Apple, Samsung marketing hype viewed as 'moving in opposite directions'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 82 of 112

@ 43 seconds: Spotlight on a woman filming the event with an iPhone 5 in a green case.

• Reply 83 of 112
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They outsold a single handset, Samsung sold far more phones than Apple did.

And Apple has 70% of the mobile profits, so what's your point. Apple outsold all individual handsets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Considering Apple as Cult-Company... I dont like Apple to be this Too-Much-Advertising. But, Apple needs to be aggressive. At least it should become aggressive to stop an idiotic ripper to gain market share and spoil the industry with crap innovations like Eye-Ball-Tracking etc.

How can one of the largest companies on Earth be a "cult company"? Oh, I guess fanboys buy 10 iPhones and iPads each.

I would be interested to hear what the heck you mean by "one of the largest companies on Earth" ..

In terms of employees ... its not big

in terms of product range   .... its very small

in terms of sales of a single product   .... big in one market segment in the USA, smaller everywhere else. Very small in the majority of countries.

in terms of customers  ... its middle size

in terms of patents      .... it's dwarfed by IBM ... Samsung ... and many.

in terms of new utility patents .... small but growing

in terms of design patents   ... small

in terms of market cap      ... big but falling

in terms of money in the bank   ... probably #1

in terms of investment in R&D   .... not in the world top 10, maybe in the world top 100.

.... so where is apple the largest  ?? Market Cap is just a reflection of the gambling community. Not much really to do with Apple itself, but rather the expectation of stock profits by speculators. Am I missing something important that has to do with size ????

• Reply 84 of 112
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    taniwha wrote: »

I would be interested to hear what the heck you mean by "one of the largest companies on Earth" ..

In terms of employees ... its not big
    in terms of product range   .... its very small
    in terms of sales of a single product   .... big in one market segment in the USA, smaller everywhere else. Very small in the majority of countries.
    in terms of customers  ... its middle size
    in terms of patents      .... it's dwarfed by IBM ... Samsung ... and many.
    in terms of new utility patents .... small but growing
    in terms of design patents   ... small
    in terms of market cap      ... big but falling
    in terms of money in the bank   ... probably #1
    in terms of investment in R&D   .... not in the world top 10, maybe in the world top 100.

.... so where is apple the largest  ?? Market Cap is just a reflection of the gambling community. Not much really to do with Apple itself, but rather the expectation of stock profits by speculators. Am I missing something important that has to do with size ????

Market cap and profit. Is the latter tangible enough for you?
  • Reply 85 of 112
    macrulez wrote: »
    URL?

And no, comments like "Apple's the greatest company ever and everyone else sucks, but they could go from Almost Magical to Completely Magical Flying Ponies if only they add this one feature" don't count. :)

He has a website. Search his archives.
  • Reply 86 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

He means the only thing that anyone means when they say that. Come on.

• Reply 87 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Then let me reformulate. Gruber is pro-Apple out of his own intelligence. He's a smart guy, and he watches how the business of computing works, and has for a while. Apple is the only story in town, for any decent journalist. The few decent ones have been named, except for Dediu, Dalrymple and a few others.

You have to be a fool or a sucker to think that Samsung and Android even come close to the level of thought and attention to detail and user experience that Apple does. Yes, they have picked out some good features, and can win over a number of susceptible oafs like Wozniak and Ihnatko.

And finally, you have to be an even bigger fool to be Samsung-shilling on Apple Insider day in and day out for free.
  • Reply 88 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    He is always talking about apps that do things better than Apple's. He's always saying that Apple isn't perfect and calling out their mistakes. But what we should recognize is that Apple rewards your interest by maintaing a certain integrity in what it's doing, one of the legacies of Jobs and his philosophy, so you aren't weighed down with self-doubt about your commitment to the kind of progress that Apple represents. Tough for the uncommited to understand, like yourself, maybe.
    Except Gruber clearly loves what he's doing, riding the biggest success story of a lifetime. But he's a Yankees fan, y'know.

If he's a Yankees fan then he's ok in my book. I have seen him be critical of Apple or say something positive about the competition, I didn't deny that, I just read where he wished the Apple TV had the search ability of the Roku 3.
  • Reply 89 of 112

deleted

• Reply 90 of 112

deleted

• Reply 91 of 112
    I searched for "Unfavorable things I've said about Apple" but came up empty.

So unless you have a URL, or any guidance at all, we can assume your experiences there are the same as mine:  such things just can't really be found there.

Right there in today's posts states he wishes Apple TV had a better search tool. In addition you can find his "App store approval of the week" sections. But that's ok, laziness is a good excuse.
  • Reply 92 of 112

deleted

• Reply 93 of 112
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    kdarling wrote: »
    The problem with repeating that old meme is twofold:

1) Samsung continues to ship millions to stores month after month.  Retailers don't continue to buy if the units aren't selling.

2) <span style="line-height:1.231;">Apple likewise reports shipments to retailers as sales.  Apple is NOT reporting the retailer's end user sales.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Because of that, sometimes Apple's reported sales numbers are boosted by over-enthusiastic retailer purchasing, just as Samsung's were that time with its initial tablets.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">For example, just last year, in two separate earnings calls, Cook had to explain unexpectedly large drops in iPhone or iPad sales, by admitting that end user sell-through had been millions less than the reported sales for the previous quarter.  In other words, stores bought less because extra shipped units were still sitting unsold in their inventories.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">The upshot is, shipments being more than end user sales happens to everyone at times... Apple as well...,but it's not that common for any company, and it usually works out over the long term.</span>
    Proof?
  • Reply 94 of 112

True, today, after many lines of "Apple is run by magical ponies", he asks for a feature.  But note that even there he doesn't say anything disparaging about Apple TV at all, just a simple request for something even better.

If that's all you got, no problem.  That's all you'll find there.

Wow so to be considered critical you have to say something sucks or is the worst thing in the world. If not, youre a paid shill. Got it.
  • Reply 95 of 112
    flaneur wrote: »
    Ok, you don't think Google or Samsung or some anti-Apple black PR outfit is paying some of the shills who post here. That's fine. I think it's possible and likely, but I can't prove it, so that's a draw.

But for you to think that Gruber et al. are in the same class as the Android or Samsung trolls providing comic relief here, that would say something about your ability to draw obvious distinctions.

The guys you mention are making a living as tech journalists. They follow Apple closely because Apple makes the most interesting stuff (to a person of some intelligence), and the Apple story is the most interesting story in recent business history.

I think in all of business history, but that's just me. Anyway, they don't need to be paid by Apple. Someone who posts here, an Apple site, for ten hours a day six days a week promoting the glorious features of Android or Samsung is highly suspect, in my opinion.
    I agree. GG and KDarling are obvious paid shrills. The others are just obnoxious pricks out to annoy.
  • Reply 96 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I agree. GG and KDarling are obvious paid shrills. 

Hmm. . . Now I'm a paid "shrill". That's a first for me. I don't ever recall a complaint of being too high-pitched.. . . at least since singing alto in the church choir at 9 years old.image

• Reply 97 of 112
    gatorguy wrote: »
    LOL! Proof?
    Um, look at the posting history of you two maybe.
    You are so funny, can you not see how silly you look to others?
  • Reply 98 of 112
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Good lord, this thread gets entirely hijacked by some gratingly specious parsing of Gruber's "perks"?

The topic was Samsung's massive and lurid ad spending, as of late.  We could talk about how that makes all of Samsung's customers "sheeple" who are easily swayed by "hype", since that was always the metric for Apple. Right?  People right on these very boards who have assured us that Apple is a great marketing company but little more, seizing market share by clever promotion for the gullible?   We all remember that, right?

But instead we have several pages of vague insinuations that Apple pays (in a sense, if you squint) for play, which somehow degenerates into implying that the fact that Gruber makes money off his website and gets invited to Apple press events is enough for us to connect the dots.   Or something, since as far as I can tell no one is bothering to even try and make a coherent argument, except for the time honored Internet tradition of quibbling with wording until everyone gets tired and goes home.

So shut the hell up.  Apple certainly extends opportunities to view products to sympathetic tech journalists, and that's pretty much all the there that's there.  Gruber makes money off his site because it's popular, in the manner that anyone makes money off a popular web site.  The end. 

Now if we're done with the sinister specter of allowing people to preview your products, maybe we could talk about Samsung's status as a mafia like and state supported chaebol whose leaders are out of prison only due to the intervention of the politicians they own.

I mean, since we're so interested in "hypocrisy" and "Apple zealots", I thought it might be appropriate to pay attention to what kind of organization Samsung actually is compared to the kind of organization Apple actually is,  and consider the relative likelihood of under-the-table deals and outright graft, fraud and corruption,  given what we know about how these two companies operate. 

• Reply 99 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    hfts wrote: »
    I agree. GG and KDarling are obvious paid shrills. The others are just obnoxious pricks out to annoy.

Thank you. But I take issue. Some of the rest have to be more than just obnoxious pricks out to annoy, I think.

Many others would agree with you. Who knows?

@addabox, "massive and lurid" is the operative phrase. Describes their phones as well.
  • Reply 100 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Prediction: Samsung has been so effective at getting attention that even the most rabid AI forum members will be tuned in tonight to see what they have to announce. By this time tomorrow there will be an AI article on the new Galaxy S4 filled with at least 5 pages of comments with the regulars here well-represented.