Using an IBM ThinkPad (PB died)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm typing this from an IBM ThinkPad at work because when I plugged in my PowerBook it made a popping sound and white smoke came out of the hole where the power adapter goes. Now it's just dead.

I suppose nobody has a simple home remedy for this?

*sigh*

I can't afford to fix this and I cannot afford to buy a new computer.

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]

[Jamie just taking Moved out of title]

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: Jamie ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    White smoke coming from power adapter opening = your computer is busted. Not the kind of thing you can fix yourself, even with advice from smart AI people.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Yeah, I was afraid that may have been the case there, sizzle chest. I was looking at PBparts.com and they had a Power/Sound board for my computer (pismo) that cost $229, but the guy said if it won't even turn on with the battery it is probably more than the power and sound board that is dead.

Does anybody know if this is true or not? If it's just the power and sound board, I can probably handle the cost if I sell blood twice a week until school resumes, but if it's the power and sound board and other things too, like the Motherboard or something, then I'm ****ed.

I was using a MadsonLine power adapter and I suspect that may have been the cause of my problem, but I'm not sure. It was fine for a couple months.

ah well. I have a feeling it will be cheaper to buy a used laptop on e-bay for repair parts than it will be to get it fixed by a dealer.

I'm frustrated.

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: rogue27 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    I always like to use mechanical problems as an excuse to buy a new machine, but you might be surprised how reasonably you could get the thing fixed by Apple. Not cheap, mind you, but not outrageously expensive for many types of repairs.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I am asuming that your PowerBook is not under warranty, is this correct? Sounds like a logic board to me. New machine for you. Once you get a correct diagnosis for your problem, I might be interested in buying it if you choose to sell it. Sorry dude, that really sucks.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    with what happened, it's hosed.

even if you fixed the part, odds are something else is broken too. that's a massive power surge, and i'm sure a wide variety of components got toasted.

don't bother fixing it, although you might be able to see the LCD on it to a used mac dealer. people with cracked LCD's are always looking to pick one up used.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Well, G4 Dude I'll have to let you know after I find out how dead it is. I'm going to see what it will cost to get an estimate.

As for the warranty... no, I bought it from Outpost.com didn't have a chance to buy a warranty. Outpost didn't offer it and Apple didn't offer me an extension after a year either. \
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Oh, the home remedy I was looking for...

I pressed the little black reset button on the back panel of the PowerBook, then I took it apart somewhat and put it back together. Then I put the battery in and pressed the power button.

It turned on and seems to work fine so far.

I didn't put the AirPort card back in yet (I removed that when I took it apart and left it out)

I also have not used the AC adapter again. I'm afraid to, since that's what made the pop and the smoke. I have two adapters though. i was using my small Madisonline Adapter, and I also have the original Apple one that the comptuer came with, so I'm going to attempt to back up my files onto a FireWire drive and then try using the AC adapter and see what happens. I think I'll pull the battery before I do this as well. I hope it works out...

I'm a bit worried though...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Plug in FireWire Drive... Done

Back up Files... Done

Boot off of AC Power Alone... Done

Insert Battery... Done

Recharge Battery... Failed

The comptuer works fine except one thing. It will not recharge the battery. It will boot off of the battery or off of the AC Adapter, but if they are both connected, it will not recharge the battery, it will just sit at 81% and say, "Time Remaining: 0h 0m" (that is, time to finish recharging the battery.

So, I pulled the battery and replaced it with the Weight Saving Device (WSD) and will get the power board replaced when I do have some money.

Hang in there, baby... Just 8 more months and I'll start shopping for a new computer...

*sighs a sigh of much relief, but not quote total relief*
  • Reply 10 of 10
    skaioneskaione Posts: 30member
    [quote] I have a feeling it will be cheaper to buy a used laptop on e-bay for repair parts than it will be to get it fixed by a dealer.<hr></blockquote>

lol. It probably won't. Those fools on ebay bid everything Mac up to SRP. I don't know why. I think it has something to do with wanting to pay more for your equipment. It's a characteristic us Apple users have...go figure