Apple, Samsung marketing hype viewed as 'moving in opposite directions'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112

Fine, I'll bite. I'm a Samsung fan. I also admire Apple products. What do you need to know.

• Reply 22 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They outsold a single handset, Samsung sold far more phones than Apple did.

Question arises as to what is your measurement of success? If unconfirmed "sold" is your measurement, then from what analysts have predicted (not confirmed) then yes, you're probably right. If your measurement is profit share, then you are incorrect.

At the end of the day, I have to ask, unless you're investor, why do any of you care? The amount of handsets sold does not lend any credence to whether it is a good user experience, NOR does the amount of profit a company makes off a device.

Edit: I find it absolutely asinine that any analyst or investor finds "shipped" units as an acceptable measurement of unit movement. Regardless the company. Imagine someone trying to pull that ridiculous move on the show Shark Tank. They would be laughed out, yet it's ok on the bigger scale? Absolutely foolish.

• Reply 23 of 112

Meh, typical, offer to explain why people like Samsung over Apple, nobody bothers. Tis better to scream at the sky, than engage in reasonable dialogue.  

• Reply 24 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rayz wrote: »
    It's odd that you think a measure of effective marketing is how much you spend on it.

Microsoft has spent a billion on Windows8/Surface advertising, but doesn't appear to have made that much of an impact.

And even though Samsung spent more in marketing, they were still outsold by the iPhone5 AND the older iPhone4 last quarter.

You are correct but looking at it wrong. They're never going to beat Apple but they're beating the snot out of Motorola, HTC. LG, etc...
  • Reply 25 of 112
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    saarek wrote: »

And Apple has 70% of the mobile profits, so what's your point. Apple outsold all individual handsets.
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Considering Apple as Cult-Company... I dont like Apple to be this Too-Much-Advertising. But, Apple needs to be aggressive. At least it should become aggressive to stop an idiotic ripper to gain market share and spoil the industry with crap innovations like Eye-Ball-Tracking etc.

How can one of the largest companies on Earth be a "cult company"? Oh, I guess fanboys buy 10 iPhones and iPads each.
  • Reply 26 of 112
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well, I'm not really sure it's valid to include all of Samsung's handsets because Apple only sells smartphones. As it stands, they outsold all of Samsung's smartphones.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apples-old-iphone-iphone-4s-142300162.html

But as you say, they didn't outsell all of Samsung on dumb phones. Apple were also soundly beaten by Samsung's refrigerator sales, aircraft part sales, tv sets, sound equipment, car parts, processor and memory sales, robotics ....

And strangely enough, despite only having four or five core products, Apple still made more money ...

• Reply 27 of 112
    drewyboy wrote: »
    Question arises as to what is your measurement of success? If unconfirmed "sold" is your measurement, then from what analysts have predicted (not confirmed) then yes, you're probably right. If your measurement is profit share, then you are incorrect.

At the end of the day, I have to ask, unless you're investor, why do any of you care? The amount of handsets sold does not lend any credence to whether it is a good user experience, NOR does the amount of profit a company makes off a device.

Edit: I find it absolutely asinine that any analyst or investor finds "shipped" units as an acceptable measurement of unit movement. Regardless the company. Imagine someone trying to pull that ridiculous move on the show Shark Tank. They would be laughed out, yet it's ok on the bigger scale? Absolutely foolish.

It makes sense, most products aren't sold directly by the manufacturer. Retailers buy them and then sell them. I as a manufacturer can only report what I shipped (sold to retailers) but it's not my entirely my business if the retailers actually sold them.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    jungmark wrote: »
    Sammy has to pay for Hype. Apple doesn't. Apple just sends out an invitation to an event. Sammy brings out "look at me, I'm still here" tactics.

And what's wrong with that? It's been very beneficial and profitable to them.
  • Reply 29 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You are correct but looking at it wrong.

Yes, of course I am ... image

• Reply 30 of 112
    Apple doesn't resort to generating hype - they get plenty for free. How many times has Apple released teaser images or clues about upcoming devices? They don't - the tech blogs take care of it for them. For free.

How do you know it's free?
  • Reply 31 of 112
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Nothing is wrong with ads. It's all the fluff thats seems kind of pathetic. But analysts/reporters are trying to compare the two and you can't do that rationally.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    "revealing that four times as many iPhone users switched to iOS from Android than left Android for iOS."

Isn't that the same thing?
  • Reply 33 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

If the companies are simply selling to the channel then they may not know exactly how many of their phones make it into the hands of consumers.

• Reply 34 of 112

How do you know it's not? Besides it's highly unethical for journalists to be paid by companies to cover their events.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

It's corrupt, that's all. Brainwashing is another word for it. Or mass hypnosis.

Apple's advertising displays the product and what it can do for you. Samsung is trying to twist people's good sense and behavior. Big difference.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    Considering Apple as Cult-Company... I dont like Apple to be this Too-Much-Advertising. But, Apple needs to be aggressive. At least it should become aggressive to stop an idiotic ripper to gain market share and spoil the industry with crap innovations like Eye-Ball-Tracking etc.

And, yet, when Apple DOES speak out about a competitor, they're criticized as 'desperate' and 'whiny'.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Are you suggesting that Gruber, for example, is on the take from Apple?
  • Reply 38 of 112
    mars123mars123 Posts: 26member

Why would carriers keep ordering phones from Samsung if the first ordered batch is still sitting in the shelf as most of the apple fans here claim? So samsung shipped 40 million units last year when most of the ones shipped initially are still sitting and collecting dust? Stop drinking apple cool-aid and make some sense. 

• Reply 39 of 112
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

The problem with repeating that old meme is twofold:

1) Samsung continues to ship millions to stores month after month.  Retailers don't continue to buy if the units aren't selling.

2) Apple likewise reports shipments to retailers as sales.  Apple is NOT reporting the retailer's end user sales.

Because of that, sometimes Apple's reported sales numbers are boosted by over-enthusiastic retailer purchasing, just as Samsung's were that time with its initial tablets.

For example, just last year, in two separate earnings calls, Cook had to explain unexpectedly large drops in iPhone or iPad sales, by admitting that end user sell-through had been millions less than the reported sales for the previous quarter.  In other words, stores bought less because extra shipped units were still sitting unsold in their inventories.

The upshot is, shipments being more than end user sales happens to everyone at times... Apple as well...,but it's not that common for any company, and it usually works out over the long term.

• Reply 40 of 112
    mars123 wrote: »
    Why would carriers keep ordering phones from Samsung if the first ordered batch is still sitting in the shelf as most of the apple fans here claim? So samsung shipped 40 million units last year when most of the ones shipped initially are still sitting and collecting dust? Stop drinking apple cool-aid and make some sense. 
    Until we get a model by model breakdown from Sammy, well never know the truth. The fact is many cheapies are replaced relatively quickly in production. One qtr you can buy a load of Sammy SUX, the next quarter that model could be discontinued and you order a load of Sammy COP-E.