New rumor points to fingerprint sensor, NFC e-wallet in Apple's next iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
A new report out of China claims that Apple has contracted with Taiwan's Chipbond Science and Technology to build fingerprint sensors into its next-generation iPhone.

Fingerprint

The details were reported on Monday by China Times, which claimed that the so-called "iPhone 5S" will include both a fingerprint sensor and a near-field communications chip for mobile payments. The two items are expected to work in concert with one another, allowing users to easily authorize a transaction with their fingerprint.

Apple reportedly began stocking components for the iPhone 5S during the second quarter. The device is expected to launch in mid-to-late 2013.

The details reported on Monday align with what was previously claimed by analyst Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a reliable track record in predicting Apple's future product pipeline. Kuo believes the new iPhone 5S will launch sometime in June or July with the same aesthetic as the iPhone 5, but with the addition of a built-in fingerprint sensor, along with an improved camera and more powerful A7 system on a chip.

According to Kuo, the fingerprint sensor will reside under the home button on the device. Users will simply place their thumb over the button when prompted, and the identity of the user can be verified for various tasks such as entering passwords or authorizing purchases.

The first signs of a potential fingerprint scanner in future devices appeared last year when it was revealed that Apple had bought security firm AuthenTec. The $356 million acquisition was reportedly focused on the company's "Smart Sensor" component, which measures just 1.30 millimeters thick but can scan 500 pixels per inch.

As for the possibility of an NFC e-wallet in the next iPhone, Apple set the stage for such a move last year with the debut of Passbook in iOS 6. But in launching Passbook, Apple decided to eschew NFC payments, due in part to the need for mobile payment terminals at stores for such a system to work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    Cool!
  • Reply 2 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Say it enough times I'm sure it will eventually be true.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It doesn't matter. Unless the iPhone 5s has a flux capacitor and time machine, it's no good and everyone should sell their AAPL stock.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

A non mechanical home button.  Thats the only way I see there being any kind of sensor to scan finger prints.  Dragging a finger across the home button leaves for residue between the button and the main glass that can build up and may cause issues.

• Reply 5 of 70
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Even if it had a flux capacitor they would still find ways to spin it negatively.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Kuo, the fingerprint sensor will reside under the home button on the device. Users will simply place their thumb over the button when prompted, ...

Wonder how many people will then also click the button by habit, and accidentally leave the payment app.

Might take a little getting used to.  Otherwise, pretty cool.

• Reply 7 of 70
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    A non mechanical home button.  Thats the only way I see there being any kind of sensor to scan finger prints.  Dragging a finger across the home button leaves for residue between the button and the main glass that can build up and may cause issues.

What about the sensor behind the glass face of the Home Button so that it's a physical button that has a digital sensor in it?
  • Reply 8 of 70
    ryukryuk Posts: 29member
    You android fans aka noid why are u guys on here can't u find a android insider site including you { jragosta}
  • Reply 9 of 70
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Even if it had a flux capacitor they would still find ways to spin it negatively.

1.21 gigawatts would drain the battery pretty quickly.

• Reply 10 of 70
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    I think the fingerprint sensor, nfc, A7 processor, and 13 megapixel camera sounds like good ideas for the 5s.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Perfect ! :-)

• Reply 12 of 70
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    OMG, every time I read "rumour" in the article / title I want to scream, every time I read "
    analyst" in the article I want to find so-called scumbag analyst and beat the crap out of him!

These people are paid ridiculous sums of money to talk out of their asses, makes me sick.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

NFC would be a step in the right direction for them. 

• Reply 14 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    richl wrote: »

So then it would finally be true that Apple is copying Android phones.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    richl wrote: »

"Apple is forcing us to buy their proprietary plutonium fuel cells"
  • Reply 16 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"Apple is forcing us to buy their proprietary plutonium fuel cells"

"Why can't we customize the speed at which the time travel initiates? What if I want it to happen at 69mph instead of 88? I'm so sick of the lack of customization!"

• Reply 17 of 70
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

This is good. I was waiting for this. NFC is good, fingerprint is good, but I still need a 4.8-5 inch screen. I might stay with Apple if they bring these to the next iPhone. Ha, look at AAPL, it just jumped up! Probably because of this rumour. :D

• Reply 18 of 70
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Wonder how many people will then also click the button by habit, and accidentally leave the payment app.

Might take a little getting used to.  Otherwise, pretty cool.

Perhaps the prompt on the screen would simply say "press the home button to confirm identity," and at those (few) times, the press would have a different result than usual.  I know it breaks the consistency model, but not in a way that would be frequent or confusing.  The user will know why they are doing it when they are doing it, and the result (clearing the prompt and continuing with what you were attempting to do) would be entirely expected.

Thompson

• Reply 19 of 70
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Say it enough times I'm sure it will eventually be true.

I could bet everything that at least the fingerprint sensor is true. Last year every rumour has been confirmed. When a rumour about NFC had appeared in August, a NO NFC rumour quickly was published in WSJ and Bloomberg. Make no mistake, these rumours are controlled rumours spread by Apple.

• Reply 20 of 70
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Anything less wouldn't be a must-buy...

As for companies not having the hardware for nfc, Apple will practically give them away, I would think. They'll make their money on the transaction.