Losing network connection after sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
After I put my computer to sleep for a few hours (usually overnight) I have no network connection when I wake it up and I have to reboot to get it back. This doesn't happen when it's only asleep for a few minutes. What can I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    which OS and hardware combination are you using?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>which OS and hardware combination are you using?</strong><hr></blockquote>

350MHz G4 AGP, OS X 10.1
  • Reply 3 of 9
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by elektrobank:

<strong>

350MHz G4 AGP, OS X 10.1</strong><hr></blockquote>

Please provide info on your network setup too.

DHCP or static IP, hubs, router, DSL or cable, other machines on network, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    is it 10.1, 10.1.5, which version exactly?

also, Apple has a networking update that's supposed to fix this type of problem. have your checked your software update tab lately?

if it's not there, you might want to try downloading it from apple's site and see if it works then.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>is it 10.1, 10.1.5, which version exactly?

also, Apple has a networking update that's supposed to fix this type of problem. have your checked your software update tab lately?

if it's not there, you might want to try downloading it from apple's site and see if it works then.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am running 10.1.5 with the network update. I have this hooked up to a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router. I know it's not the router's problem because I also have an XP box hooked up to this same router, which I also put to sleep overnight but it doesn't lose it's network connection. Also after waking up the Mac I can't even connect to the router with my web browser.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    I have a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router that also seems to randomly stop working some times but not after waking up from sleep. Loging out and back in seems to help or just wating 5-10 minutes The problems gotten so bad for me I am replacing the router with a netgear one.

When you wake up try checking the network utillity in the utillity folder in Applications to see if you even have a connection to the network.

Also see if the router shows a connection.

If you haven't already done so assign the computer a static IP and put in the DNS numbers that should make it more reliable.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by jante99:

<strong>I have a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router that also seems to randomly stop working some times but not after waking up from sleep. Loging out and back in seems to help or just wating 5-10 minutes The problems gotten so bad for me I am replacing the router with a netgear one.

When you wake up try checking the network utillity in the utillity folder in Applications to see if you even have a connection to the network.

Also see if the router shows a connection.

If you haven't already done so assign the computer a static IP and put in the DNS numbers that should make it more reliable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've always had problems with linksys PCI NICs quitting out randomly. Could never get linux to recognize them with the correct drivers directly from linksys's website. I even had some linux gurus (I was a newb at the time) help me out and they couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. My Linksys USB 802.11b-to-USB adapter sucks too. Sometimes it quits out and basically windows stops recognizing it, and the adapter acts like it's still connected, and when I disconnect it windows still thinks it's connected. Sometimes I need to restart because it disables all my USB (my mouse is USB) and I need to restart to re-initialize USB. I haven't had that much trouble with Linksys routers/switches/hubs though. It's just Linksys's NICs that seem to give me problems. I use 3com for PCI NICs now, and they always work.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I'v had the same problem for a while. What is happening is that your internet settings are changing during the time that your computer is at sleep. Try creating a new Locations settings. If all else fails you could always just backup all your data and redo your computer.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    there has being network problems after the update to 10.1.5.

checkout: <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106905&amp;SaveKCWindowURL=http: %2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Expert&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com&s howButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=true&se ssionID=anonymous|139557796" target="_blank">apple care kwnowledge base</a>