C'mon. How? Do you honestly think the huge population reporting map issues are getting paid to make it up? Of course not. I'm sure that some people are bandwagon jumpers, but the vast majority are people simply saying "I have X problem with Apple Maps and I don't have that particular problem with Google Maps." The only way for someone to be bothered by that is for them to have their own sense of identity tied up in Apple's reputation.

• Reply 109 of 138
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Google Maps are sh*t compared to Apple Maps, here's proof and from more than 20 miles away from Cupertino. [...]

Sorry if I was unclear, I didn't mean my comment to address the quality of Apple or Google maps at all. I was simply responding to the suggestion that people who report problems with Apple Maps are paid Google operatives, which is right up there with JFK and 9/11 on the conspiracy theory scale.

• Reply 110 of 138

Quote:

Google Maps are sh*t compared to Apple Maps, here's proof and from more than 20 miles away from Cupertino.

So what happeded to Tinderry Ave in Apple Maps? Also notice that Google has three parks labeled and although the area is green in Apple Maps apparently they don't know the names of those parks.

Just because your new house shows up as a vacant lot is nothing too serious. Next flyover the ariel photography will be updated in Google Maps. And, man, those homes are close together, even by California standards. I bet you can hear your neighbor snoring.

• Reply 111 of 138
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It doesn't occur to anyone at all that "testing" these apps only in the USA, and only in southern California, within a stones throw of the headquarters of the companies in question is not really a test at all?  image

Tom Tom has been providing GPS mapping directions for a long time in a lot of different countries. I don't recall people complaining its directions were bad. Apple's maps are complicated in that it is taking data from a variety of sources and over laying it on top of each other. In places where Tom Tom has good data, Apple has just as good data. In Michigan I found driving directions to be excellent. Better in fact then Google's App, which wouldn't auto correct well. 

When the App came out, Fly-Over rendering , Point of Interest Data, and directions in some select areas is what was mostly questioned. I for one think Apple needs to buy a Point of Interest data company so that it can take the correct process in house. Yelp is probably the number one reason the Map has issues (at least in North America). 

Reviews of Apple's Map App in China places it above Google's offerings. 

PS:

In Ann Arbor Michigan, a stone throw from Google's adsence headquarters, Apple's Maps has performed much better in side by side comparisons on two iPhones running Google's Map App and Apple's. Apple's App renders better, is prettier, gives better turn by turn directions (Google forgot to tell me to turn twice), and auto corrects better. 

• Reply 112 of 138
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    v5v wrote: »
    <*Sigh*> Seriously? The test was in one of the most widely documented/cartographed areas of the world that also just happens to be APPLE'S OWN BACK YARD. You don't think that colors the results? Honestly?

Further, for every person that wrote, "It still doesn't work in my area" there was one who wrote, "It works fine here, too."

Finally, why is it so difficult for you to believe that perhaps there are areas of the country... continent... PLANET that may not be well served by Apple maps? Fer crissake, it's barely out of diapers. OF COURSE it's gonna have holes.

Are you being serious?

The region in which the test was conducted was the "backyard" of all three companies; Apple, Google and Waze.
  • Reply 113 of 138
    I have used both as well. For user interface, I prefer iOS because it is the more familiar interface. I don't like that selecting transit ends up putting you in a Google search like screen for downloading a different application. The search function for iOS maps is not as good as Google. If I can't find it in iOS maps, I can almost always find it in Google. The voice synthesis on iOS is not nearly as good as Google. The rerouting is good, but I could use a pause function in either. Sometimes, I decide to get off the highway and go take care of nature or get something to eat or check out an attraction. The constant rerouting is annoying and I can't stop it easily. I can end and then research later. I have yet to find a way to end navigation with iOS maps using my bluetooth ear piece. Google maps new interface is not as intuitive and takes more touches to get to routing than I would like. Also, Google maps is not readily available for the iPad. I use both devices for mapping things. I hope Apple is reading comments and working on some further upgrades. They are needed.
  • Reply 114 of 138

Quote:

When I complain about an Apple product or policy, or express appreciation for what I perceive to be a positive step by an Apple competitor, it doesn't mean I hate Apple. It means I expect them to live up to their own advertising. 

Goose meet gander.

• Reply 115 of 138

Quote:

So what happeded to Tinderry Ave in Apple Maps? Also notice that Google has three parks labeled and although the area is green in Apple Maps.

Using your iOS device you can easily test this claim, zoom in until the names appear, anyway I'm off for a two hour drive to St Ives if I can figure out which of the FOUR Longhurst Avenues I should take (There is only one.), I hope the traffic isn't too bad as I have to cross an entire city, or then again, maybe I should walk the few hundred yards Apple advises.

btw one of the parks is gone, replaced by new housing blocks.

• Reply 116 of 138

Quote:

Sorry if I was unclear, I didn't mean my comment to address the quality of Apple or Google maps at all. I was simply responding to the suggestion that people who report problems with Apple Maps are paid Google operatives, which is right up there with JFK and 9/11 on the conspiracy theory scale.

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tag.

As in:-

a) find mistake from media reports

b) exploit mistake by listing personal example of how they are/were affected.

c) base entire position around exploited mistake.

Modus operandi of the astroturfer.

• Reply 117 of 138

Quote:

Quote:

So what happened to Tinderry Ave in Apple Maps? Also notice that Google has three parks labeled and although the area is green in Apple Maps.

Using your iOS device you can easily test this claim, zoom in until the names appear, anyway I'm off for a two hour drive to St Ives if I can figure out which of the FOUR Longhurst Avenues I should take (There is only one.), I hope the traffic isn't too bad as I have to cross an entire city, or then again, maybe I should walk the few hundred yards Apple advises.

btw one of the parks is gone, replaced by new housing blocks.

On my iPhone 5 the Tinderry name does not appear no matter how far I zoom in. How can a designated city park become a housing district? That is just wrong.

• Reply 118 of 138

Quote:

On my iPhone 5 the Tinderry name does not appear no matter how far I zoom in. How can a designated city park become a housing district? That is just wrong.

They swapped the land for another park which was created, Google call it Lot 85 in between Selwyn and Perisher.

The street signs for Perisher say CCT (Circuit) at one end and CRT (Court) at the other, if the council can't even get it right, what hope do mapmakers have?

Sidetrack into outer Sydney suburban real estate, with attempted measurement conversions.

Blocks are between 5-600 square metres (0.123 to 0.148 acres), roughly eight to the acre, frontages are around 60 feet, most houses are two storey, around 40 squares each and are usually built within just over a yard from the side fence lines.

Blocks of land are worth around $A200-250,000.

More house = less mowing.

• Reply 119 of 138

Quote:

More house = less mowing.

So you don't have cheap labor in garden care?  You need some illegal aliens. /s

• Reply 120 of 138
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Sounds like both apps have issues: Here in Colorado my experience has been that Apple maps still show quite a few incorrect locations. Worst here for me was Mt Vernon Country Club. Apple maps location is over a mile off (on a completely different road) and it's in a mountainous area where you would be seriously lost (I recognized the turn-off from a past trip, my in-laws (also using Apple apps) arrived 30 minutes later. What really irks me is that this was almost 3 weeks ago. We used the reporting tool within the app, yet nothing has changed. Last night we went to a restaurant in Cherry Creek (major Denver neighborhood) and the location was off by half a block around the corner). Sorry, but I'm switching back to Google maps for the time being.