Lazy chooser

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

On 9.2.2 with Epson Photo 810 I got a problem of printing.

The problem is that the chooser is losing the printer port. I open the

chooser and mark the printer icon in the left pane, then on the right

pane the port printer, in my case iMac 800, the usb port is seen and highlighted.

My problem: from time to time the ability to print vanished. I send a

pile to backup printing, or to direct printing, and after the document

is spooling, no printing happens. Then, after rebooting, the USB port

reappears on the right pane, and I can printing again. After few

moments, and working with other applications, and trying once again to

print, problems, and I have to reboot again.

I have reinstalled the printer software several times, from the original

CD, and from d/led drivers from Epson site. To no avail.

Any help is welcomed.

Raymond

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Moving to Genius Bar
  • Reply 2 of 7
    raygolraygol Posts: 29member
    Mr Moderator,

Please answer my question and how to resolve my problem

Raymond
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lzhlzh Posts: 14member
    Hey did you see the answer to my "naughty chooser" post....actually selecting the usb port as well as the printer icon solved it for me...

hope it'll help you.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Hello,

I wish mine was yours.

As I wrote in my initial post: when clicking on the printer icon on the left, the USB port icon, on the right pane, does not appear, in my case.

My question is why and what can be done.

So the good answer you got is not my luck. I can get the USB port icon only after rebooting.

It is strange.

I wish someone could have helped me.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by raygol:

<strong>Hello,

I wish mine was yours.

As I wrote in my initial post: when clicking on the printer icon on the left, the USB port icon, on the right pane, does not appear, in my case.

My question is why and what can be done.

So the good answer you got is not my luck. I can get the USB port icon only after rebooting.

It is strange.

I wish someone could have helped me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is your printer plugged directly into the Mac, or is it plugged into the keyboard or a hub?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sounds like the USB hub/port is locking up on you.

it happens on macs and pcs from time to time, seems to be an issue with USB.

you best bet is to do the following.

if plugged into the machine, unplug it from that port and just plug it right back in. then go to the chooser. you printer should be there w/o restarting.

if plugged into the keyboard, plug your printer directly into your computer and see if that helps.

if plugged into a hub, unplug the power going into the hub and plug it back in, that usually resets whatever is causing the problem in the USB hub.

as for a permanent solution, i would say you need to update your USB software. do you run apple's software update consistantly? (it's under the apple menu, then control panels, then software update)

if not, there have been quite a few updates to the USB software that originally shipped with your iMac. they might help as well.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks for your detailed reply.

if plugged into the machine, unplug it from that port and just plug it right back in. then go to the chooser. you printer

should be there w/o restarting.

It was plugged diretly. I have disconnect and reconnect, and no results. Later

if plugged into the keyboard, plug your printer directly into your computer and see if that helps.

I have plugged it to keyboard. The same story: no success.

if plugged into a hub, unplug the power going into the hub and plug it back in, that usually resets whatever is causing

the problem in the USB hub.

No. It is not plugged to a Hub.

as for a permanent solution, i would say you need to update your USB software. do you run apple's software update

consistantly? (it's under the apple menu, then control panels, then software update)

I'll try to follow you advise here and would look for updates, eventhough, I run it permanantly, and do not recall any USB software updates.