Apple seeds pre-release build of OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday seeded a pre-release build of OS X 10.8.3, with its documentation indicating no major changes.

osx

The new update, build 12D78, is now available for testing. Individuals familiar with the build have informed AppleInsider that the release notes are largely the same as the last build, with no sign of a Gold Master build being imminent.

It comes just under two weeks after the last update, which came with no known issues and asked developers to focus on AirPlay, AirPort, Game Center, Graphics Drivers, and Safari.

AppleInsider traffic logs have already shown the presence of Macs running OS X 10.9, likely meaning that Apple will be rolling out a large OS update in the near future, even as it tweaks aspects of OS X 10.8, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion was announced more than a year ago on February 16, 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So what's in this that has taken so long?

Modern OpenGL support? 

• Reply 2 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So what's in this that has taken so long?

Modern OpenGL support? 
    Good question, maybe Intel OpenCL on GPU support. Or maybe support for the new Mac Pro. Honestly though I expect mostly bug fixes as the next major rev to Mac OS is too close.

I've learned to stay away from betas so I really don't know what is up. As for the rev you never know what developers will turn up. The important thing is stability.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    The trouble is that we are not getting any hints from anywhere that there is anything in the these builds that would justify this wait.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    How many betas is this now?

They're starting to turn into one infinite loop...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    W
    eluard wrote: »
    The trouble is that we are not getting any hints from anywhere that there is anything in the these builds that would justify this wait.
    What is it with people today? By its nature X.X.x releases are primarily focused on bug fixes, in the case of Mac OS most people aren't even aware of the bugs in the first place. Apple often rolls new machine support into such releases and other minor enhancements but the primary reason for such releases is still stabibility.

So really explain we you feel this need to have such releases detailed before they are released? Are you a member of the entitlement world?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

W

What is it with people today? By its nature X.X.x releases are primarily focused on bug fixes, in the case of Mac OS most people aren't even aware of the bugs in the first place. Apple often rolls new machine support into such releases and other minor enhancements but the primary reason for such releases is still stabibility.

So really explain we you feel this need to have such releases detailed before they are released? Are you a member of the entitlement world?

Please take your snotty internet personality elsewhere. My point was a perfectly legitimate one. If you can't answer the point like a grown-up then don't comment at all.

• Reply 7 of 10
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

A continued rollout of small bugs to deal with? It's a minor update afterall.

It's any significant lag in a 10.9 rollout that could be requiring people to "justify", not a small bug fix.

And FWIW my metric is the thing doesn't brick my computers after I hit "install" and less about when it arrives so a "measure twice, cut once" approach is a trait I appreciate. Granted were I tapping the table waiting on a bug fix that I needed fixing I'd be wanting justification on the delay. But I'm not. Shrug.

• Reply 8 of 10
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    eluard wrote: »
    A continued rollout of small bugs to deal with? It's a minor update afterall.

It's any significant lag in a 10.9 rollout that could be requiring people to "justify", not a small bug fix.

And FWIW my metric is the thing doesn't brick my computers after I hit "install" and less about when it arrives so a "measure twice, cut once" approach is a trait I appreciate. Granted were I tapping the table waiting on a bug fix that I needed fixing I'd be wanting justification on the delay. But I'm not. Shrug.

Actually some of us are experiencing some rather significant annoyances on our computers, like my rmbp, ever since 10.8 was released. This bug fix patch is taking forever, so let's assume it fixes things. We will get what, a couple of months of stable use before 10.9 comes, and then potentially have the same issue for the first 6-8 months? With a yearly cycle of OS X releases is the new norm going to be 3-4 months of stability for each release? I don't think it's unreasonable to expect these bug patches to come more quickly now, or at least release some of the bug fixes on smaller more frequent batches.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

Actually some of us are experiencing some rather significant annoyances on our computers, like my rmbp, ever since 10.8 was released. This bug fix patch is taking forever, so let's assume it fixes things. We will get what, a couple of months of stable use before 10.9 comes, and then potentially have the same issue for the first 6-8 months? With a yearly cycle of OS X releases is the new norm going to be 3-4 months of stability for each release? I don't think it's unreasonable to expect these bug patches to come more quickly now, or at least release some of the bug fixes on smaller more frequent batches.

They're constantly releasing various patches: there's one just today for that fan issue and some other stuff.

Then there's the thing that unless you purchase a new machine there's nothing mandatory about using the fresh from the box latest OS. Let the dust settle first and then upgrade. Haven't seen any instability but were I to do so I'd simply go back to the previous, stabile, OS and wait for reports the issues were fixed.

• Reply 10 of 10
    johndoe98johndoe98 Posts: 278member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    They're constantly releasing various patches: there's one just today for that fan issue and some other stuff.

Then there's the thing that unless you purchase a new machine there's nothing mandatory about using the fresh from the box latest OS. Let the dust settle first and then upgrade. Haven't seen any instability but were I to do so I'd simply go back to the previous, stabile, OS and wait for reports the issues were fixed.

That's cute and all but I bought a new machine precisely so that I can have Mountain Lion since my old machine couldn't run it. And for all you know, it might have come with 10.8 installed on it, dysfunctional as it was. Anyway 10.8.3 is out now so hopefully all is fixed, and hopefully 10.9 will be rock solid when it arrives.