Apple rival Samsung's Galaxy S IV shows up in online video ahead of launch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Because you are putting citations on every bold statement you make...

Were I to claim that kids don't care and speak as to their preferences, yes I'd give a citation.

• Reply 62 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Bluetooth and speaker options aside, you are forgetting that more and more people are using these "phones" as computers. Even the kids in the AT&T commercials understand bigger is better.  The screen is now far more important than some imagined embarrassment you may feel about holding it up to your head in public. Are you also afraid to ever use a landline type phone for that same fear? I am a current iPhone user and Apple might have counted my purchase as an affirmation that I do not want a bigger display and they would be wrong. I prefer iOS over Android but most definitely do not prefer a 4" display over a larger one. Now that talking on the phone is becoming far less important a bigger display just is far more appealing. The iPad Mini LTE option is not the answer either. The fact that you even suggest that as an alternative amazes me. There is a huge gap between the two leaving aside the need to still have traditional voice service even if it is used less frequently it is still essential. How would you call 911 on an iPad Mini LTE for example? I can carry a phone like the S3 or S4 in my pocket but cannot carry an iPad Mini as easily. 

Whether I am alone or one of tens of millions of other disgruntled and impatient iPhone owners waiting for that elusive iPhone+ with a display somewhere around 4.5" to 5" I do not know. But I will reluctantly abandon the phone OS I prefer to get the display I need. I will wait and see what Apple has in store this year but if they don't release a larger iPhone than 4" I have to buy a phone that works for me and that most certainly is not another 4" display which annoys me daily at how small things look. I can't buy new eyes but I can buy a new phone. 

My sentiments exactly, thank you!

• Reply 63 of 86
    Funny how at the beginning of the video in the background the sales shpeel is talking about the iPad. Samsung's got a bigger screen, so it's a bigger p.o.s.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I predict that the same Samsung loving fanatics people who mocked that the iPhone 5 was "LOL EXACTLY THE SAME BUT LONGER" (except it wasn't, completely rebuilt with different materials) will slobber all over this phone and won't mind one bit that it looks pretty much identical.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sure.... If that's what you 'need' to tell yourself.

It's so interesting to read all these naysayer comments when it's not even known if this is even the real device... So Much Panic - LOL!

I don't need anything. Just stated some facts.

Did any samsung phone innovated in any area? No. Are they fast? Hell no, they are the slowest top phones available (experience). Are they cheaper? No. How's their build quality? Sh*t.

• Reply 66 of 86
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I don't need anything. Just stated some facts.

Did any samsung phone innovated in any area? No. Are they fast? Hell no, they are the slowest top phones available (experience). Are they cheaper? No. How's their build quality? Sh*t.

Please explain to me what was so innovative about the iPhone 5. I would say out of all the mobile phone companies, the innovation has been coming from Google. Fortunately for Samsung, they get to use those Google innovations.

• Reply 67 of 86
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I predict that the same Samsung loving fanatics people who mocked that the iPhone 5 was "LOL EXACTLY THE SAME BUT LONGER" (except it wasn't, completely rebuilt with different materials) will slobber all over this phone and won't mind one bit that it looks pretty much identical.

Who actually buys the phone based on the look of it? The S3 was already a nice sized phone and in my opinion was big enough. I think 5" is getting pretty darn close to the maximum size people want to carry around although no doubt the Note 3 will be even bigger. Most Android owning friends I have are not fanatics nor do they visit online forums to praise or bash a phone. I would wager 99% of all iPhone owners and Android owners would fall into that category. This big Android vs. iPhone invented war is fought by a few thousands in some imagined war whereas most people are just busy living their lives and do not even know this epic war is being fought. 

Although very anecdotal I challenge any of you to ask friends why they bought that big Android phone and 8 times out of 10 it won't be because they hate Apple, are fandroid soldiers, or any other such nonsense. It will be because they went into the store and liked the big screen or maybe saw a commercial, or many other reasons that have nothing to do with this imagined war. My best friend loves Apple and is extremely knowledgeable about tech since he is a computer engineer. He decided on the HTC Droid DNA simply because he liked the screen and felt that was more important than the looks of an iPhone 5 or iOS. It was just that simple. He also said that if Apple makes a larger version he would gladly switch. So good luck in your imagined war where people slobber over a piece of metal or plastic. 

• Reply 68 of 86
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never realized that the plastic back snaps on and off. I am always really careful with my phones and have never dropped one, but I can imagine if you dropped that phone, the plastic back might pop off. Also, after awhile, removing and reinstalling the battery and the back case, it would be possible that the plastic could eventually become loose and come off very easily. Time for tape and rubber bands.

When I owned the Note 2 this eventually happened daily. Drop phone - back pops off - battery comes flying out.

• Reply 69 of 86
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

No doubt.

If I were absolutely forced to have to use an Android phone, there is no way I'd pick this.  The HTC One is a beautiful phone- and I love the infrared sensor power button. Its really the first one to compete with the aesthetics of the iPhone IMO.  Too bad it runs a garbage OS.

Linux's not a garbage OS. While you might argue about Android (which I believe is a pretty good piece of engineering, but obviously you disagree, and who am I to say you're wrong? I don't know you, you might be an expert in OS design), I think that both iOS and Android are amazing Unixes, and we are lucky to live in a world where both main OSes are UNIX-based, instead of Microsoft(R)Windows(R)Extreme(TM)Professional(TM)Mobile(TM)Edition(R), or some equally ridiculous idea by Steve B.

• Reply 70 of 86
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

No doubt.

If I were absolutely forced to have to use an Android phone, there is no way I'd pick this.  The HTC One is a beautiful phone- and I love the infrared sensor power button. Its really the first one to compete with the aesthetics of the iPhone IMO.  Too bad it runs a garbage OS.

Looks like an iPhone to me, and on top of it, is not "real" yet. It's still a "will exist later" phone.

• Reply 71 of 86
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Looks like an iPhone to me, and on top of it, is not "real" yet. It's still a "will exist later" phone.

It will be very much real very soon. Far sooner than the iPhone 5S or 6 or whatever will come from Apple later in the year. And out of curiosity, which non iPhone smart phone doesn't look like an iPhone to you? Unlike cars which are huge and easily differentiated even from a distance, smart phones are all going thinner. They are all rectangles some with sharper and some with more rounded corners, they all have a display, some have one button and others have a few more on the front. Should Android makers make an oval shaped phone to satisfy you? I really just don't see how this is copying an iPhone aside from the rudimentary and necessary elements that all smart phones currently share. 

• Reply 72 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

For someone who thinks he/she is up to date tech news wise, you certainly are not, or are spinning again?

78% of malware is found on android devices versus 0.17% for iOS.

So malware is not a problem? Are you serious?

I see, you have your own definition of malware now!

You are so easy to catch out, how many times

is that now?

You seem to be one of the angriest members here. Relax a bit and we can have a discussion.

There's absolutely no articles I have read that claim the typical Android user has been hit with malware. None. If you disagree then simply link a few articles that show otherwise. Tossing around claims that Android users are X% more likely to encounter malware doesn't say much about how much risk they actually have. How many malware instances "in the wild" in your 78% mention? And how many users are affected? Is it one in 10? One in 100? One in 1000? And where is it coming from? I don't have any doubt that the opportunity for malware is higher on Android than iOS. Much less curation. But I do have real doubts that "malware" is a significant danger for the average Android user, particularly outside of Russia and China.

Mixed in with a typical fear and dread Android malware article in January Trend-Micro at least made this clarification:

"However, so far Android malware is not widely used in targeted attacks that are often intended to steal sensitive data, which are still mostly aimed at PCs, Genes points out, "But that could change."

And what IS malware according to companies promoting antivirus solutions. Is adware given the same threat-level as spyware? In some reports it is. If an app delivers ads without alerting the user in advance to that behavior it's malware.  If an app reads your contacts without noting it to the user it's malware. If it reads your location without listing it in  the app description, it''s malware. If there's any data that's read such as device ID or phone number yet not listed in the user permissions, it's malware.  The most recent article here reporting on F-Secure even included Android testing software that could be used to root out malware in the list of malware. Huh? 

With none of the reports listing specifics like the number of people infected, what it did, or how it happened, reports like the recent one from F-Secure could just as likely be FUD as fact IMO

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/07/f-secure-android-malware-report/

EDIT: Sorry for the distraction from discussing the upcoming S4. Discussion of Android malware probably belongs in a more appropriate thread. 

• Reply 73 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I figured it was only fair. One-post user comes onto an Apple site heralding the 'benefits' of the competition—may as well bring it back to reality.

I saw that, and appreciated it. Actually I had the same intention, trying to restore a little balance on a page where the comments almost unanimously praise iPhone's highlights and ignore the GS4's strong points.  I felt especially compelled to say something in response to the "iPhone is for pretty people with money who know a great phone when they see it, and GS4 is for the poor and unrefined masses" sentiment.

That said, I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything. The software and UX put it in a class of its own. But I freely acknowledge that the GS4 has it beat in almost every hardware spec, and the nifty features it's touting will be a joy to use in their own respects.  Comments like "ugly, zero innovation, crappy UI" are emotion, not reality.

• Reply 74 of 86
    Ahhh, more fear from the iFaithful. I love it.

As Apple falls further and further behind, I expect the iFans to scream louder and louder about how their phone is "premium"... Even when they slap a cheap 99 cent plastic case on it.

Keep the comments going. Those of us with S3's and Note 2's love laughing at you guys.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Most all of which is on 3rd party app stores used on extremely cheap phones sold in foreign countries that Google bans from Google ecosystem. So yes, he is serious.

Unless you go enable installation of 3rd party apps and ignore the harsh security warning Google spits at you and proceed to download random foreign language apps, Android has the same malware risk as iOS.

Blah blah blah

Facts are presented to you android apologists, but facts are irrelevant when it hurts.

• Reply 76 of 86
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You seem to be one of the angriest members here. Relax a bit and we can have a discussion.

There's absolutely no articles I have read that claim the typical Android user has been hit with malware. None. If you disagree then simply link a few articles that show otherwise. Tossing around claims that Android users are X% more likely to encounter malware doesn't say much about how much risk they actually have. How many malware instances "in the wild" in your 78% mention? And how many users are affected? Is it one in 10? One in 100? One in 1000? And where is it coming from? I don't have any doubt that the opportunity for malware is higher on Android than iOS. Much less curation. But I do have real doubts that "malware" is a significant danger for the average Android user, particularly outside of Russia and China.

Mixed in with a typical fear and dread Android malware article in January Trend-Micro at least made this clarification:

"However, so far Android malware is not widely used in targeted attacks that are often intended to steal sensitive data, which are still mostly aimed at PCs, Genes points out, "But that could change."

And what IS malware according to companies promoting antivirus solutions. Is adware given the same threat-level as spyware? In some reports it is. If an app delivers ads without alerting the user in advance to that behavior it's malware.  If an app reads your contacts without noting it to the user it's malware. If it reads your location without listing it in  the app description, it''s malware. If there's any data that's read such as device ID or phone number yet not listed in the user permissions, it's malware.  The most recent article here reporting on F-Secure even included Android testing software that could be used to root out malware in the list of malware. Huh? 

With none of the reports listing specifics like the number of people infected, what it did, or how it happened, reports like the recent one from F-Secure could just as likely be FUD as fact IMO

http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/07/f-secure-android-malware-report/

EDIT: Sorry for the distraction from discussing the upcoming S4. Discussion of Android malware probably belongs in a more appropriate thread. 

The article was on AI a few days ago, and you commented on it.

Jeeze you have poor memory, or is it a selected one ?

If someone tells me, you have a 78% chance of being hit by the train if you cross at the level crossing that is not controlled by warning lights and a barrier, versus 0.17% if you cross where it is encouraged to (due to warning/barrier etc.), I guess you would not only cross where its dangerous but poke your tongue to mock those who do the correct thing. Not only that, you will be blind folded, have cotton wool stuff in your ears, spun around and then pushed towards the crossing.

The pusher ensuring that your travel coincides with the train time table.

But in your warped mind, you are safe.

• Reply 77 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

The article was on AI a few days ago, and you commented on it.

Jeeze you have poor memory, or is it a selected one ?

If someone tells me, you have a 78% chance of being hit by the train if you cross at the level crossing that is not controlled by warning lights and a barrier, versus 0.17% if you cross where it is encouraged to (due to warning/barrier etc.), I guess you would not only cross where its dangerous but poke your tongue to mock those who do the correct thing. 

The article didn't claim Android devices had a 78% chance of being infected with malware so you've not offered a valid analogy. When you can come back with a source showing the actual rate of infection then we have something to discuss. X% of some undefined number doesn't tell you a thing about how prevalent malware is.

For those without the patience to wait for numbers from HFTS, here's some to put things in perspective. According to estimates based on a report from Lookout Security the percentage of US Android devices that will encounter some form of malware in 2013: Less than 1/2 of 1%.. In Japan even less than that. Russia on the other hand comes in at 35%.  Note that even includes relatively benign Adware. 

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/12/13/lookout-predicts-18-4m-android-users-will-be-infected-with-malware-during-2012-and-2013-or-some-1/

• Reply 78 of 86
    I was completely distracted by that guys creepy hands. Made me feel dirty watching him fondle that brick.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Originally Posted by guaihu View Post

When I owned the Note 2 this eventually happened daily. Drop phone - back pops off - battery comes flying out.

Dude, you need learn to be more careful or schedule an appointment with your doctor.  Perhaps there is something wrong with your coordination or you suffer from a neural muscular skeletal degradation issue. You shouldn't be dropping your phone daily, unless you are a stunt acrobatic skateboarder trying to txt and grind at the same time.

• Reply 80 of 86
    mstone wrote: »
    Dude, you need learn to be more careful or schedule an appointment with your doctor.  Perhaps there is something wrong with your coordination or you suffer from a neural muscular skeletal degradation issue. You shouldn't be dropping your phone daily, unless you are a stunt acrobatic skateboarder trying to txt and grind at the same time.

That's how I broke my Powebook 5300