Sony targets iPhone users with new Xperia Transfer software

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    I like Sony.
    Have a cathode-ray TV, 17 years old and running perfectly. I won't get rid of it until it packs in.
    I recently purchased my first flat screen TV from Sony and I love it, although the UI is just ok.
    Bought a Sony Ultrabook for my wife's work, the build quality blows Samsung crap out of the water, although doesn't compare to my MBA.
    I had a Samsung LCD and it lasted a few months past warranty, it's in the garage awaiting my axe when I find the time and place to hack it to pieces. This piece of shit tormented me for ages by not switching on.
    Had it fixed once and the problem came back.
    Yes I know, these are my experiences, and so far Sony has been great.
    I know nothing about their phones, but I would expect their build quality to easily surpass the majority of android phones. Samsung? Don't make me laugh.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    I hope Sony becomes more successful and begins to flourish as they were pioneers and deserve more success.
    Not sure what I could suggest as I don't have enough expertise.
    Maybe an option would be to partner Apple on a larger scale.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    frxntier wrote: »
    How is Sony 'troubled'? Just because they don't have a huge market share in smartphones doesn't mean they're troubled. What about their TVs, the PS3, their DSLR cameras and their professional video segment? I hardly think Sony is a 'troubled' company, whichever way you want to interpret that word.

They sacked Howard Stringer because EVERYTHING WAS PEACHY.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    hfts wrote: »
    I like Sony.
    Have a cathode-ray TV, 17 years old and running perfectly. I won't get rid of it until it packs in.
    I recently purchased my first flat screen TV from Sony and I love it, although the UI is just ok.
    Bought a Sony Ultrabook for my wife's work, the build quality blows Samsung crap out of the water, although doesn't compare to my MBA.
    I had a Samsung LCD and it lasted a few months past warranty, it's in the garage awaiting my axe when I find the time and place to hack it to pieces. This piece of shit tormented me for ages by not switching on.
    Had it fixed once and the problem came back.
    Yes I know, these are my experiences, and so far Sony has been great.
    I know nothing about their phones, but I would expect their build quality to easily surpass the majority of android phones. Samsung? Don't make me laugh.

I came across info that Sony is still most trusted consumer electronic brand in New Zealand. I'd expect there is at least some reason for that.

I don't have too much Sony gear, but what I do have works fine.

My PS2 is still in perfect condition. Even original controllers, which is not bad considering that last 3 years they were seriously abused by visiting friends kids.

My PS3 received above average (ab)use in the last 3 years and works fine, including all Sony peripherals.

My wife's VAIO SVS is working at least 10 hours a day minimum and works as good as on first day - as in, no BSODs, no fan going into overdrive (there must be some dust buld-up inside), no material "fatigue" (hinges, keys, ODD, case creaks). Even keys surface haven't started showing wear (and she does type a lot, working at Uni).

Sony's RX100 camera is great. This summer (NZ summer, that is) was the first time since 2005 I took pocket camera for vacation instead of SLR, and I haven't really missed my SLR. In fact I really enjoyed moving around light.

Much as I am concerned, Sony still can and do make good products, both quality and feature wise.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So do they have a video for Android users… since Android is much more popular as noted by their activation numbers.

Shouldn't moving between Android devices, as long as you use same user profile, be reasonably simple and transparent anyway? Not unlike moving within iDevice family?

I like Sony's recent phones, at least they look nicer than Samsungs. Same would go for latest HTC handsets. Why is Samsung that much more popular than any other Android brand really eludes me.

If there are people moving from iPhone to Android at all, I surely hope they will consider other options beside Samsung. In that light, I salute this effort. Market needs more strong, competitive brands.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    chia wrote: »
    Wristwatch phones have been around for a few years now.  There are quite a few to be found on eBay:

Maybe there just isn't the demand for such a device made by a big name manufacturer.

LSG has a great article this week on the elusive iWatch: http://www.mondaynote.com/2013/03/10/more-iwatch-fun/

Within also contains a link to a David Pogue article about the current state of "smart" watches.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I came across info that Sony is still most trusted consumer electronic brand in New Zealand. I'd expect there is at least some reason for that.

I don't have too much Sony gear, but what I do have works fine.

My PS2 is still in perfect condition. Even original controllers, which is not bad considering that last 3 years they were seriously abused by visiting friends kids.

My PS3 received above average (ab)use in the last 3 years and works fine, including all Sony peripherals.

My wife's VAIO SVS is working at least 10 hours a day minimum and works as good as on first day - as in, no BSODs, no fan going into overdrive (there must be some dust buld-up inside), no material "fatigue" (hinges, keys, ODD, case creaks). Even keys surface haven't started showing wear (and she does type a lot, working at Uni).

Sony's RX100 camera is great. This summer (NZ summer, that is) was the first time since 2005 I took pocket camera for vacation instead of SLR, and I haven't really missed my SLR. In fact I really enjoyed moving around light.

Much as I am concerned, Sony still can and do make good products, both quality and feature wise.

Glad to hear that Sony has been good for you as it has for me.
    I assume Sony manufactures their products in Japan, if so, this explains the quality of their products.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Glad to hear that Sony has been good for you as it has for me.

I assume Sony manufactures their products in Japan, if so, this explains the quality of their products.

Sony does a significant of manufacturing in China. Looks like this is another field of expertise of yours, like chemistry.

• Reply 29 of 42
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    rtdunham wrote: »
    It looks like the company's stock is down around 30% compared to a year ago (But to be fair, apple's is down comparably). Apple had $13 billion in profits last quarter, the second highest ever for a US corporation. Sony has lost money for the past four quarters. Even without the comparison to apple, losing money constitutes "troubled". That's how I'd interpret the word.

So Amazon is troubled then?

Absolutely. You don't think Amazon is troubled? They can't lose money forever. Without significant change they won't be around in 10 years.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So when is Sony, HTC, etc. targeting Galaxy S3 owners?

When transferring data between Android phones isn't trivial.  Seriously, transferring contacts and files from one Android phone to another is dead simple, you don't need an app for it...

• Reply 31 of 42
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Shouldn't moving between Android devices, as long as you use same user profile, be reasonably simple and transparent anyway? Not unlike moving within iDevice family?

I like Sony's recent phones, at least they look nicer than Samsungs. Same would go for latest HTC handsets. Why is Samsung that much more popular than any other Android brand really eludes me.

If there are people moving from iPhone to Android at all, I surely hope they will consider other options beside Samsung. In that light, I salute this effort. Market needs more strong, competitive brands.

Samsung has done a great job with their advertising, and streamlining their high-end line.  There were a million Galaxy S2 variants, but the S3 sold everywhere was the same.  

And I do agree Sony and HTC make much nicer phones, in fact HTC, Sony and Lenovo would be my picks for best Android phones, Samsung is terrible (down there with LG).  

If HTC stays disciplined and actually make the One their only flagship this year, they could make a very strong comeback.  Another big plus for HTC is their licensing deals with both MS and Apple - they can essentially innovate with absolutely no fear of lawsuits.  And the One looks pretty slick, great camera, cool Flipboard-like home screen, front speakers, aluminum body, etc..., all looks great.

• Reply 32 of 42
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

How is Sony 'troubled'? Just because they don't have a huge market share in smartphones doesn't mean they're troubled. 

LOL!

It's time to jack out of The Matrix, Neo.

Welcome...to the real world...

(Second big image to DaHarder giving him a thumbs up and agreeing with him. It's good to see that DaHarder's inability to discern situations accurately extends across everything)

• Reply 33 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Congratulations to Sony in getting competitive with smartphones...just as we all swap to glasses and watches.

Been there. Done that. image

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Android-Watch-Smart-Phone-SmartWatch-Bondwatch-Pink-Mint-Grey-White-Blue-Black-Multicolor-Multi-Color/en/p/MN2SW

• Reply 34 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Been there. Done that. image

Just like the portable music market, eh?

And the BetaMax market?

The eReader market?

The UMD, Minidisc, and Memory Stick markets?

The console games market?

Not exactly dominant in any of these areas now, are they?

You can be first, or the first to do it right.

I know which I prefer.

Ironically, I don't actually believe that Apple intends to make a watch but the example was their to illustrate that Sony are playing catch-up. Big-time.

Here's to hoping that Kazuo can turn it all around...

• Reply 35 of 42

Sony does a significant of manufacturing in China. Looks like this is another field of expertise of yours, like chemistry.

That is interesting question - I know that camera, RX100, is made in Japan, and will check other Sony items I have. I don't believe it is really important nowadays, tho. If factory is well equipped and workers well trained, geographic location is hardly quality-defining factor any more. Isn't Apple doing most/all of their production in China, anyway? And they are still well put together.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    gtr wrote: »

The console games market?

Not exactly dominant in any of these areas now, are they?

You can be first, or the first to do it right.

I know which I prefer.

Ironically, I don't actually believe that Apple intends to make a watch but the example was their to illustrate that Sony are playing catch-up. Big-time.

Here's to hoping that Kazuo can turn it all around...

They actually are still strong in console market. Don't forget that Sony was selling 3 (even 4 for a short time) different consoles to one Xbox.

While PS3 only outsold X360 globaly in early 2013 , consider that Sony was also making PS2 until end 2012, and PSP is still being made. PSP alone outsold X360, with 1 year head-start. And PS2 was still selling well back in 2006/7/8 at least. Put them all together, Playstation sales should more than double Xbox sales in 2006 - 2013 period.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    I'm sorry, but when I look at Microsoft's percentage of the console market in 2001 then look at it now, the words, "Well done, Sony" don't spring to mind...
  • Reply 38 of 42
    gtr wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but when I look at Microsoft's percentage of the console market in 2001 then look at it now, the words, "Well done, Sony" don't spring to mind...

It would be irrational to expect that PS2 runaway success can go on for ever.

But then, from that perspective Apple is not doing too good with iPad either. They had pretty much 100% of market in the first year or so when iPad was introduced. You can only go down from that number, and they did.

Now it also depends what will MS and Sony do with X360 and PS3 in the next few years. If MS does the same as they did with original Xbox (as in discontinue it right after X720 is introduced) and Sony does what they did with PS2 (as in keep making PS3 until PS5 is about to be introduced), Sony still might have a winner in this console generation. Unlikely, but not impossible.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nikon133 wrote: »

Sure. There might a couple issues depending on the version or the vendor's add-ons but that's doubtful. My comment was really meant to be a joke.
  • Reply 40 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It would be irrational to expect that PS2 runaway success can go on for ever.

But then, from that perspective Apple is not doing too good with iPad either. They had pretty much 100% of market in the first year or so when iPad was introduced. You can only go down from that number, and they did.

Now it also depends what will MS and Sony do with X360 and PS3 in the next few years. If MS does the same as they did with original Xbox (as in discontinue it right after X720 is introduced) and Sony does what they did with PS2 (as in keep making PS3 until PS5 is about to be introduced), Sony still might have a winner in this console generation. Unlikely, but not impossible.

So, would you place Sony and Apple in the same league as each other today?