Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    eat@me wrote: »
    Who cares about flyover when the underlying data from Tom Tom is still crap

What data specifically in Apple Maps is sourced from Tom Tom?
  • Reply 22 of 101
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Seeing Modesto and Stockton on the list makes me wonder how they are assigning priority to Maps improvements.

Clearly not high priority targets. It is possible that they built these as some sort of "test" (especially since they are relatively close to Cupertino), and then just said "Fine, throw them in on the list" once they had completed the work.

• Reply 23 of 101
    The urban myth about Street View on iOS continues... Street View was NEVER available on iOS... It was not 'lost' when Apple went to its own mapping device...
  • Reply 24 of 101
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

What they need to do is to reality check all the Yelp-sourced POIs and location data.  Or replace the Yelp location data entirely.

They likely are checking it, which is why updates take so long.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    The urban myth about Street View on iOS continues... Street View was NEVER available on iOS... It was not 'lost' when Apple went to its own mapping device...

I hate to tell you but Google Street View was previously available on the Maps app on the iPhone. See here for some analysis regarding the misunderstanding.
  • Reply 26 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Clearly not high priority targets. It is possible that they built these as some sort of "test" (especially since they are relatively close to Cupertino), and then just said "Fine, throw them in on the list" once they had completed the work.

No... having lived in California for many years, I can tell you that if you find yourself in either Modesto or Stockton, you're lost.  A good map is exactly what you need in order to go somewhere better.  ;)

I'm more concerned about "Providence, RH".  

What state is RH?  Rhode Hampshire?

• Reply 27 of 101
    Support apple hard work
  • Reply 28 of 101

I think Omaha Nebraska is next, the overhead air traffic has picked up...

• Reply 29 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

When will OS X have access I wonder?

I bet this summer.

They will probably have a Maps application and a web interface.

• Reply 30 of 101
    The maps still says I live directly next to Parkway golf course in Fremont, a golf course which is actually about 2 miles up the street from me.

quinney wrote: »
    Seeing Modesto and Stockton on the list makes me wonder how they are assigning priority to Maps improvements.

drblank wrote: »
    It's probably based on what data they can get that's clean.  Modesto and Stockton are probably some of the bigger cities in Ca they still have left to do.  Who knows?

I live fairly close to both and neither are major cities. They're both small towns compared to the rest of the Bay Area. So it is odd they would pick those towns instead of higher populated areas like San Jose or Palo Alto (which is also small but is a busy lil town) or even Oakland.
  • Reply 31 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Apple maps is infintly better than google maps (via web).

I cannot comment on the google map app on the iDevice, but I don't care as this shit will never get past the tighest quality control out there, thats me.

Based on the UI from past uses of google, I can be 100% certain that its rubbish.

Apple maps work fine for me, and it will only get better over time.

Where are the whiners when google first released their map app ? Where are you ? I can smell you but not see you ? Please come out and play.

The Google Maps UI has been completely redesigned and it's much better than most of Apple's iOS junk. Maybe Jony Ive will fix things but right now, Google's doing much better than Apple with UI.

• Reply 32 of 101
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    ... and the hoover dam bypass bridge finally goes over the colorado rather than down into the canyon and sitting on top of the river.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    "Compounding the problem was Apple's decision to ditch Google Maps, which powered iOS Maps until iOS 6, a move that left iOS device users without familiar features like Google's Street View and public transit times."

Complaining that Google Maps was taken away without mentioning that they are now available on the iPhone again is sloppy writing.

"The Press" may have done a lot of complaining about Apple maps but I (someone who uses Apple maps every day) personally found it to be a BIG improvement over Google's feature-hobbled maps that was on IOS previously.
  • Reply 34 of 101

Troy NY also has FlyOver.  

Check out Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Russell Sage College in FlyOver.

Very cool.  Go Apple...

• Reply 35 of 101
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Of no practical value whatsoever, unlike street view.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    I live fairly close to both and neither are major cities. They're both small towns compared to the rest of the Bay Area. So it is odd they would pick those towns instead of higher populated areas like San Jose or Palo Alto (which is also small but is a busy lil town) or even Oakland.

You do realize that major sections of Oakland, Palo Alto and San Jose as well as Cupertino, Hayward, Milpitas, Mountain View, Sacramento, San Francisco, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale already have 3D Flyover renderings?

Compared to many cities in the United States, Modesto and Stockton are "major cities." For example, Stockton has a greater population than Buffalo, NY; Durham, NC; Newark, NJ; Orlando, FL; or Reno, NV.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I always scratch my head when I read posts that proclaim something with words like never and terms like urban myth. You're so cocksure about your comment that I can't help but assume that you have extensively researched this "fact" which is why you haven't phrased your comment as I think or I believe yet you're wrong and it's easily verifiable as noted by a previous comment.
  • Reply 38 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Of no practical value whatsoever, unlike street view.

Sure, That's why Google is trying to copy it but can't. :)

In the mean time, you sir are in denial.

I prefer to zoom in with FlyOver in Apple Maps than to use StreetView.  I don't use Google Maps anymore on iOS.

Once Apple Maps is available on OS X I will use it there as well instead of Google Maps.

With so many Maps available nowadays, I think Apple Maps is very rich and yet has amazing potential.

• Reply 39 of 101
    San Antonio, Texas is the largest city by population in the United States which does not have 3D Flyover rendering. San Antonio is the seventh largest city by population in the United States.

Here is a [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population]list of cities in the United States by Population[/URL] and a notation if the city doesn't have 3D Flyover.

1. New York, NY
    2. Los Angeles, CA
    3. Chicago, IL
    4. Houston, TX
    5. Philadelphia, PA
    6. Phoenix, AZ
    7. San Antonio, TX - No Flyover
    8. San Diego, CA
    9. Dallas, TX
    10. San Jose, CA
    11. Jacksonville, FL - No Flyover
    12. Indianapolis, IN
    13. Austin, TX
    14. San Francisco, CA
    15. Columbus, OH - No Flyover
    16. Ft. Worth, TX
    17. Charlotte, NC - No Flyover
    18. Detroit, MI - No Flyover
    19. El Paso, TX - No Flyover
    20. Memphis, TN
    21. Boston, MA
    22. Seattle, WA
    23. Denver, CO
    24. Baltimore, MD
    25. Washington, D.C. - No Flyover
    26. Nashville, TN
    27. Louisville, KY - No Flyover
    28. Milwaukee, WI - No Flyover
    29. Portland, OR
    30. Oklahoma City, OK - No Flyover
    31. Las Vegas, NV
    32. Albuquerque, NM - No Flyover
    33. Tucson, AZ - No Flyover
    34. Fresno, CA - No Flyover
    35. Sacramento, CA
    36. Long Beach, CA
    37. Kansas City, MO - No Flyover
    38. Mesa, AZ - No Flyover
    39. Virginia Beach, VA - No Flyover
    40. Atlanta, GA
    41. Colorado Springs, CO - No Flyover
    42. Raleigh, NC - No Flyover
    43. Omaha, NE - No Flyover
    44. Miami, FL
    45. Tulsa, OK - No Flyover
    46. Oakland, CA
    47. Cleveland, OH
    48. Minneapolis, MN - No Flyover
    49. Wichita, KS - No Flyover
    50. Arlington, TX
    51. New Orleans, LA
    52. Bakersfield, CA - No Flyover
    53. Tampa, FL - No Flyover
    54. Anaheim, CA - No Flyover
    55. Honolulu, HI
    56. Aurora, CO
    57. Santa Ana, CA - No Flyover
    58. St. Louis, MO - No Flyover
    59. Riverside, CA - No Flyover
    60. Corpus Christi, TX - No Flyover
  • Reply 40 of 101
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

Hey buddy, I've got some news for you:

but just so you know, as it seems you are unaware how Street View was accessible on the iOS map, this kid put together a helpful Youtube video, four years ago.