Apple squashes fan control, framerate & Power Nap bugs in 15" Retina MacBook Pro update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday issued a software update for owners of its 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, fixing a number of bugs, including one that could affect system fan control.

Pro

MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update v1.1 also resolves a rare issue where users could experience slow framerates when playing graphics-intensive games on the 15-inch system. It also fixes bugs related to Power Nap and wake from sleep functions.

The 504-kilobyte update requires OS X 10.7.5 or later for Lion users, or OS X 10.8.2 or later for those running Mountain Lion.

Just last week, AppleInsider highlighted fan speed issues reported by owners of Apple's latest MacBook Pro models with Retina displays. Users found that the fan speed would unexpectedly spike, and suggested the problem may have to do with the new Sandisk solid-state drives in the systems.

Apple surprised last month when it refreshed its MacBook Pro with Retina display models with slightly faster processors and lower prices. The new models are between 3 and 5 percent faster than their predecessors, but are priced up to $200 cheaper.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Still waiting for 10.8.3...
  • Reply 2 of 24
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    "Still waiting for 10.8.3..."

Why?

Somehting in particular you need that's arriving with 10.8.3?
  • Reply 3 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MacBook Pro Retina SMC Update v1.1 also resolves a rare issue where users could experience slow framerates when playing graphics-intensive games on the 15-inch system.

I don't know about "rare", but thank god. Resetting my SMC every other day is a pain...

• Reply 4 of 24
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Why?

For starters, a Fusion Drive-aware Disk Utility would be nice.

• Reply 5 of 24
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Why?

Better WiFi, safari quits out of nowhere, audio problems.

10.8.3 fixes that.

Also, better battery life and fix slow shutdown times on SSD macs.

• Reply 6 of 24

The 2.5 second max fan spin up as this installed kind of startled me for a second, but otherwise no issues, I haven't had any of these problems anyway...but updates are always nice. 

• Reply 7 of 24
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Why?

WOL fix.
  • Reply 8 of 24

looks like .3 is out!

• Reply 9 of 24
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

YES YES YES! Finally we get the fix! This makes me very happy now. Time to start playing games with high settings again.

• Reply 10 of 24

250 mb for 2011 13" i7 air.

• Reply 11 of 24
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

YES YES YES! Finally we get the fix! This makes me very happy now. Time to start playing games with high settings again.

Well I guess I should go to the APP store and get what Rokrad's having.....*

* When Harry Met Sally deli reference.

• Reply 12 of 24
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

All installed, though the restart had to be done manually.

• Reply 13 of 24
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member

Guys, I own a 15'' retina. I don't know what version of OSX I am running, other than that its mountain loin(is that the newest cat?), but i know it doesn't have the newer updates to it. I read before I updated that this releases before 10.8.3 had issues with the video performance and processor performance.

Will 10.8.3 go on my macbook without decreasing the performance? Does it fix the issues with the earlier updates?

Thank you for the help

• Reply 14 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

From my experience OS X updates don't decrease performance. If anything, they make them faster. This isn't Microsoft Windows here...

• Reply 15 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Guys, I own a 15'' retina. I don't know what version of OSX I am running, other than that its mountain loin(is that the newest cat?), but i know it doesn't have the newer updates to it. I read before I updated that this releases before 10.8.3 had issues with the video performance and processor performance.

Will 10.8.3 go on my macbook without decreasing the performance? Does it fix the issues with the earlier updates?

Thank you for the help

These are updates that you can apply with confidence. They were a long time coming and were pretty thoroughly tested. Find what you have installed already by looking under the apple symbol (far left corner of the menu bar). Look at About this Mac.

• Reply 16 of 24

Will this update stop my rMBP from growing little legs and dancing around on my desk and emitting orgasmic sounds while I'm trying to type my homework under the influence of 'shooms??? 

• Reply 17 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Will this update stop my rMBP from growing little legs and dancing around on my desk and emitting orgasmic sounds while I'm trying to type my homework under the influence of 'shooms??? 

Yes.

They finally nailed that bug.

• Reply 18 of 24
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Psychidelic computing, classic Steve Jobs.

• Reply 19 of 24
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member

Well it seemed to fix and enhance the Mac OS X side of things, but bootcamp performance has not really improved to how it was before the EFI 1.0 update. Still getting very low frame rates as something is throttling my CPU still.

• Reply 20 of 24

"Rare" issue you say?  Yeah, "rare" in that not many people play graphically intensive games on their rMBPs I guess..  But if I am ever in Windows to play games without my power supply connected the framerate slowdown happens without fail even after reconnecting the power supply, and if it ever happens, resetting the SMC is the only thing that would fix it.