Apple's Schiller: Samsung Galaxy S IV may 'ship with an OS that is nearly a year old'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller took aim at Android in general and Samsung in particular, saying that the Galaxy S IV will ship with "an OS that is nearly a year old" in an interview published just hours before Apple's chief rival is expected to reveal its newest flagship model.

fragments
via Android.com

Schiller blasted Android and Samsung in an interview with Reuters on Wednesday. He focused on fragmentation in Android, which sees most of the OS's users relying on older software.

"With [Google's] own data," Shiller said, "only 16 percent of Android users are on year-old version of the operating system. Over 50 percent are still on software that is two years old. A really big difference."

Schiller was referring to the most recent figures on Android's install base, which show 16.5 percent of users running Android 4.1 or 4.2, 28.6 percent running Android 4.0, and 43.9 percent running Android 2.3.

The Apple marketing chief didn't go into detail on how customers are affected by running older software, but Schiller did point out that Samsung's Galaxy S IV will debut on Thursday likely running Android 4.2.

"And that extends to the news we are hearing this week that the Samsung Galaxy S IV is being rumored to ship with an OS that is nearly a year old," said Schiller. "Customers will have to wait to get an update."

Schiller's comments to Reuters are the Apple exec's second made to the media in a day. On Wednesday, Schiller spoke with The Wall Street Journal in an interview that hit largely the same points, though he didn't specifically address Samsung.

Schiller has been more vocal in addressing Android of late, taking to Twitter last week in order to point out a study showing a spike in malware on Google's mobile OS. That same study showed that iOS malware was at a comparatively small level.

The Apple executive's comments refer to the fact that Android versions go through multiple waves of lengthy testing and refinement at both the device manufacturer and carrier levels before they can be passed on to consumers. This is due to the manufacturers' tendency to heavily customize the software in order to differentiate their devices from their competitors.

fragments
via Android.com

Samsung's Android "skin" ? dubbed TouchWiz ? adds a number of different functions to the South Korean manufacturer's devices. In the case of the company's Galaxy Note 8.0, TouchWiz adds support for the digitizer S Pen. With the S IV, Samsung is expected to have built in eye-tracking software that will enable automatic scrolling, as well as other features that allow users to interact with the screen without touching it.

Schiller's focus on the install base of older software does not, however, acknowledge some recent shifting trends in the Android ecosystem. While a plurality of devices do run the years-old version 2.3, that proportion has been shrinking rapidly, dropping seven percentage points since December, while versions 4.1 and 4.2 have grown from about 7 percent of the more than 500 million Android devices in the world to more than 16 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113

Desperation.

• Reply 2 of 113
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I like the fact that Apple is speaking out, but ignoring the competition is usually a better way to go, media-wise. Why give them any attention?

He is correct, though. And Samsung's UI on top of Android is so damn ugly.
  • Reply 3 of 113
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

If it ships with 4.2.1, that came up in November, 2012. I guess the FUD train goes both ways.

• Reply 4 of 113
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    And somehow that matters to the end users. Weak argument.
  • Reply 5 of 113
    He is correct . Why buy an os a year ago ?
  • Reply 6 of 113
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I find the things Schiller has decided to speak out on a bit strange.  I wonder if Apple requested to speak with Bloomberg, Reuters and WSJ or if they reached out to Apple?

• Reply 7 of 113
    As much as I'm a fan of Apple products, I have to admit that the last versions of iOS feel outdated.

Samsung is following Apple's lead on focusing on 1 major feature that has the potential to change the mobile environment.

This is assuming of course that Samsung is releasing an eye-tracking feature and that it actually works as promised. This could be a game changer in hands free interaction.

However, going back to Apple, Siri was their answer to hands free interaction with mobile devices. Even though the feature had huge potential, it ended up being an unfinished product seen as gimmicky by many. Some will argue that the feature works for them, but overall is very limited in its nature. Not to mention that the feature exists for the most part on Android.

The lesson is that you only get 1 or 2 attempts at most before people move on. So if Samsung has such a feature and it works well, they could have the upper hand on Apple in this round.

Time will tell.

• Reply 8 of 113
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

If it ships with 4.2.1, that came up in November, 2012. I guess the FUD train goes both ways.

He said MIGHT, not would. 

Its a valid point and one folks might want to consider. As is the security etc stuff.

Some folks think that Apple etc should not talk about the other companies and their stuff but at least he's doing it in a clear headed way and not bashing the cx like Samsung's ad campaign.

• Reply 9 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I find the things Schiller has decided to speak out on a bit strange.  I wonder if Apple requested to speak with Bloomberg, Reuters and WSJ or if they reached out to Apple?

Given that the topic is Samsung/Android its more likely they approached Apple. Specifically to get thoughts about this new phone for this timing. They will likely also try to follow up with comments after the details are out. After all nothing gets page hits like a connection to Apple. 

• Reply 10 of 113
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

This does make Apple look a little desperate.  With the first new major phone in two years (iPhone 5) *and* giving away iPhone 4's for free they were able to gain 3.5% US market share.  So what do they have to counter the S IV for the next two years?  They'll likely get a minor bump from the 5s, but that will only offset the inevitable lull they get as people stop buying the iPhone 5 waiting for the 5s release.

Apple needs to come up with some new feature of their own, rather than trying to badmouth their competition- because like it or not Android phones are tremendous- especially if you value function over aesthetics.  

Apple needs new material other than the fragmentation argument.  I think that is more of a statement designed to make Apple users think they need to stay with Apple.  People with 3 year old phones running Honeycomb are obviously pretty happy with them as they don't see a need to go out and upgrade.

If I ask Apple if my comparable 3 year old iPhone 3s suffers from fragmentation their answer will be 'no' since it will show up as being capable of running iOS6...

User:  Can I run iOS6 on my iPhone 3s and be checked off as running the latest OS?

Apple:  Absolutely!  *

* You just cant run 3d flyover, turn by turn navigation, use the new maps app, panorama mode, offline reading list, location based reminders, personal wifi hotspots, facetime, airplay mirroring, nor can you use Siri- or really any new features actually added in the last few releases of software.  Your phone will run horrendously slow, and the battery life (if it still works and you haven't shelled out a few hundred backs for Apple to replace it) will be attrocious.  You will be running iOS6 though!  Enjoy!

The problem of fragmentation is a nuisance to developers, users- not so much.  If you don't like the fragmentation on your 3 year old iPhone or your 3 year old Android phone the answer is the same for either platform- buy a new one.  If you're happy with your 3 year old phone- then obviously its not an issue to you.

• Reply 11 of 113
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

hmm

• Reply 12 of 113
    Phil hurt Apple mightily with these comments. He drew terrible press on the morning TV shows by saying negative things about Samsung. As one TV commentator put it, "talk is cheap." I hope that Schiller and Apple learn their lesson from this one. If Phil doesn't have something constructive to say then he should keep his mouth shut. No one is interested in his attacks on Google, android, or Samsung. If Apple has better products then it should release them. Since Apple has not had any totally new products since the Ipad, how many years ago, Phil should be at Cupertino working, not wasting time talking to the press. The way to compete with Samsung is to COMPETE. For Apple/Phil to trash Android with talk is ridiculous. Apple should be embarrassed about what Phil said and he should be rebuked by the CEO.
  • Reply 13 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Given that the topic is Samsung/Android its more likely they approached Apple. Specifically to get thoughts about this new phone for this timing. They will likely also try to follow up with comments after the details are out. After all nothing gets page hits like a connection to Apple. 

If Schiller was smart he wouldn't have taken the bait.  I'm one who has pushed for Apple to do more PR but I think it should be on their terms.  Giving some quotes to the WJS which they can spin as Apple being on the defensive is not good PR.

• Reply 14 of 113
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Hamel View Post

As much as I'm a fan of Apple products, I have to admit that the last versions of iOS feel outdated.

Samsung is following Apple's lead on focusing on 1 major feature that has the potential to change the mobile environment.

This is assuming of course that Samsung is releasing an eye-tracking feature and that it actually works as promised. This could be a game changer in hands free interaction.

However, going back to Apple, Siri was their answer to hands free interaction with mobile devices. Even though the feature had huge potential, it ended up being an unfinished product seen as gimmicky by many. Some will argue that the feature works for them, but overall is very limited in its nature. Not to mention that the feature exists for the most part on Android.

The lesson is that you only get 1 or 2 attempts at most before people move on. So if Samsung has such a feature and it works well, they could have the upper hand on Apple in this round.

Time will tell.

You are being "blind" here. Siri needs to "learn", it's impossible otherwise. Same thing with maps.

• Reply 15 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Hamel View Post

The majority of customers are common users who prefer a familiar UI to relearning. They are also not enamored  of new tech to the point that they have to have every bell and whistle added right away. So an 'old' looking OS and lack of crazy stuff is fine with them.

but what every one needs and wants is a stable and secure OS. Androids system opens up too many possible holes and they are patched to slowly with all waiting for your carrier to add their things. Not to mention the nonsense that sometimes a phone you bought six months ago can't be updated to the new software. At least with Apple you get one, two even perhaps three OS updates even if some features aren't included.

• Reply 16 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

You are being "blind" here. Siri needs to "learn", it's impossible otherwise. Same thing with maps.

This. Especially with Siri. If they had waited until they had enough samples to perfect her it would never be released because there is no way Apple could find all the possible variations to bring in house

• Reply 17 of 113
    mars123mars123 Posts: 26member

Yea Schiller, keep bashing the competition like a crybaby. Way to stay classy. That will make Apple look better in the media right? How about making iOS better instead of being jealous and insecure? As far as I am concerned, android 2.3.6 can do everything iOS 6 can. 2.5 years old android OS is as advanced a your current iOS. 

• Reply 18 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by professorsteve View Post

Phil hurt Apple mightily with these comments. He drew terrible press on the morning TV shows by saying negative things about Samsung. As one TV commentator put it, "talk is cheap." I hope that Schiller and Apple learn their lesson from this one. If Phil doesn't have something constructive to say then he should keep his mouth shut. No one is interested in his attacks on Google, android, or Samsung. If Apple has better products then it should release them. Since Apple has not had any totally new products since the Ipad, how many years ago, Phil should be at Cupertino working, not wasting time talking to the press. The way to compete with Samsung is to COMPETE. For Apple/Phil to trash Android with talk is ridiculous. Apple should be embarrassed about what Phil said and he should be rebuked by the CEO.

Oh please.  Quit with the fake outrage.  The media was going to hype Apple/Samsung today whether Apple said anything or not.  And my guess is outside of CNBC and the tech sites on the Internet most people won't have a clue that Schiller said anything.  I'm flying today and I'll bet if I got on the plane and fellow passengers if they heard what Apple's marketing guy said about Android I'd get a bunch of blank stares.  And some would probably ask me what Android is.

• Reply 19 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mars123 View Post

Yea Schiller, keep bashing the competition like a crybaby. Way to stay classy. That will make Apple look better in the media right? How about making iOS better instead of being jealous and insecure? As far as I am concerned, android 2.3.6 can do everything iOS 6 can. 2.5 years old android OS is as advanced a your current iOS. 

Isn't there some Android fan site you should be trolling on?

• Reply 20 of 113
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

It's almost guaranteed to have Android 4.2 and not 4.1 The point of this entire article is moot.