Apple, Samsung marketing hype viewed as 'moving in opposite directions'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112

Samsung claimed they shipped over 40 million galaxy S3, a specific model. why do you need model by model breakdown when it specifically says they shipped 40 million of S3 models? I am sure they didn't ship 40 million units in first quarter and most of them are sitting in the carrier warehouse. That sounds ridiculous. 

• Reply 42 of 112
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

The music and dancers are nice, but this has nothing to do with phones. It's just glitter and gloss.

No joke, real flash mobs don't all wander out together with their nicely done signs and someone clearly using a pro video camera to be sure to capture footage of the  (likely planted) folks filming the whole thing. 

A real flash mob is gritty, loud, comes out of no where and gets 'advertised' by folks posting nasty shaky video on youtube etc. 

This was an advertisement plain and simple. And we'll see how good of one when the phone goes on sale. Same with their big flashy famous venue etc

it says a lot to me that Apple's invites get days of press and analysis for something held even just on campus. They get more buzz than even perhaps a US presidential election or this week's Conclave. Sad really that this is the state of the First World that a gadget gets more buzz than electing a pope or president but there it is. 

• Reply 43 of 112

Today is the big day for Samsung.  They hype up this event to no end and now they must deliver on what they generated.  

• Reply 44 of 112
    Apple will stay on its core and that is the products speaks to itself. They are following the lead of late Steve Jobs ~focus and clarity. The world might change but what they value will stay along with innovation, education and humanities. It is not all about making money and hype people! That is why I love apple because it is just an apple!
  • Reply 45 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Of course expenditure totals aren't the whole picture, but ads cost a certain amount to make and the prices for broadcasting them don't vary much, so seeing Apple holding back while sitting on a pile of unused cash should raise questions - and in the coming months it will.

yeah questions about how Samsung etc could better spend their money. Apple doesn't waste cash on pointless advertising of this nature so they can build up money to pre purchase the entire output of a factory line and in effect block the other boys from that size screen or that particular GPU. They build up money so that they can have money for research and development, buying smaller companies that have good ideas and people but not the funding to really push in. Or even just money to weather the next financial crisis. What if the whole banking blow up from a few years ago were to hit tech companies. Who would survive and wouldn't. With Apple's money in the bank they might be the only major player in the first group. Because everyone else blew their money on advertising etc

• Reply 46 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

How can one of the largest companies on Earth be a "cult company"? 

To a degree that is true. Apple doesn't design for everyone. They don't try to make a product that fits all needs even to the point of having 200 variations of whatever. They build what they choose to build and you can either believe it in and their logic or go buy something else. So in a sense yes they are a cult company

• Reply 47 of 112
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    charlituna wrote: »
    To a degree that is true. Apple doesn't design for everyone. They don't try to make a product that fits all needs even to the point of having 200 variations of whatever. They build what they choose to build and you can either believe it in and their logic or go buy something else. So in a sense yes they are a cult company

But many companies do that. I guess when I think of cults I think the people blindly follow and buy everything the company sells. I bet Many of Apple customers buy its products because it works for them.
    mars123 wrote: »
    Samsung claimed they shipped over 40 million galaxy S3, a specific model. why do you need model by model breakdown when it specifically says they shipped 40 million of S3 models? I am sure they didn't ship 40 million units in first quarter and most of them are sitting in the carrier warehouse. That sounds ridiculous. 

I'm sure the SG3 is selling fine. I'm talking about the other 45 cheapie models Sammy ships.
  • Reply 48 of 112

the competition is between Galaxy S line and iphone. Other models dont even compete with iphone. 

• Reply 49 of 112
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As Apple's product unveilings have moved to increasingly smaller venues, rival Samsung is set to unveil its flagship Galaxy S IV at a heavily hyped event in New York City's Radio City Music Hall.

I don't get that part at all. Doesn't Apple normally do its events in the Yorba Buena Center or some other local auditorium, like their own campus? Has something changed that I don't know about?

• Reply 50 of 112
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 51 of 112
    Chocolate covered $h1t still tastes like $h1t.
  • Reply 52 of 112
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 53 of 112
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

Chocolate covered $h1t still tastes like $h1t.

Personal experience?

• Reply 54 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    charlituna wrote: »
    No joke, real flash mobs don't all wander out together with their nicely done signs and someone clearly using a pro video camera to be sure to capture footage of the  (likely planted) folks filming the whole thing. 

A real flash mob is gritty, loud, comes out of no where and gets 'advertised' by folks posting nasty shaky video on youtube etc. 

This was an advertisement plain and simple. And we'll see how good of one when the phone goes on sale. Same with their big flashy famous venue etc

it says a lot to me that Apple's invites get days of press and analysis for something held even just on campus. They get more buzz than even perhaps a US presidential election or this week's Conclave. Sad really that this is the state of the First World that a gadget gets more buzz than electing a pope or president but there it is. 

Really, calling it a flash mob is just pitiful, pathetically wrong. What is wrong with journalists that they can't get a basic concept like this right?

On your last point, the next Apple device may have more beneficial influence than the next pope, if history is any guide. Things like iPads are new platforms for advances in human knowledge, like changes in printing presses used to be. U.S. presidents can be judged on whether they use an iPad or not.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    macrulez wrote: »
    Gruber isn't paid in cash per se, but does enjoy unique benefits from Apple in consideration of his, shall we say, unique style of commentary.

Like what, a review unit that he has to give back? An invitation that he has to pay his own airfare to attend?

What are you insinuating, exactly?
  • Reply 56 of 112
    bleh1234 wrote: »
    Personal experience?

No, your sister's!
  • Reply 57 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that Gruber, for example, is on the take from Apple?

No I'm not, I believe that nobody is getting paid by anyone. There's a hypocrisy that goes on here where anyone that talks positively about Android must be paid by Google but no one comes close to the likes of Gruber, Pogue, Mossberg, and Siegler.
  • Reply 58 of 112
    vvswarup wrote: »
    I don't get that part at all. Doesn't Apple normally do its events in the Yorba Buena Center or some other local auditorium, like their own campus? Has something changed that I don't know about?

No, I don't think anything has changed. Except that I think that Phillip Elmer-DeWitt has caved in to hit pressure on the Apple-Samsung competition, and is saying things like "Apple hype."

Apple doesn't hype, Phillip. Verging into jerk territory.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    bingo1bingo1 Posts: 25member
    Glitter and gloss does not equal to quality. Do you see Ferrari running commercial on TV? Yet when you see one, you know it's a nice ride. You see countless products on "as seen on TV" and they all features 20 minutes long infomercial. Is that your idea of glitter and gloss?
  • Reply 60 of 112
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And Apple has 70% of the mobile profits, so what's your point. Apple outsold all individual handsets.

How can one of the largest companies on Earth be a "cult company"? Oh, I guess fanboys buy 10 iPhones and iPads each.

My reply was to the following remark "they were still outsold by the iPhone5 AND the older iPhone4 last quarter." to which I correctly pointed out that overall Samsung has far more handset sales than Apple.

My point was therefore correct.