Judge to allow Apple's 'Siri' suit against Samsung to continue, orders case to be streamlined

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh on Friday ruled that an Apple lawsuit against Samsung over Siri patents can continue, despite questioning whether or not the proceedings should be suspended until an appeal related to the Apple v. Samsung trial is completed.

Judge Lucy Koh
Judge Lucy Koh. | Source: U.S. District Court

As noted by Reuters, the case in question involves patents not discussed in the landmark Apple v. Samsung jury trial, including search technology used in Apple's Siri virtual assistant. In allowing the litigation to continue, Judge Koh ordered that both parties "significantly" streamline their assertions but paring down the number of claims and associated expert testimony.

Judge Koh in February voiced concern over the upcoming patent suit, asking counsel from both companies if the case should be put on hold until after the conclusion of hearings regarding the verdict handed in by the Apple v. Samsung trial jury last August. Apple is appealing an earlier ruling by Judge Koh that denied a sales ban of infringing Samsung handsets.

In response to the judge's request, Apple on Thursday filed an objection to a Samsung motion that would have suspended the second trial until the appeals process for the first is finished.

With Judge Koh's Friday ruling, the Siri trial will start hearings in March 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Will Siri be called as a witness?

• Reply 2 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope Siri gets to testify.

edit: Pipped by, [B]GTR[/B]. Damn you!
  • Reply 3 of 75
    March 2014????
  • Reply 4 of 75
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    I don't know why; but somehow the repeated posting of this photograph of some judge just seems really immature and lame and super dumb and poopy-poop.

Why don't you find a nice photo of Cook and a photo of Kwon, splice them together and photoshop a knife into each ones hand. Use that as standard byline photo instead.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    What did Samsung copy from Siri. S voice is just a Vlingo client and the licenses go to Vlingo so samsung would be free from any lawsuit for that.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Jeeze how many lawsuits does Apple have against these wanton copiers?
    How much longer will the US allow these Korean a&$(:@?-s get away with this?
    When will the US begin carpet bombing SK.
    Forget about NK they are innocent compared to this slime.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    @[B]hfts[/B], jeeze yourself, maybe take a hot shower or smoke a joint or something. Not funny, especially coming from an American.
  • Reply 8 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

To judge an entire country based on one company and then want to destroy them is a little crazy. Its two international companies crying over nothing. And if other countries had this thinking we would have been nuked off of the face of the earth... come on Exxon, Ford, GM, Bank of America, EA, and Microsoft. Some American companies have actually harmed people really I mean harmed. Samsung is nothing. 

• Reply 9 of 75
    To judge an entire country based on one company and then want to destroy them is a little crazy. Its two international companies crying over nothing. And if other countries had this thinking we would have been nuked off of the face of the earth... come on Exxon, Ford, GM, Bank of America, EA, and Microsoft. Some American companies have actually harmed people really I mean harmed. Samsung is nothing. 
    It was simply a hypothetical scenario that I painted.
    My whole point is this. Has NK actually harmed the US at the moment? Forget about these silly threats. Have they?
    The answer is a resounding no. Has SK? The answer is yes. Even Apple accuses Samsung of costing it money, this translate into jobs etc. now Samsung and SK are in bed together.
    I agree that other companies have harmed people, no argument from me there.
    I find it very strange that Apple allowed a person of Korean descent to sit as judge against a Korean company.
    Even if she is innocent (I doubt), is there not a conflict of interest, even a slight one? Why take the chance, aren't there other judges available?
    I had a bad feeling about the $1B win for Apple. Where Samsung was cleared of wilfully copying and then she wouldn't ban Samsung products ASAP. The pieces are beginning to fit together now.

People think outside the box please, show some independent thought.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    flaneur wrote: »
    @hfts, jeeze yourself, maybe take a hot shower or smoke a joint or something. Not funny, especially coming from an American.
    Calm down. I'm not American. Just because I think differently doesn't make me a druggy.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

It was simply a hypothetical scenario that I painted.
    My whole point is this. Has NK actually harmed the US at the moment? Forget about these silly threats. Have they?
    The answer is a resounding no. Has SK? The answer is yes. Even Apple accuses Samsung of costing it money, this translate into jobs etc. now Samsung and SK are in bed together.
    I agree that other companies have harmed people, no argument from me there.
    I find it very strange that Apple allowed a person of Korean descent to sit as judge against a Korean company.

People think outside the box please, show some independent thought.

I like the way you try and whitewash the past by specifying 'the moment'.

54,246 US serviceman died at the hands of the North Koreans and Chinese.  How many have been killed by Samsung?

Without Samsung, Apple would not be remotely as rich and wealthy as it is today.  Ever heard of LG supplying Apple?  SK has done far more good for 'America' than harm.

I suggest you demonstrate an ability to think before bragging about having left the box.

As for your comments about Apple 'allowing' Koh to preside, surely that should be up to the legal system and not something a company dictates.  Would you argue that American companies should be able object to American Judges of German, Jewish, British, Swedish descent in cases involving disputes with companies from those countries or ethnicities?

• Reply 12 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    What did Samsung copy from Siri. S voice is just a Vlingo client and the licenses go to Vlingo so samsung would be free from any lawsuit for that.

The article explains it. Apple has patents covering voice technology. Whether Samsung is infringing those patents has nothing to do with where Samsung got the technology from someone else.

Now, if Vlingo is using the same technology and if it predates Apple's patents, it could affect the validity of the patents, but "we got it from someone else" does not, by itself, let them off the hook.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Vlingo existed before Siri if memory holds true. Plus why not go after Vlingo? They are licensing the technology to Samsung and others. So if the infringement does exist why not go after the source?

• Reply 14 of 75
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Really? That is a very racist point of view......how elitist of you. It is true what they say.....Absolute power corrupts absolutely..... 

• Reply 15 of 75
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member
    Htfs......you are a dickhead!
  • Reply 16 of 75
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Good gosh.  So many sites echoing the same nonsense headline.

There is nothing in this lawsuit about Siri VOICE technology or Vlingo or anything like that.

The closest thing to being about Siri, is the patent that is often dubbed "the universal search patent", which is about searching both local storage and remote sites.

(I have explained that patent before.  The poor construction of its primary claim was the basis for a three judge panel denying Apple's request for an injunction on the Galaxy Nexus, and later refusing Apple's appeal for an en banc review of that denial.)

--

The only truly Siri related patent case that I know of right now, is the one that was filed against Apple from two Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Professors, as reported here by Patently Apple last October.

--

If I get time, I'll later post and explain all of the actual patents in this particular Koh court case.  Or perhaps someone can find a link to such an explanation.  Thanks!

• Reply 17 of 75
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Bigotry. Not cool. 

• Reply 18 of 75
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

To judge an entire country based on one company and then want to destroy them is a little crazy. Its two international companies crying over nothing.

On the other hand, "nothing" = billions of dollars at stake. Consumer tech is a very lucrative and cutthroat biz. If that gets your dick caught in your fly then you can always use just a land-line and leave it at that, and not bother with potentially (and actually, demonstrably) life-changing technology. 

• Reply 19 of 75
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    "...Judge Koh ordered that both parties "significantly" streamline their assertions but paring down the number of claims and associated expert testimony. "

BY, not BUT.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Vlingo existed before Siri if memory holds true. Plus why not go after Vlingo? They are licensing the technology to Samsung and others. So if the infringement does exist why not go after the source?

Perhaps Vlingo is not infringing the patents in question and Samsung is. Perhaps Apple plans to go after Vlingo, but wants to go after Samsung first. Perhaps Vlingo has a license with Apple but Samsung doesn't. There are all sorts of reasons why Apple might be going after Samsung and not Vlingo.