Samsung's Galaxy S IV switches to same GPU tech as Apple's A-series chips

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Samsung copied nothing. They bought a chip from a supplier just like Apple does.

Get over it!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

The sense is why Samsung is doing this back and forth?

who knows - it can be anything from price, to performance to availability - That is like asking why Apple keeps jumping from Intel, to Nvidia to AMD for their GPUs on Mac lines.

• Reply 23 of 45
    Not sure how this can be considered blatant copying as some of the posts suggest. It's not even the same model number, and i'm pretty sure Imagination is trying to sell its GPU technology to MORE than just one company (Apple). That would be analogous to saying that Apple copied Dell / HP when they switched to using Intel based CPU's in their macbooks.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Yet again, Apple blatantly copies what Samsung was already going to do in future.

• Reply 25 of 45
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Jut curious why AI finds this newsworthy.  Guess it must be a slow news day.

AI doesn't really care about newsworthy.

What they're looking for his ad-hit-worthy.

• Reply 26 of 45
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowspark View Post

Not sure how this can be considered blatant copying as some of the posts suggest. It's not even the same model number, and i'm pretty sure Imagination is trying to sell its GPU technology to MORE than just one company (Apple). That would be analogous to saying that Apple copied Dell / HP when they switched to using Intel based CPU's in their macbooks.

Yes, copying is copying.  No Apple fans defended Apple using Intel CPUs.  Why can't Samsung fans copy this too? 

• Reply 27 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Yes, copying is copying.  No Apple fans defended Apple using Intel CPUs.  Why can't Samsung fans copy this too? 

It's not copying, to suggest that it is is stupid.  It's a commercial company  (Imagination) penetrating the mobile GPU market and getting as many customers as they can to use their product.   The assertion that this is copying implies that in your eyes a component manufacturer should only have ONE customer that buys their COTS product line and any other customers that buys the same component for system integration is copying. It's bullshit and no manufacturing company could possibly survive like that.

• Reply 28 of 45
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Samsung's bigger screen requires both a higher clocked processor and larger battery.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    notownnotown Posts: 39member

How funny would it be for the S-IV to have a memory LEAK?

• Reply 30 of 45
    To accommodate a larger battery to satisfy the power demands of the new Power VR GPU is probably one of the reasons it's rumored to be larger than the current model. I' m reasonably sure they'll run it at max in their attempt to beat the iPhone. The thing that Samsung lacks is the optimizations Apple employs with the software, hardware and battery. They have to go bigger to get similar battery life and performance.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    tbell wrote: »
    Samsung's bigger screen requires both a higher clocked processor and larger battery.
    Maybe my theory is right. samdung makes larger phones as the internals take up much more room than the beautifully designed and engineered iPhones. They then market this as a positive. And morons fall for this.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    Big GPUs don't benefit Android because most Android games are coded without GPU acceleration for compatibility. There are many good Android phones with crap GPU like the Galaxy Nexus. If Samsung does not optimize Android 4.2 good enough, the PowerVR GPU could be sapping more power than before.

• Reply 33 of 45
    tangeytangey Posts: 31member
    vision33r wrote: »
    Big GPUs don't benefit Android because most Android games are coded without GPU acceleration for compatibility. There are many good Android phones with crap GPU like the Galaxy Nexus. If Samsung does not optimize Android 4.2 good enough, the PowerVR GPU could be sapping more power than before.

Given that anandtech found the "next gen" Mali T604 in the exynos5250 very power inefficient, and given that this Samsung chip has 4xa15 running, I think you'll find one of the reason for switching to the same graphics provider as apple uses, is to get better graphics performance at less power.
  • Reply 34 of 45

Honestly... Wouldn't it be much easier for Samsung to buy Apple iPhone's at wholesale level, whack a Samsung sticker ( a cheap tacky one ) and sell them as a Samsung phone ??

• Reply 35 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Beyond that Apple owns a good chunk of Imagination, so this is good for Apple too.    I really don't understand the noise being made about this either, it is no different than Apple bouncing back and forth between AMD and NVidia for their GPUs.  In this case though Apple, as a part owner of Imagination, wins too.  

What is or will be more interesting is to see what ends up in A7 both CPU and GPU wise.   I'd love to see Apple transition to 64 bit this year on the CPU side and move to next generation Imagination tech on the GPU side.  More powerful GPUs will obviously be beneficial in delivering the performance bump required in all of the iOS devices.  For me though the real key to cementing Apples leadership position is an early transition to 64 bit computing in tablets.  If they can do that while significantly increasing the amount of RAM in the machines the software possibilities on the machines become unlimited.  

In a nut shell Apple needs a hardware base that allows for app parity with the Mac OS platform.   That is we end up with things like iWork and Safari with complete feature parity.    At least on iPads as that is more geared to use of the apps constructively instead of as a viewer.     At least that is what I'm hoping for otherwise we will likely get a bump this year instead of a major transition.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowspark View Post

• Reply 36 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Beyond that Apple owns a good chunk of Imagination, so this is good for Apple too.    I really don't understand the noise being made about this either, it is no different than Apple bouncing back and forth between AMD and NVidia for their GPUs.  In this case though Apple, as a part owner of Imagination, wins too.  

What is or will be more interesting is to see what ends up in A7 both CPU and GPU wise.   I'd love to see Apple transition to 64 bit this year on the CPU side and move to next generation Imagination tech on the GPU side.  More powerful GPUs will obviously be beneficial in delivering the performance bump required in all of the iOS devices.  For me though the real key to cementing Apples leadership position is an early transition to 64 bit computing in tablets.  If they can do that while significantly increasing the amount of RAM in the machines the software possibilities on the machines become unlimited.  

In a nut shell Apple needs a hardware base that allows for app parity with the Mac OS platform.   That is we end up with things like iWork and Safari with complete feature parity.    At least on iPads as that is more geared to use of the apps constructively instead of as a viewer.     At least that is what I'm hoping for otherwise we will likely get a bump this year instead of a major transition.  

It's hard to guess what Apple's next step may be since they are working several steps ahead at the same time. The more Apple can take their CPU/GPU chip design in-house, the more they can cloak their intended design direction. The same thing with their planned evolution of iOS. 

If Apple were to go to 64 bit, as you hope, they have the control of their OS to do that. That's one place where Samsung cannot gain an advantage since they are dependent on Google's Android for their underlying OS. I'm counting on Apple to leverage one of their strengths in an unexpected way to cause a game-changer of some kind. Apple. after all, is the gold standard to beat and any unexpected curve they throw can un-track Samsung and everyone else.

• Reply 37 of 45
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    I can't believe Samsung is copying Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member

I don't even know where to begin.  Seems like many of you are living in 2009.

and 

[Samsung has been using Imagination cores off and on for years.

For example, both the Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab used the SGX540.]

You wouldn't call Apple copying HP/Dell and others when Apple was using AMD/ATI for sometime and switch to Nvidia.

• Reply 39 of 45
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Besides the fact that Samsung has used Imagination systems for years, Samsung licensed the PowerVR SGX MP family back in 2011.

• Reply 40 of 45

Try and remember nearly all the silicon in iPhones since day one has come from Samsung, and plenty of people want to buy bigger screened phones, look how well the Note is selling.