Apple, Samsung marketing hype viewed as 'moving in opposite directions'

Comments

• Reply 60 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SJBMusic View Post

"switched to iOS from Android than left Android for iOS."

Ummmm... does anyone proof anything anymore? Nevermind. I know the answer. :P

The sentence is grammatically, correct. Please read it again.

Thanks, MacRulez, for being critical of absolutely anything done by AI, real or imagined, and 'thumbing-up' this comment, despite it being wrong in the first place.

• Reply 62 of 112
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 63 of 112

deleted

• Reply 64 of 112
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The sentence is grammatically, correct. Please read it again.

Thanks, MacRulez, for being critical of absolutely anything done by AI, real or imagined, and 'thumbing-up' this comment, despite it being wrong in the first place.

Actually, the sentence makes zero sense. "Switching to iOS from Android" is the exact same thing as "leaving Android for iOS." I got the meaning but the sentence doesn't make sense.

• Reply 65 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that Gruber, for example, is on the take from Apple?

Not in cash but in perks, as does Pogue and Mossberg.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    Like what, a review unit that he has to give back? An invitation that he has to pay his own airfare to attend?

What are you insinuating, exactly?

That his perks are so great and it's making him so much money that he's at a point of no return. Pogue and Mossberg will at least keep getting paid by their respective newspapers, but it would literally cost Gruber if he ever decided to write so vehemently about another company.
  • Reply 67 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No I'm not, I believe that nobody is getting paid by anyone. There's a hypocrisy that goes on here where anyone that talks positively about Android must be paid by Google but no one comes close to the likes of Gruber, Pogue, Mossberg, and Siegler.

Ok, you don't think Google or Samsung or some anti-Apple black PR outfit is paying some of the shills who post here. That's fine. I think it's possible and likely, but I can't prove it, so that's a draw.

But for you to think that Gruber et al. are in the same class as the Android or Samsung trolls providing comic relief here, that would say something about your ability to draw obvious distinctions.

The guys you mention are making a living as tech journalists. They follow Apple closely because Apple makes the most interesting stuff (to a person of some intelligence), and the Apple story is the most interesting story in recent business history.

I think in all of business history, but that's just me. Anyway, they don't need to be paid by Apple. Someone who posts here, an Apple site, for ten hours a day six days a week promoting the glorious features of Android or Samsung is highly suspect, in my opinion.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

It's odd that you think a measure of effective marketing is how much you spend on it.

Microsoft has spent a billion on Windows8/Surface advertising, but doesn't appear to have made that much of an impact.

And even though Samsung spent more in marketing, they were still outsold by the iPhone5 AND the older iPhone4 last quarter.

True, but quantity has a quality all it's own. Or some such.  Best to be prudent.

• Reply 69 of 112
    That his perks are so great and it's making him so much money that he's at a point of no return. Pogue and Mossberg will at least keep getting paid by their respective newspapers, but it would literally cost Gruber if he ever decided to write so vehemently about another company.

What fucking perks? Say it. Go ahead and make a bigger fool of youself.

By "vehemently," which is negative, you mean enthusiastically. It "would literally cost Gruber" because he would go against his integrity (see, he likes Apple and what they're doing, so he writes about them) and he would lose his audience, which thinks like him. This integrity thing you might not understand . . .
  • Reply 70 of 112
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    macrulez wrote: »
    Apple doesn't provide model-by-model breakdowns either, but somehow that's not a problem.

Because Apple has released actual numbers of how many iPhones they sold and they only have 3 models.

Gruber has criticized Apple in the past. However he hasn't lied or exaggerated or spin reports.
  • Reply 71 of 112
    Ok, you don't think Google or Samsung or some anti-Apple black PR outfit is paying some of the shills who post here. That's fine. I think it's possible and likely, but I can't prove it, so that's a draw.

But for you to think that Gruber et al. are in the same class as the Android or Samsung trolls providing comic relief here, that would say something about your ability to draw obvious distinctions.

The guys you mention are making a living as tech journalists. They follow Apple closely because Apple makes the most interesting stuff (to a person of some intelligence), and the Apple story is the most interesting story in recent business history.

I think in all of business history, but that's just me. Anyway, they don't need to be paid by Apple. Someone who posts here, an Apple site, for ten hours a day six days a week promoting the glorious features of Android or Samsung is highly suspect, in my opinion.

I'm going to make a general statement that's not aimed at anyone specifically, but one may start doing something that they're passionate about and that something in turn becomes very beneficial and profitable to them it's going to be almost impossible for that person to stop doing it. Their are athletes that hate playing whatever game they play but what's their alternative?
  • Reply 72 of 112
    jungmark wrote: »
    Because Apple has released actual numbers of how many iPhones they sold and they only have 3 models.
    Gruber has criticized Apple in the past. However he hasn't lied or exaggerated or spin reports.

Criticism is one thing but would he ever turn his back on them if something greater came along? He's 'pot committed', most if not all of his chips are in the hand he's playing.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    macrulez wrote: »

So Apple spends Big Bucks to fly Schiller to New York, and invites Gruber to a one-on-one, along with other important (to Apple) journalists. So what are you saying? Gruber is bought and paid for? That Mossburg and Pogue are in Apple's pocket? You guys are hard at work here to prove something, so I wish you'd spell it out so we could judge the quality of your enormous insight.

Gruber was also invited to a Samsung event, as I recall.
  • Reply 74 of 112
    So Apple spends Big Bucks to fly Schiller to New York, and invites Gruber to a one-on-one, along with other important (to Apple) journalists. So what are you saying? Gruber is bought and paid for? That Mossburg and Pogue are in Apple's pocket? You guys are hard at work here to prove something, so I wish you'd spell it out so we could judge the quality of your enormous insight.

Gruber was also invited to a Samsung event, as I recall.

Bought and paid for? No it's more like rewarded. It's like people that think good deeds will get them to heaven, wrong, good deeds are done to show thanks for salvation.

Gruber doesn't really bad mouth Android, being pro-Apple doesn't mean having to crap on the competition, he was even impressed with one of the Nokia Windows phones and was surprised it wasn't more popular. The worse he said about Ihnatko's article on way he switched from iOS to Android was that he was surprised Ihnatko choose the SGS 3 and not the Nexus 4.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    It is what it is. You can get some people to come over as first time buyers by bombarding them with advertising, but repeat sales will only come from quality products and good experiences, not to mention word of mouth influence. What's better, 20 million one time buyers or 10 million repeat buyers who bring their friends?

We'll see who can endure.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Criticism is one thing but would he ever turn his back on them if something greater came along? He's 'pot committed', most if not all of his chips are in the hand he's playing.

He is always talking about apps that do things better than Apple's. He's always saying that Apple isn't perfect and calling out their mistakes. But what we should recognize is that Apple rewards your interest by maintaing a certain integrity in what it's doing, one of the legacies of Jobs and his philosophy, so you aren't weighed down with self-doubt about your commitment to the kind of progress that Apple represents. Tough for the uncommited to understand, like yourself, maybe.

I'm going to make a general statement that's not aimed at anyone specifically, but one may start doing something that they're passionate about and that something in turn becomes very beneficial and profitable to them it's going to be almost impossible for that person to stop doing it. Their are athletes that hate playing whatever game they play but what's their alternative?

Except Gruber clearly loves what he's doing, riding the biggest success story of a lifetime. But he's a Yankees fan, y'know.
  • Reply 77 of 112

deleted

• Reply 78 of 112

deleted

• Reply 79 of 112
    robogobo wrote: »
    It is what it is. You can get some people to come over as first time buyers by bombarding them with advertising, but repeat sales will only come from quality products and good experiences, not to mention word of mouth influence. What's better, 20 million one time buyers or 10 million repeat buyers who bring their friends?

We'll see who can endure.

That's very true but I'll say again all Samsung is really doing is outselling Motorola, HTC, LG, Nokia, and BB, they'll gladly accept being number 2 at the expense of every other manufacturer.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    @MacRulez, no I didn't miss the first paragraph. Pogue and Mossburg also got on-on-ones. He talked about this event on one of his podcasts and I think it was then that he mentioned he scored a Samsung invitation. (Or maybe it was a Microsoft invitation, now I think about it.)

What was our point?