Apple's shipping times for both 21.5" & 27" iMac improve to 1-3 days

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's good to see these figures, thanks. The Finder obviously was innovated over the years, not simply refined and made faster. How I like to think back to the days of OSX 10.0, and happy to see way less FFF posts.

Another test:

Transcend 1TB portable USB3

Needs formatting for Mac

That down, off to the testing using the same 20GB folder as above:

Using two cables connected to the iMac got slightly better performance than a single cable (the cable comes this way).

Intego (two cables) = 3min 51sec (avg 90MB/sec)

Finder (two cables) = 3min 22sec

Intego (one cable) = 4min 3sec (forgot to watch for the avg)

Finder (one cable) = 3min 26sc

This drive is whisper quiet, boots up almost instantly and is pretty small.  And it's cheaper than my desktop WD USB3 drive.  I got it to back up essential data to store off site (I live in Japan and Monday marks two years since the tsunami disaster).

• Reply 42 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Another test:

Good post! Thanks much. That drive even looks cool
  • Reply 43 of 49
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Whoa!   The disk that I originally thought was faster than TB... Well, it didn't work with Time Machine so I took it back and got a replacement today... got home and ran a first test...  Drum roll...

LaCie minimus  USB3 2TB

for about 120 bucks

Intego  2min 48sec  (avg 124MB/sec)

Finder  2min 31sec

This means it is faster than the TB mirrored RAID set I have.  image

I'm running a 559GB backup now and will then run the 20GB test again (the other disks are pretty much in that state).

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10518

• Reply 44 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good post! Thanks much. That drive even looks cool

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Information-External-Hard-Drive/dp/B005MNGQ6C/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1362824025&sr=8-9&keywords=transcend+USB3

• Reply 45 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    This means it is faster than the TB mirrored RAID set I have.  :wow:

The performance difference won't be due to the interface though. Both USB3 and Thunderbolt speeds are far in excess of the drive speeds. Thunderbolt is around 1.25GB/s and USB 3 is around 625MB/s. Hard drive speeds are much less than that so the difference you'd be seeing is in the drive quality e.g platter density and spindle speed (5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm, some have variable spindle speeds). Also mirrored RAID is likely a little slower as it has to sync two copies. You'd only see the benefit of Thunderbolt on an SSD or RAID setup that topped 625MB/s transfer speeds, which isn't common. With a Pegasus R4 with SSDs, it's possible to top 900MB/s, which isn't achievable with USB 3:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Thunderbolt-Windows-ASUS-P8Z77-V-Premium-Pegasus-R4-and-Apple-Thunderbolt-Dis-4
  • Reply 46 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The performance difference won't be due to the interface though. Both USB3 and Thunderbolt speeds are far in excess of the drive speeds. Thunderbolt is around 1.25GB/s and USB 3 is around 625MB/s. Hard drive speeds are much less than that so the difference you'd be seeing is in the drive quality e.g platter density and spindle speed (5400 rpm vs 7200 rpm, some have variable spindle speeds). Also mirrored RAID is likely a little slower as it has to sync two copies. You'd only see the benefit of Thunderbolt on an SSD or RAID setup that topped 625MB/s transfer speeds, which isn't common. With a Pegasus R4 with SSDs, it's possible to top 900MB/s, which isn't achievable with USB 3:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Thunderbolt-Windows-ASUS-P8Z77-V-Premium-Pegasus-R4-and-Apple-Thunderbolt-Dis-4

Thanks.

Good to know.

• Reply 47 of 49
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

I ordered an iMac last night. 27" with 1TB fusion and the 680MX. Shipping in 5-7 business days.

• Reply 48 of 49

Anker Uspeed USB3 hub arrived from Amazon today.  It is going back.

With two drives connected, even with one turned off, transfer rate was half of direct connection to the iMac.  With both drives on and soun up I got estimates of 26 minutes for that 20GB folder and abandoned shortly thereafter when the time didn't change.  Connected directly, the longest initial estimate I had seen was 8 minutes, with the drive not spun up.

• Reply 49 of 49
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

My order has shipped and should be ready for me to pick up at the Apple Store next Wednesday!