With Apple's iPad besting Windows 8, Microsoft slashes prices & alters tactics

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    I'm a tech guy. I have met no one that like Windows 8. I've even been paid to downgrade peoples new laptops from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Microsoft can't see outside of Ballmer's bubble.

ion.

It demonstrates how brilliant is MSFT marketing strategy : on thse machines, the customer has bought and paid two OS to finally use one !
  • Reply 42 of 48

If there is no Microsoftoffice on iPad by the end of month I will have to get a surface tab :(

• Reply 43 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Windows 8 has proven to be an extremely versatile computing environment, as it's exponentially more capable, versatile, and touch-friendly (read: Future Proof) than anything that has ever come before.

To. Each. Their. Own.

Then you should thank Apple for creating the iPad and forcing Microsoft to recognise the touch UI, to the detriment of their desktop OS UI.

When exactly will this thanking be occurring?

I'd like to observe it. image

• Reply 44 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

If there is no Microsoftoffice on iPad by the end of month I will have to get a surface tab :(

It's okay.

They have a cream for that now.

• Reply 45 of 48
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

FIRESALE.

• Reply 46 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Tivo/DVR is your friend... fast forward... :)

I am with you on that.  Been IT for over nearly 2 decades.  And even I hate win8... Had one of my lawyers take back his PC and went and got a MAC, he hated it that much only after 3 day's.  Also, Stardock does make a nice little program that puts the start button back with it's old win7 menu.  Major item to make it bareable to work on 8 when you have to.  Just sayin...

Topic - And who did not see this coming?  Well besides them?  I mean it was not rocket science, hell it was not even checkers, and the still got it wrong.  When you only have ad's that show nothing of the product, it's details, or any other tech spec's, you really expect to sell it?  Your not Apple... oh wait, they actually give you the details, and when they say a 64GB system they really mean 64GBish usable.  

Spelling alert:

days, its (twice in this case), ads and specs should not have apostrophes.

You're (spelt Your above) should.

I'm just old fashioned ... 

• Reply 47 of 48
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    To think at the 10.8 price variance apple has it, except there's are different OS all updated from device, featuring $20 vs free vs. windows to high to count vs $130 yet exact same OS.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The last sentence of the lead graph on WSJ reads "people familiar with the situation said." was this a janitor within earshot of what he thought to be an OEM price negotiation phone call? was it one of the guys making the call? we don't know. Interestingly, all the crap about the Apple iWatch, iTV and such being announced "within the month or so" that we have been hearing since before Steve Jobs died were credited the same way, "people familiar with the situation..."

I don't believe much out of the WSJ on this topic, their tech coverage team, led by Mossberg, have wet dreams about apple and absolutely adore everything they make, so logically, the chance to trash MS with anonymous sources is just too tempting to pass up. Am I questioning Mossberg's credibility? Absolutely not, I am simply saying he has no credibility to question, nor does Dave Pogue at the NY Times.

I am a windows 8 user, I also own a Nexus 7, an ipad 2 (bought like 2 years ago when it launched) a MacBook (4 years old at this point but I still use and enjoy it as a coffee table PC in the living room) and have been an iphone user from 2007 to last year when I switched to windows phone. The fact is, Windows 8 is a great platform, but the tile interface is missing a bit of functionality because it is immature. I was far too young to remember how it happened in the 80s with Windows catching up and passing the Mac, outside of what I read in history books, but give it a year or two and we may just see history repeat itself.