Newly revealed early Apple iPhone prototype had massive 5x7-inch display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Made in Korea.

Yeah, "Made in Korea," just like the rooster's crow makes the sun rise!

• Reply 22 of 40
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

What a stupid tittle.

It's not an iphone prototype. It is an ipad prototype. Jobs said they started working on the ipad first... and at one point they told themselves... "we could do a phone" and then back benched ipad development.

The first time I heard him say this was at All Things Digital interview with Walt Mossberg.

would "iDevice prototype" have made your day better?

• Reply 23 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm most amazed that in just under two years they went from that to this…

[INDENT][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/21850/width/500/height/1000[/IMG][/INDENT]
  • Reply 24 of 40
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member

It's an engineering development prototype.  It's part of the natural development of new technologies.  It's a beautiful thing.

• Reply 25 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    desuserign wrote: »
    Maybe, but if you still expect clarity from a headline, you need to learn about critical reading.

We know what Steve said (we all heard it,) but we've all also heard him say a number of things that weren't true/were spun/etc. Do you really think that in the wake of PIMs/cell phones (like the Trio, etc.) that Apple wasn't looking at putting a cell phone in it from day one?

When Jobs spun something (or even outright lied on occasion), there was almost always a reason. The misinformation clearly benefited Apple, so he had a reason to mislead.

The statement about making the tablet first and the phone came out of that was a deathbed statement made long after the fact. What benefit was there for him to lie at that point?

More importantly, if it was a phone, why in the world would they have used a 5x7 screen? That's ridiculous for a phone.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

…a 5x7 screen? That's ridiculous for a phone.

Funny how so many people here think otherwise. 

• Reply 27 of 40
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

We know what Steve said (we all heard it,) but we've all also heard him say a number of things that weren't true/were spun/etc. Do you really think that in the wake of PIMs/cell phones (like the Trio, etc.) that Apple wasn't looking at putting a cell phone in it from day one?

Apparently they had not made that connection yet.  Jobs claimed that it was only after he saw the tablet prototype's touch UI demo, that he suddenly realized it would be great for the iPhone they wanted to do.

As for all the silly Korea remarks in this thread, the irony is that the 2004 Samsung CPU used here was the first ARM to have integrated NAND Flash boot code, and therefore the circuit board would've almost certainly come from the Samsung engineering reference design referred to in its documentation.

Yes, that's right. The electronic design of the original iPad prototype was done by Samsung.  Oh, the horror!  However, that's a pretty common origin for any new design.

• Reply 28 of 40
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'm sure Apple experimented with every fucking size, aspect ratio, and design under the sun before they settled with what they released, which they believed was ideal. People act as if it didn't even occur to Apple to use another size, or they're technically unable to. No, whatever you can dream up, I'm sure they tried it. 

• Reply 29 of 40
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm sure Apple experimented with every fucking size, aspect ratio, and design under the sun before they settled with what they released, which they believed was ideal. People act as if it didn't even occur to Apple to use another size, or they're technically unable to. No, whatever you can dream up, I'm sure they tried it. 

They had 20 different models, or so the story goes.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

This photo where the iPhone's screen is facing down, makes the thing look like a casket.  I'm glad this design was buried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Also from the Ars Technica piece... the iPhone BSG edition? :

• Reply 31 of 40
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member

The past of the iPhone = The future of Android

This is the look of the SAMSUNG GALAXY pop pocket plus ultra advenced:

- with a do-sexta core SAMSUNG EXYNOS 8 processor at 3,2 Ghz and TDP of 25 W

- 16 GB RAM

- 4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512GB user memory (yeah only 4GB will be sold but don't worry it supports full size SD cards)

- Super active flexible matrix phosphorescent green light emiting diode high definition (yeah still pen-tile)

- Revolutionary S-battery that supports up to 2 hours of video playback (183 Wh)

• Reply 32 of 40
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Pity they didn't make it (samdung's thinking), would have solved the issue of multiple iterations in screen size that samdung had to go through to arrive at their current monstrosities.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

I dont remember where but i read that when project "Purple" was started (development code name of the iPhone) it was development of a tablet computer.  Steve Jobs steered the development  away from a tablet computer into what was to eventually become the iPhone.    

I think it was in his autobiography.

The original iPhone was a tablet.

Lol sorry for the repeat I didnt see that someone posted the same thing aboveimage

• Reply 34 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

When Jobs spun something (or even outright lied on occasion), there was almost always a reason. The misinformation clearly benefited Apple, so he had a reason to mislead.

The statement about making the tablet first and the phone came out of that was a deathbed statement made long after the fact. What benefit was there for him to lie at that point?

More importantly, if it was a phone, why in the world would they have used a 5x7 screen? That's ridiculous for a phone.

Don't be a silly. Whatever you might think of it, he misled people for good, bad, or unknown reasons throughout his life. Just talk to anyone who ever worked or lived with him.

The item shown is clearly a concept exploration prototype—not much past a breadboard. It was big because it was made for testing and experimentation. They wanted to see what it would be like, how the interactions would feel, etc. The size of the prototype doesn't really reflect where the concept was going or even all the features it would have. It's a sketch!  

You and your "deathbed statement" obsessions. Try to get a grip.

I say they planned to put cellular in it from the start because they already knew that a mobile computing device without a reliable network connection would be pretty darn boring. Cellular was the obvious choice and if you go that way, it might as will have voice communications as well. Anyone working in this conceptual space at the time (years before actually) understood this very well. The best way to actually do it in a usable, viable, affordable way was still in exploration, but cellular was [the obvious] technology.

• Reply 35 of 40

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Would it help if Jobs said that in situations long before his 'deathbed'? Because he did.

• Reply 36 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    desuserign wrote: »
    Don't be a silly. Whatever you might think of it, he misled people for good, bad, or unknown reasons throughout his life. Just talk to anyone who ever worked or lived with him.

The item shown is clearly a concept exploration prototype—not much past a breadboard. It was big because it was made for testing and experimentation. They wanted to see what it would be like, how the interactions would feel, etc. The size of the prototype doesn't really reflect where the concept was going or even all the features it would have. It's a sketch!  

I say they planned to put cellular in it from the start because they already knew that a mobile computing device without a reliable network connection would be pretty darn boring. Cellular was the obvious choice and if you go that way, it might as will have voice communications as well. Anyone working in this conceptual space at the time (years before actually) understood this very well. The best way to actually do it in a usable, viable, affordable way was still in exploration, but cellular was [the obvious] technology.

I see absolutely no reason to doubt that a tablet was first on the table.
  • Reply 37 of 40

This isn't an Apple prototype anything. The board is an LN2410SBC as sold by LittleChips (littlechips.com); the assembly looks identical their LN2410SBC/LP64 stack with a 6.4" TFT display.

Both the LN2410SBC and the display module are (or were) made by CyberLab (you can see both their name and old URL on the back of the display module).

• Reply 38 of 40

Originally Posted by unlocal View Post

This isn't an Apple prototype anything.

Right, because Apple would have made everything from scratch on their own, not knowing about how to do any of that¡

• Reply 39 of 40
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

I dont remember where but i read that when project "Purple" was started (development code name of the iPhone) it was development of a tablet computer.  Steve Jobs steered the development  away from a tablet computer into what was to eventually become the iPhone.    

It was Scott Forestall at the Samsung trial who talked about the original Purple project. He said it was a phone.  We know from other histories that they were still using clickwheel iPods as UI design mules in mid 2005.

It was after Jobs saw a touch UI demo on an unrelated tablet prototype, that the production iPhone Purple 2 project was started in earnest in later 2005.  But who showed him?

In the Jobs biography, Jon Ive says he was the one who secretly got others to put together a multi-touch UI demo, and that he was the one who sprung it on Jobs alone... otherwise, Jobs would probably have knocked it down, because that's what he always did in a group... and Ive was afraid the entire concept would be dismissed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlocal View Post

The board is an LN2410SBC as sold by LittleChips (littlechips.com); the assembly looks identical their LN2410SBC/LP64 stack with a 6.4" TFT display.

Good eye!      http://www.littlechips.com/LN2410SBC_TFT.htm

As to thinking about putting cellular on the tablet, sure, there were plenty of data-only radio cards (e.g. GSM/GPRS) available for CF slots.

• Reply 40 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would it help if Jobs said that in situations long before his 'deathbed'? Because he did.

That's funny, I heard him say "it started out as a tablet," but I never heard him say that the tablet "wouldn't include cellular networking or communications."

As I said, anyone working in the *mobile* space knew this was where things were going (and indeed, had gone earlier!) At that time, wireless networking wasn't terribly great, but cellular was the proven path. And by that time, even Microsoft had figured out the significance of "the web" and the importance of "the network."

In any case, the configuration of the prototype can't be taken as a literal expression of the goal. You should see some of the functional prototypes of interaction devices I worked on in the conceptual phase (amalgams of plywood, parallax  boards, laser printed optical targets, phone parts, plug in transformers, a laptop .etc.) You never really know what your making until you've gone through a few cycles or prototyping. [In fact, I now see that the source in the original article says almost exactly the same thing. *"at that early date no one knew what [the final device] would be," the source emphasized, highlighting the constantly changing nature of Apple's development process.*]