Andy Rubin leaves Google's Android team for 'new chapter' at same company

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Ask some employees at Apple, past and present (including Ive), who have accused Jobs of taking credit for their ideas. 

hmm.. stealing and taking credit is not the same. You're lost there.

• Reply 42 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

"Am I the only person who cant stand his face? This photo in particular. He always looks like a smug jerk"

Looks like a perfectly reasonable picture, so maybe it is just you.

Looks like you didn't read other posts. LOL.

• Reply 43 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Maybe you look like him yourself, so its okay for you.

Good one.

• Reply 44 of 52
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Google evicts ad-blocking software from Google Play store (ArsTechnica.com)

I wonder if that was what made Rubin step down?  Larry Page announced that Rubin is stepping down from the Android team, and by midnight the same day all of the ad blockers in the Google Play Android store get pulled.

• Reply 45 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

"But but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but open!"

• Reply 46 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Thief, Rubins! We hates it forever!!!"

Actually, calling Rubins the thief would make him Bilbo. The accuser would be Gollum, the avaricous basement dweller who lives in a permanent reality distortion field and who is manipulated by the all-seeing Eye of Sauron.  I suppose you can make of that what you will... ;)

• Reply 47 of 52
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

So let me just summarise that:

Rubin stole stuff but you reckon Jobs did as well so that's okay.

I'm suggesting objectivity is important if you want your opinion respected. Don't idolize one thief and vilify the other if "not stealing" is an important principle for you, unless you're fine being a hypocrite. :)

Quote:

Few of us actually know what happened but, thankfully, you're in the sole position of being the one that does. 

Didn't say that, but I understand the common technique here is to put words into people's mouths and then mock the person for words they didn't write. :)

Fact is, both Google and Apple (not to mention MS, HP, etc.) have some history of questionable conduct. You want to exaggerate the acts of one and pretend the other is a saint? Go for it.

Quote:

"If you have any idea of how difficult it is to build (or borrow or steal or ...) something like Android (or iOS or Linux, or ...), you would respect Rubin's accomplishment."

This comment has really got me scratching my head...

Not surprised. And I am sure many others are also mimicking your motion. Android, like iOS, is a remarkable accomplishment with significant, long lasting impact.

Quote:

Apple should be thankful that Google stole a large portion of their IP then used it to compete against them which then encouraged them to work  harder.

Same response as a couple of lines above. The part about stealing "a large portion of their IP" is both hilarious and ridiculously dishonest. What's with the high horse about IP theft and then making up stuff to bolster your arguments? Objectivity is important to some of you. You decide how important it is to you.

I respect both Google and Apple, and worship neither. Idolatry is for folks like you. My knees just don't flex as easily.

• Reply 48 of 52

Quote:

I wonder if that was what made Rubin step down?  Larry Page announced that Rubin is stepping down from the Android team, and by midnight the same day all of the ad blockers in the Google Play Android store get pulled.

Rubin had to step down. After all, Sinofsky and Forstall have all been forced out. How could Rubin achieve the same notoriety if he is the only one still holding down the job of taking care of his company's major OS?

• Reply 49 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Looks like you didn't read other posts. LOL.

How's that a reason for mockery? Everyone has to read every sentence before posting an opinion. Some have jobs, kids, ... lives. The joke is on those who read other posts.

• Reply 50 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

If Google Play ad-blocking apps end up impacting other Google Play developers who depend on revenue-sharing from those ads to monetize their efforts then Google of course made the proper call.  Ad-blockers certainly violate the developer agreement.

• Reply 51 of 52
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If Google Play ad-blocking apps end up impacting other Google Play developers who depend on revenue-sharing from those ads to monetize their efforts then Google of course made the proper call.  Ad-blockers certainly violate the developer agreement.

Then the pertinent question would be, "Why now?"  If true, why would ad blockers ever have been allowed in the Play store in the first place?

Is this part of a new monetize-or-die inquisition at the Googleplex?  You are either for ads, or you are against Google?

And does that mean the ad blockers for Chrome are next?

• Reply 52 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Then the pertinent question would be, "Why now?"  If true, why would ad blockers ever have been allowed in the Play store in the first place?

Is this part of a new monetize-or-die inquisition at the Googleplex?  You are either for ads, or you are against Google?

And does that mean the ad blockers for Chrome are next?

Ad-blockers are still available and easily installed on Android phones. Google isn't "blocking the blockers". They're just not going to be via the GooglePlay store itself.