App hides pre-installed iOS titles, disables iAds without jailbreak [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In an app likely to be pulled from the App Store in the very near future, HIddenApps promises to remove stock iOS apps like Newsstand and Weather from a user's home screen.

Update: As suspected, Apple has yanked HiddenApps from the App Store.

HiddenApps

HiddenApps allows users to temporarily hide Apple's stock iOS apps, disable iAds and enter a Field Test mode that displays cellular reception strength in numerical form rather than signal bars.

When users run HiddenApps, they are met with a launch screen showing a basic list of the app's features, including "Hide Apps," "Disable all iAds," "iOS Diagnostics" and "Field Test" activation. Selecting "Hide Apps" shows a number of built-in titles that can be hidden, including Calendar, Stocks, Passbook, Compass, Maps and more.

When a user clicks on an app, like Maps, a pop-up window asks for permission to install the app "Poof." Choosing install will result in a failure message, and changes Maps into a darkened "Poof" icon. By deleting the icon, the Maps app is effectively hidden from view. Hidden apps can be reinstated by rebooting or respringing the device.

Due to its nature, the sneaky app is likely slipped by the App Store approval process and is expected to be pulled soon.

For the time being, HiddenApps is available as a free 5.4MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Downloaded. Never going to use it, but I'll have it after it's kicked out!

• Reply 2 of 27
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Grabbed it. Using it it. ftw.

But I suppose I could have just gone the Jailbreak route, since my phone is jailbroken (yeah, I'm cool).
  • Reply 3 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Finally, I can remove the "crap I don't use" folder from my iphone. Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 27
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member
    Requires IOS 6, so won't work on an iPad 1. :(
  • Reply 5 of 27
    This App installs a custom profile on your iOS device. I would be very wary of installing it on devices with your personal data attached. This App will be pulled very quickly and for excellent reasons. SERIOUSLY, DO NOT INSTALL THIS APP!!
  • Reply 6 of 27

Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Requires IOS 6, so won't work on an iPad 1. image

Apple needs to start delineating the "and iPad" on the iTunes Store if this is the case. It's unacceptable. Having "requires iOS 6 or later" doesn't cut it. 

Or, rather, it can cut it all alone. Just say "requires iOS 6 or later" and have that be the default for all devices instead of listing both and then lying about what's actually compatible.

• Reply 7 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bandino wrote: »
    This App installs a custom profile on your iOS device. I would be very wary of installing it on devices with your personal data attached. This App will be pulled very quickly and for excellent reasons. SERIOUSLY, DO NOT INSTALL THIS APP!!

Didn't Apple throughly check out the app before allowing it on the app store?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandino View Post

Didn't Apple throughly check out the app before allowing it on the app store?

There are some tricks that are sometimes used such as putting hidden functionality in the app that only reveals itself after a certain date, giving the app time to be approved before the hacking part kicks in. Apple can't look in the source code so the offending functionality is invisible until the designated time. I'm sure that Apple could check by setting the date forward on their checking device but I'm not sure they do that. With a name like HiddenApps it would probably be prudent to give it a more careful examination.

• Reply 9 of 27
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 10 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandino View Post

Can you (or anybody else) elaborate on this comment?

I'd like to know more.

• Reply 11 of 27
    Already pulled. Not available in the US store.
  • Reply 12 of 27

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'd like to know more.

I wish there was an equivalent to Little Snitch in iOS.

• Reply 13 of 27
    Apple needs to start delineating the "and iPad" on the iTunes Store if this is the case. It's unacceptable. Having "requires iOS 6 or later" doesn't cut it. 

Or, rather, it can cut it all alone. Just say "requires iOS 6 or later" and have that be the default for all devices instead of listing both and then lying about what's actually compatible.

Fragmentation... BIATCH! :p
  • Reply 14 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wish there was an equivalent to Little Snitch in iOS.

Agreed. Even Littler Snitch would be welcome on my devices.

Nobody has any further info. on what we have to fear from this app?

• Reply 15 of 27
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    "App hides pre-installed iOS titles"

Making a folder called "Meh." is still possible.
  • Reply 16 of 27

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Fragmentation... BIATCH! image

Please come back when you have any idea what you're talking about.

• Reply 17 of 27
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'd like to know more.

Basically GTR is saying it is worth being careful of an app designed to download something to your phone as t wasn't vetted and likely isn't going to play by Apple rules. So not warn you when it uploads your contacts etc to their server. 

Given that a power off ruins this trick I call the whole thing a meh. 

• Reply 18 of 27
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I wouldn't mind putting Newstand away as I'm not using it... but I'm not going to use app for that. Crazy.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Somehow I just don't trust this app. If it can game Apple, who will say it won't game us.

• Reply 20 of 27
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

looks like it's gone, from the UK store at least, it appears in the Search results but it's a dead link