Apple's 'budget' iPhone expected to have same 4-inch display as iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Contrary to some rumors suggesting Apple's low-cost iPhone will have a larger 4.5-inch display, the company's new entry-level handset will have a 4-inch display, matching the size of the iPhone 5.

The details on Apple's so-called "budget" iPhone were revealed on Friday to AppleInsider by Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a reliable track record in predicting Apple's future product plans. According to Kuo, the specs for Apple's low-cost iPhone were decided in 2011, and the company is "unlikely to abruptly change" due to a market shift toward larger screens in the 5-inch range.

iPhone 2013
Source: KGI Securities

The new, less expensive iPhone model is said to have a "super-thin plastic casing mixed with glass fiber." The material will make it stronger, thinner and lighter than typical smartphone plastic casings, Kuo said.

He expects the thickness to be between 0.4 and 0.6 millimeters, which is thinner than the average plastic casing at between 0.7 and 1 millimeter.

The phone will also reportedly come in a range of colors, much like Apple's iPod lineup. According to Kuo, there will be between four and six options, expanding from the black and white choices currently available on existing iPhone models.

KGI Securities
Source: KGI Securities

Apple is said to have contracted with Foxconn as well as Green Point of the Jabil group for its strong and thin iPhone plastic casings. Hon Hai will both build casings and assemble the phones, while Jabil is expected to provide its casings to Pegatron, which will assemble the remaining iPhones. The analyst reported earlier this week that Apple was likely to diversify manufacturers for both its low-cost and legacy iPhones.

Kuo's latest report issued on Friday was specifically issued to dispel claims made in a new Economic Daily News story that claimed Foxconn would be losing orders for Apple's low-cost iPhone. That report also erroneously indicated that the device would have a larger display than 4 inches.

The latest information from Kuo corroborates with details that were published by iLounge earlier this year. That report claimed the "budget" iPhone will feature a 5-inch display like the iPhone 5, but will also borrow some design elements from the latest iPod touch and even the legacy iPod classic, with a flat back made of plastic.

In addition to a low-cost iPhone based on the design of the iPhone 5, Kuo also expects Apple to release an updated premium "iPhone 5S" later this year. He has previously revealed that the next high-end iPhone is expected to include a fingerprint sensor under the home button that will eliminate the need to enter passwords and potentially add new functionality such as secure e-wallet transactions through Passbook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member
    Apple needs to get its ass in gear.

It's nearly April and they have not released anything so far, competitors are beating them to it, still no news on Mac Pro either, they are still advertising it on the online store but you can't buy it, bit pointless showing an item that is no longer available.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    of course it will. Apple won't want devs to support two screen sizes. It will be iPhone 4 guts (or possibly the new single core A5) in a plastic iPhone 5 body.

but i still don't think it will happen.

edit: on second thought... it will happen. When the iPhone 5s or 6 is released, they will get rid of the iPhone 4 & 4s as they still support the 30pin dock connector. They need to replace the free on contract phone with something. I don't see the iPhone 5 going that route. They will need something with higher margins than the current iPhone 4. (they will also ax the iPad 2 with the iPad refresh this year for the same reason).

4", plastic unibody, single core A5 (as in AppleTV) with 5mp camera (as in iPhone 4/iPod touch 5, iPad mini).
    possibly non-retina and non-LTE depending on how much cost that would cut.
    Priced around $350, it would add a nice $100 price margin over the current free-on-contract iPhone 4.
    Priced around $250, it would flood the prepaid market. China and India would explode.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Hopefully a mix of super-thin plastic and glass isn't as shatter prone as it sounds.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I'm beginning to believe the rumors. Especially this analyst, he's pretty credible based on past claims. I think I'll stick with the aluminum myself ;-)
  • Reply 5 of 43
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

It's nearly April and they have not released anything so far, competitors are beating them to it, still no news on Mac Pro either, they are still advertising it on the online store but you can't buy it, bit pointless showing an item that is no longer available.

I'm glad Tim Cook doesn't follow your advice.  Apple should release products when they're ready, not follow competitors schedules or just release something because a competitor is releasing something.

• Reply 6 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

When the iPhone 5s or 6 is released, they will get rid of the iPhone 4 & 4s as they still support the 30pin dock connector. 

This is a good point.  I think this single fact is the most likely reason for seeing any variation from the usual "1 new iPhone iteration every year" pattern.  Apple have shown form here with the iPad refreshes last year.

Everything else is just a mix of opinion and nonsense.

• Reply 7 of 43
    rsdofnyrsdofny Posts: 98member

I cover all my iPhone with a case.  So it really does not matter what material it uses.

• Reply 8 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

Entirely regular.

Plus, not true.  They refreshed the Apple TV.

• Reply 9 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm glad Tim Cook doesn't follow your advice.  Apple should release products when they're ready, not follow competitors schedules or just release something because a competitor is releasing something.

I have to agree... to a certain point. So far Apple has kept to a schedule and it has worked out for them.

Time will tell if it will continue to work for Apple. Waiting too long to release new products has really damaged some companies.

• Reply 10 of 43
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Apple can't win - release a new iPhone once a year and everyone complains they are not innovating. Release a new iPhone on a 6 monthly cycle and everyone complains that the phone they bought a couple of months ago has been made obsolete.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ...the company's new entry-level handset will have a 4-inch display...

Understandable; large displays on a phone are for cheapskates ¡
  • Reply 12 of 43
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    I'm old school, I think Apple should continue with what's already been proven works and release products once a year. Also I'm skeptical on a cheaper iphone model, but I do like the idea of a 4 inch screen and not a larger screened model.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    quest01 wrote: »
    I'm old school, I think Apple should continue with what's already been proven works and release products once a year. Also I'm skeptical on a cheaper iphone model, but I do like the idea of a 4 inch screen and not a larger screened model.

QFT
  • Reply 14 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I have to agree... to a certain point. So far Apple has kept to a schedule and it has worked out for them.

Time will tell if it will continue to work for Apple. Waiting too long to release new products has really damaged some companies.

But Apple just refreshed the majority of their product line last September and October.  You think they should refresh every 6 months?  Samsung didn't do that with the S4.  It will be available end of April, the S3 was available end of May.

• Reply 15 of 43

I'd be interested in seeing how well a single core A5 manages to run iOS. My 4S gets plenty of stutter as it is.

• Reply 16 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

Apple can't win - release a new iPhone once a year and everyone complains they are not innovating. Release a new iPhone on a 6 monthly cycle and everyone complains that the phone they bought a couple of months ago has been made obsolete.

I don't get this idea that Apple needs to structure their product cycles around what Samsung, HTC, etc. are doing.  So if Samsung announces a new phone Apple needs to be right behind them announcing their new phone?  

• Reply 17 of 43
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    The "budget" iPhone probably is the iPhone 5. Why would Apple change their strategy which has been so amazingly successful?
  • Reply 18 of 43

Quote:

But Apple just refreshed the majority of their product line last September and October.  You think they should refresh every 6 months?  Samsung didn't do that with the S4.  It will be available end of April, the S3 was available end of May.

You are forgetting that Samsung is always rolling out product. ie. Note and Note 2.

... and then there are its tablet introductions.

[btw... I never said anything about a 6 month refresh]

• Reply 19 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I'd be interested in seeing how well a single core A5 manages to run iOS. My 4S gets plenty of stutter as it is.

Did your 4S stutter when it was first released? No. Not a single iPhone was choppy when it was released. They get choppy with iOS updates (that's why I don't update anymore).

I wouldn't put it past Apple to insert wait states in iOS based on iPhone version as an incentive to upgrade. If the single core A5 runs a current iOS version smoothly then I know that this assumption is true.

• Reply 20 of 43
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

The iMacs were not ready. They often have delays to ramping up after announcing product.