Samsung's Galaxy S4 distracts attention away from Android

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    rsdofnyrsdofny Posts: 98member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Samsung could fork Android, and Google wouldn't have much choice but to put their apps on it, since that's the only game Google has. On the other hand, not forking Android allows Samsung to take advantage of Google as a free software development service. That's also, obviously, the advantage of Android ovr Tizen for them. And, if there's anything Samsung likes, it's having someone else do the heavy lifting for them.

What Samsung is more likely to do, especially as they continue to crush the Android competition, is use their position as the only Android game in town, and on the strength of their Galaxy brand, to dictate to Google what constitutes "Android". In effect, Google will end up losing control of Android and the OHA, and there's not much they can do about it. The one thing they could do is dump Android and try to replace it with Chrome or something else. Interesting that Andy Rubin just left the Android division.

If Google pulls the Map from Android, the platform will collapse immediately.  It can replace it with a new one if they choose to do so.  

• Reply 42 of 92
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 43 of 92
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The more megapixels you have, the larger the photo you can print. for the average person who takes a pic and uploads it to Instagram or Facebook, the most you'd need is 4mp.

Excellent point. A 5MP CCD can print upto a meter / 3 feet wide, and you wouldn't notice anything. Anything more than 5MP can be used for murals, or if you want to zoom in digitally afterwards because you accidentally filled only 5% of the photo with what was important to you. Also read the post from jragosta.
    In real size comparison between Galaxy S 4, SIII and iPhone 5, iphone looks miniature :-)

http://www.sizeall.com/compare/Apple-iPhone-5-Samsung-I9300-Galaxy-S-III-Samsung-I9500-Galaxy-S4/615

Point taken; I prefere my iPhone 4" screen over the competitors larger ones'.
    bullhead wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone would pick a crappy copy-cat cloner android phone over an iphone.

It's too big for me, but other people like a larger screen. I just hope the software works for them as well; I'm certainly happy with iOS, it's every now and then updates and added features and how it integrates with other services and hardware from Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    its norma
    aluop wrote: »
    "Early last year, Samsung launched its Galaxy Note phablet, followed by the Galaxy S3. HTC launched two One phones, LG the Optimus 4X HD and G, and Sony the Xperia S and T, along with hundreds of other lessor known Android models. So many companies are clamoring to be heard during the Apple quiet period that, ironically, it's rare for any to really make an impression."

Fact is:
    Galaxy Note was announced in Oct 2011.
    Galaxy Note II was announced in Sep 2012
    Galaxy S3 was was announced in May 2012.
    Xperia T was announced in Aug 2012.
    Xperia S was announced in Mar 2012.
    Optimus 4X HD was announced in Feb 2012.
    Optimus G was announced in Aug 2012.

I don't know which HTC phones it's referring to but the most popular release in "early last year" should be the HTC One X, which was announced in Apr 2012.

So, when is Apple's quiet period? All year long? What a useless article.
    It's normally the first 6 months for phones but it was 9 months last year because of the later release of iPhone 5
  • Reply 45 of 92
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    The s4 looks too complicated and hard to use. It has so many software features that will make the user experience troublesome. I'll admit the hardware features are impressive, 1080p screen and 13 megapixel camera but you need to be a genius to navigate this phone.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    macrulez wrote: »
    ...only in the mind of Desperate Digler.   His headlines are so stilted you can accurately guess the byline at first glance.

NEWS FLASH:  The iOS app store has more than 650,000 apps, which can only be interpreted at 650,000 features missing from iOS.

Oh....wait...

I forgot this was DoubleStandardLand.

Carry on....
    No in reality, this has become the land of Apple bashing, so this thing must be really weak to not sing the Apple is doomed song once again.
    remember it does support Google Play Apps. Their point was that they have replaced many core Android apps with their own or neglected to even mention Google services at all.
  • Reply 47 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

...only in the mind of Desperate Digler.   His headlines are so stilted you can accurately guess the byline at first glance.

NEWS FLASH:  The iOS app store has more than 650,000 apps, which can only be interpreted at 650,000 features missing from iOS.

Oh....wait...

Carry on....

Still on with your useless trolling? Android has as many Apps, so I guess that means those are features missing in Android?

• Reply 48 of 92

I like the IR blaster feature.  It would be really nice if the phone could be used as a universal remote.   It would beat the Logitech Harmony series of remotes that I've used in the past.

• Reply 49 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Google must be so happy. Soon Sammy will remove Google services and Google wont make any money. That's what you get for copying and giving away your software.
  • Reply 50 of 92
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    The best aspect of the release is Knox ("best" as in funniest). Knox doesn't really provide anything that isn't already available for Android except Knox Container which is clearly influenced by BlackBerry Balance.

The latest versions of Apple iOS and Google Android offer very good security with both solutions offering Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), Application Sandboxing, Code Signing, File System Encryption, Mobile Device Management (including Remote Wipe), Protected APIs, Secure Boot Chain.

Apple iOS has several distinct and important advantages;
    [LIST]
    [*] Background Processes are managed by an strict API guidelines and managed through admission to the App Store to prevent errant applications;
    [*] Integrated SSL, TLS and VPN support including automatic encryption for default apps such as Calendar, Mail and Safari;
    [*] No Multiple Abstraction Layers, i.e. Dalvik Virtual Machine on Linux kernel with every abstraction layer providing potential vulnerabilities;
    [*] Fewer Ports offer fewer potential vulnerabilities especially SD cards; and
    [*] Software Updates are managed exclusively by Apple allowing security updates to be developed and deployed rapidly
    [*] No Confusing app Privacy and Security Management
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 51 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Google must be so happy. Soon Sammy will remove Google services and Google wont make any money. That's what you get for copying and giving away your software.

Delusional fantasy / wishful thinking.

• Reply 52 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I think April would be a good time for Apple to release the iPhone "math"
  • Reply 53 of 92
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post

If Google pulls the Map from Android, the platform will collapse immediately.

How does that help Google? As an ad company, Google has to be on every platform they can. They don't really have any leverage at this point, and any they think they have is imaginary.

• Reply 54 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Samsung went to great lengths to tell the WSJ in an interview that there is no "friction" with Google. Which, of course, means that there is plenty of friction. Google has lost control of Android. Amazon does its own thing, and now so does Samsung. Samsung is the only OEM making any serious money from Android. They should know more than anyone else that it is dangerous to become dependent on a single manufacturer. There's a reason they are pushing their own software solutions. At some point, they want to take everything in house.

Exactly. I especially like the "Safe for work" graphic - where most of the 'safe' products are from Apple with one Samsung phone while all the other Android products are 'unsafe'. Doesn't sound like a friction-free relationship between Samsung and Google.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiusMaximus View Post

Do you even know what having more megapixels does? I sold cameras for about 5 years and have been an amateur photographer for about 10.

The more megapixels you have, the larger the photo you can print. for the average person who takes a pic and uploads it to Instagram or Facebook, the most you'd need is 4mp.

Now if you were looking to do high res printing, then by all means please tout all you want about the fact that it's 13mp.

That's all true. However, you forgot to mention the tradeoff if you're not printing large pictures - each pixel is much smaller which means less light capturing ability. So under many conditions, the picture from the 4 MP camera can be better than the picture from the 13 MP camera.

It's also worth noting that the lens has an impact. It's very difficult to pack a lens capable of giving good 13 MP images into something the size of a cell phone (although it's easier if your cell phone is the size of a small car).

...the size of a small car on it's side!

• Reply 55 of 92
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I think April would be a good time for Apple to release the iPhone "math"

Only an Apple rumor site would be able to keep up this abject nonsense of reading a plus sign as "math". image

• Reply 56 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiusMaximus View Post

Do you even know what having more megapixels does? I sold cameras for about 5 years and have been an amateur photographer for about 10.

Now if you were looking to do high res printing, then by all means please tout all you want about the fact that it's 13mp.

The HTC sensor has much larger pixels, which give better results in low light with less processing in software required to remove noise.

Phones do not really have enough room to warrant so many pixels, the sensor in a DSLR is many times larger.

Unfortunately for some, numbers are the only things that matter.

• Reply 57 of 92
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Well, that meandering nonsense article accomplished advertising exposure on the comments forum at least...
  • Reply 58 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    macrulez wrote: »

Oh....wait...

Carry on....

And another full day on the job for McShill MacRulez. You, calling DED desperate . . .

At least he can be open about who he works for.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 60 of 92

Quote:

In showing off the new Galaxy S 4, Samsung didn't draw attention to Google's search, mapping or translations services, nor even its ability to download Google Play content. It didn't feature Android apps. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

I like this game. So whenever company or a representative from a company says x, the opposite is in fact true?

Does this same logic apply to Apple and Tim cook when he says we shouldn't take notice of dwindling orders from component suppliers and the real truth is things are bad for the iPhone? When he says things are a sideshow they in fact aren't?

I'm guessing no.

We either listen to and trust what these high level executives are saying or its all bull. Which is it and does it only apply to specific companies? Perhaps only your personal biases matter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, but if a reporter is asking about "friction", it's likely because he knows through sources that there is "friction", it's not just a random question thrown out. The fact that a company representative finds himself in a position of having to confirm or deny the existence of "friction" is very likely an indicator that the "friction" exists.

As for "dwindling orders" from component suppliers, we take those with a healthy dose of salt because, as DED likes to write, this all happened before, and the "dwindling orders" rumors turned out to be false or of no consequence.

In other words, the game is, to steal a line from Newsroom, to apply logic and reason and see where that takes us. 

Applying reason and logic, it's appropriate to say that "Where there's smoke, there's fire".

And for me, the tell-tale black billowing cloud was the downplaying of evidently superior software like Google Now in favour of S-Voice and other lesser Samsung offerings. Now that's revealing...

There's trouble brewing in Android Paradise...