Apple's Schiller: Samsung Galaxy S IV may 'ship with an OS that is nearly a year old'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Apple has stooped to a new low -- stock wise, strategy wise, execution wise, and leadership wise... So happens its products, design, OS, and software still rock! But Cook & Company are running the company like a committee of Steve Balmers. 

• Reply 82 of 113
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

In regards to whether iOS feels dated I also agree. Let me say that I still prefer iOS to Android but not by as wide a margin as I used to.

Anyway, here is a wish list for iOS 7.

<snip>

Yep, the majority of those are totally valid. There are a lot of really terrible UI inconsistencies to boot (Want to share multiple pictures? Well to select them, all you need to do is hit Edit (!?!?), then the arrow button - no wait, here it's a button with a text label 'Share', the share button was in another Apple app...), shake-to-undo is just bizarre, deleting items in lists is totally inconsistent (Here, you swipe to the right... But here you hit 'Edit' because that swipe won't work...), switching apps is really awfully done (and yes, thumbnails would certainly be identifiable on any iPad, and if you just had 4 per screen they'd be visible on the phone too!), and so much more...

The window/view API and multitasking paradigm are in many ways tuned to devices with next to no memory, which makes doing a really nice paradigm like the 'sheets' on Pre more challenging, particularly because every app has 1 window/view active, so showing for example your email inbox along with 2 compose 'windows' you have open is something apps today just aren't coded for. But then... Please, just change it and make it work! (And for GOD'S SAKE don't push the same crappy paradigm into OSX - compose an email while in fullscreen and that window modally blocks your inbox? Seriously? It's bad enough to have that happen on iOS, let alone on the desktop! Sorry, but I digress...)

Apple has never been about keeping everything the same. Critics have always said quite the opposite, that Apple would throw their developers under the bus if they came up with a better way to do stuff. APIs change or are discarded in order to make things better. There are many many many things they can improve in iOS at this point - devices are faster, higher resolution, and have more memory! - and it's really going to hurt Apple if they don't get moving again.

iOS was a revolution when it came out, but it needs a huge polish and advance release, and that hasn't happened for several years at this point. You can charge premium prices when you have a clearly better product. If they don't move ahead and demonstrate that they are still doing that, they're going to lose their dear profit margins and prove Wall St.'s fears right, which I'd hate to see.

• Reply 83 of 113
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    rayz wrote: »

Agreed.

Um, what "if" Schiller was right and the OS is a year old - winner! It alone immediately will get a lot of mentions today once the G4 is released. Some of you DON'T understand PR. Apple wins because they could in turn be right and torpedoes Samsungs ad campaign how old Apple is - Get it? I preface by saying that it's a gamble. If Schiller knows something we don't and got it out there as spin - then smart move.

If he's wrong --- on the other hand then... Then it's another Apple PR blunder....outside of Apple blowing the barn doors off with something amazing in iOS7
  • Reply 84 of 113
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gijoeinla wrote: »
    Um, what "if" Schiller was right and the OS is a year old - winner! It alone immediately will get a lot of mentions today once the G4 is released. Some of you DON'T understand PR. Apple wins because they could in turn be right and torpedoes Samsungs ad campaign how old Apple is - Get it? I preface by saying that it's a gamble. If Schiller knows something we don't and got it out there as spin - then smart move.

If he's wrong --- on the other hand then... Then it's another Apple PR blunder....outside of Apple blowing the barn doors off with something amazing in iOS7

That would be interesting if the rumours he mention turn out to be true but it seems odd that he would mention it more than 24 hours before the event which I think would give Samsung enough time to scramble to change how they will ship the device. Or maybe being right or getting Samsung to scramble is a win-win either way.

I personally don't think it's likely it will have a year old OS but that's just me.
  • Reply 85 of 113
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mj web wrote: »
    Apple has stooped to a new low -- stock wise, strategy wise, execution wise, and leadership wise... So happens its products, design, OS, and software still rock! But Cook & Company are running the company like a committee of Steve Balmers. 

Stop trolling.
  • Reply 86 of 113
    ngrlvrngrlvr Posts: 24member
    Schiller is scared and manipulative. Samsung "may" ship rainbow lollipops, but almost everyone accepts that won't be the case. Android 4.2.1 isn't nearly a year old, and there's an honest chance they'll ship with 4.2.2 which is quite new.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Stop trolling.

I think the point that he's trying to make here is marginally relevant enough not to be called that.

Beyond the last sentence, I don't think anything… ah, "strategy", "execution", and "leadership"… Never mind; I agree with you.

• Reply 88 of 113
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

That's a big 'if'.

Samsung lives and dies by its specs, so I'd be very surprised if they didn't stick the latest version of Android on the new model.

• Reply 89 of 113
    But the fact is many people judge things on simple things like big and small and aren't able to know their os is one year old .
  • Reply 90 of 113
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    frood wrote: »
    This does make Apple look a little desperate.  With the first new major phone in two years (iPhone 5) *and* giving away iPhone 4's for free they were able to gain 3.5% US market share.  So what do they have to counter the S IV for the next two years?  They'll likely get a minor bump from the 5s, but that will only offset the inevitable lull they get as people stop buying the iPhone 5 waiting for the 5s release.

Apple needs to come up with some new feature of their own, rather than trying to badmouth their competition- because like it or not Android phones are tremendous- especially if you value function over aesthetics.  

Apple needs new material other than the fragmentation argument.  I think that is more of a statement designed to make Apple users think they need to stay with Apple.  People with 3 year old phones running Honeycomb are obviously pretty happy with them as they don't see a need to go out and upgrade.

If I ask Apple if my comparable 3 year old iPhone 3s suffers from fragmentation their answer will be 'no' since it will show up as being capable of running iOS6...

User:  Can I run iOS6 on my iPhone 3s and be checked off as running the latest OS?
    Apple:  Absolutely!  *

* You just cant run 3d flyover, turn by turn navigation, use the new maps app, panorama mode, offline reading list, location based reminders, personal wifi hotspots, facetime, airplay mirroring, nor can you use Siri- or really any new features actually added in the last few releases of software.  Your phone will run horrendously slow, and the battery life (if it still works and you haven't shelled out a few hundred backs for Apple to replace it) will be attrocious.  You will be running iOS6 though!  Enjoy!

The problem of fragmentation is a nuisance to developers, users- not so much.  If you don't like the fragmentation on your 3 year old iPhone or your 3 year old Android phone the answer is the same for either platform- buy a new one.  If you're happy with your 3 year old phone- then obviously its not an issue to you.

Good points. As 3Gs user, I really haven't got much with updates. I can think of folders as obvious advantage I did get, but in return I have lost some performance and battery life. If I could (without jailbreaking), I'd give iOS4 another go.

In addition, considering how many people still use Win XP, Vista... and 7 will be used for years to come... for people with older hardware, who are happy with what they get from OS they are running, insisting on every OS update is really just a marketing tool.

Other thing I would consider if I were Phil, Android did evolve more than iOS from release till now, even if updates are less frequent. In situation where lots of people agree that iOS is getting a bit stale (sentiment I personally agree with), I'm finding it ironic what Phil is trying to pull out; it only enforces my opinion that one should not pay much attention to marketing and sales people.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member
    Dance monkey dance.......call it what you want schiller, you are still in the dust off Android and especially Samsung.

Sounds like that needy girlfriend you always dump
  • Reply 92 of 113
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member
    Dance monkey dance.......call it what you want schiller, you are still in the dust off Android and especially Samsung.

Sounds like that needy girlfriend you always dump
  • Reply 93 of 113
    Can't help the truth about a year old OS features a whole lot of outdated content(with it copying apple a year=1.5 years old so most users have 3 year old)
  • Reply 94 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

I don't think anything has changed at Apple, or that Schiller was being unusually critical of Android.

What has changed is the perception that Apple is "beleaguered"--   or rather, after a relatively brief period where Apple was making so much money even the lazy tech press was obliged to temporarily change their tune we have returned to their default narrative: Apple is Doomed.

So we get this "defensive" spin, we get a lot of trolls rushing here to assure us that Apple is floundering, we get general tech punditry settling into their comfortable Mac vs. PC chairs, with a simple word search updating 15 year old articles to "iOS vs. Android", etc.  

Same as it always was.  Samsung will sell a lot of phones, Apple will make a ton of money, and Apple's leadership will continue to make the products they think are best.  The idea that Schiller, or Apple, are "desperate" or "lashing out", or that any of this amounts to anything more than reliable tech click whoring is tiresome beyond belief. 

• Reply 95 of 113
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Quote:

Originally Posted by professorsteve View Post

Phil hurt Apple mightily with these comments. He drew terrible press on the morning TV shows by saying negative things about Samsung. As one TV commentator put it, "talk is cheap." I hope that Schiller and Apple learn their lesson from this one. If Phil doesn't have something constructive to say then he should keep his mouth shut. No one is interested in his attacks on Google, android, or Samsung. If Apple has better products then it should release them. Since Apple has not had any totally new products since the Ipad, how many years ago, Phil should be at Cupertino working, not wasting time talking to the press. The way to compete with Samsung is to COMPETE. For Apple/Phil to trash Android with talk is ridiculous. Apple should be embarrassed about what Phil said and he should be rebuked by the CEO.

This.

Schiller wobbled, and looks scared, and that only reflects good on Samsung. I think had he been more articulate - or had the presence of SJ - he could have used a tone that didn't come across as insecure.  I think it would be a good exercise at Apple for Schiller to re-apply for his job.

• Reply 96 of 113
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"not had any totally new products since" and what is going to be "new product" about a somewhat larger S3?

• Reply 97 of 113
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't think anything has changed at Apple, or that Schiller was being unusually critical of Android.

What has changed is the perception that Apple is "beleaguered"--   or rather, after a relatively brief period where Apple was making so much money even the lazy tech press was obliged to temporarily change their tune we have returned to their default narrative: Apple is Doomed.

So we get this "defensive" spin, we get a lot of trolls rushing here to assure us that Apple is floundering, we get general tech punditry settling into their comfortable Mac vs. PC chairs, with a simple word search updating 15 year old articles to "iOS vs. Android", etc.  

Same as it always was.  Samsung will sell a lot of phones, Apple will make a ton of money, and Apple's leadership will continue to make the products they think are best.  The idea that Schiller, or Apple, are "desperate" or "lashing out", or that any of this amounts to anything more than reliable tech click whoring is tiresome beyond belief. 

The echo chamber is sort of amazing.

The "desperation" word of the day made the rounds faster than I would have imagined. Not perhaps as fast as "no mini-USB" port but close....

• Reply 98 of 113
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member

I hope ios never looks like android to be honest. Maybe I just come from a different train of thought but I'm old school. I hope ios stays relatively the same as when it was released in 2007. I just want an os thats simple and easy to use and hopefully Apple doesn't add widgets or live wallpapers in ios7. Just stay with the simple and easy to use formula, it's sold millions already, why change it.

• Reply 99 of 113
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rayz wrote: »
    That's a big 'if'.

Samsung lives and dies by its specs, so I'd be very surprised if they didn't stick the latest version of Android on the new model.

Possibly. But in the end, the point is valid.

Very few Android phones ever have OS updates available - which is why the majority of Android phones are still running ancient versions. So even if this phone comes with the latest version (which is already 5 months old), by the time the phone is 2 years old, it will be running a 2.5 year old OS. Updates are routinely available for iPhones for years - so that's not the case with iPhones. So people who buy this phone are likely to be using it for most of its life without even the most basic security updates.
  • Reply 100 of 113
    tjrsvtjrsv Posts: 35member
    [quote name="AppleInsider" url="/t/156468/apples-schiller-samsung-galaxy-s-iv-may-ship-with-an-os-that-is-nearly-a-year-old#post_2293145"]Apple marketing chief"

What a dweeby MBA. AAPL sucks....Schiller would do better to say, "we don't have SJ anymore and are all just a buch of ball lickers anyway, why else do you thing our stock is down 40% on record profits? Sustaining that without SJ?, yea right" AAPL's executive team SUCKS!!!