Samsung challenges Apple's iPhone with new Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 201 of 314
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Octo-core processor? LOL Just make it last all day while having a fluid experience. Does Android OS even have optimizations for 8 cores at this point?

I think S-Health is interesting but I don't see it as being that good. I hope I'm wrong and that Apple has something much better on the horizon but I think it's doubtful.

I think it will outsell the S III.

The processor Samsung is using incorporates ARM's  big.LITTLE tech, in that it has four A15 cores and four A7 cores.  Does this mean you don't think ARM are correct in the power saving potential they claim?

• Reply 202 of 314
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

OMFG yes, I want to experience life without boundaries or limitations. I want a frikken plastic phone.

• Reply 203 of 314
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Man leaves laptop behind in taxi.

Man gmail a friends this fact.

Man gets ads targeting him with purchase a laptop.

Man gets angry.

Man gmail a friend that he will get a lawyer because google is reading his private emails.

Man now gets targeted with ads for lawyers.

I wrote it in a simple fashion so you can understand.

This is fact, do not ask for citations, you get none for me as you are obnoxious

Now do you understand why people are/should be concerned about privacy when using google stuff

I see AI's Mr Angry is in full flow today.

How does anything you wrote prove that Google sold an email address?  If, as you state, its so simple, surely even you can see that no email address was sold in your scenario.  If you can't see that, may I suggest you walk away from the internet.

I'm not even going to bother to try and explain how Google ads work because you know full well how they work and that what you're writing is BS.  Its been explained many times to you and others so stop spouting nonsense.

• Reply 204 of 314
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

5 out of 12 of their most popular phones got updates in their lifetime.

(Incorrect)

Keep in mind what they are calling an update Apple does several times throughout the year.  They are point updates.  The major updates like Apple does every year are rarely extended to the older phones.

(Incorrect)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/the-checkered-slow-history-of-android-handset-updates/

I'm going to assume you accidentally misquoted the article you linked.

EVERY Samsung handset in their survey, not just 5, received at least one full-version upgrade. 5 of the 12 had received two full updates thru Dec of last year.

Your linked article:

"Samsung as a whole works harder at keeping its phones current. Five of the 12 phones we studied received two updates during their lifetimes (and some, like the Galaxy S III, are not new enough for a second update to be on the table yet)."

Also counter to what you wrote, Ars did not include the minor updates/bugfixes like Apple does a couple times a year between upgrades.

Your linked article:

"Note that we define "update" as a major point release of Android—2.2 Froyo, 2.3 Gingerbread, 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. More minor updates or firmware releases are not accounted for here."

You should read more carefully before posting to avoid misinforming other readers.

• Reply 205 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

I try to avoid Google at all cost because I even noticed that if you search for something obscure through them, you will start getting emails about that subject.  I don't use Gmail so I find that unsettling that they are tracking me close enough to know my email address to share with their advertisers.  

Your ISP tracks you and knows your email addy. Your phones service provider tracks you and know your email addy. Your home network provider tracks you and knows your email addy. Even AI tracks you and knows your email addy. Yet if you get an email from someone spamming you on something you discussed or searched you're convinced it had to come from Google, the only one of those five who's business interest would not be served by selling user data. Makes sense to meimage

• Reply 206 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

This looks like they should have called it the Note III.  It's a 5 inch screen.  This is phablet class.

Yeah, I agree Apple needs to step it up, but I don't know if 5 inch phones are going to sell well.  They only sold around 10 to 15 million 5 inch phones so far that I'm aware of.

I believe the phone is almost the exact same size.  Height is the same. It might be .03 wider.

The screen is just larger.  

• Reply 207 of 314
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    genovelle wrote: »
    They are just stupid then. One has nothing to do with the other. I guess you say there are no cyber criminals trying to access your banking info.  Having a phone that is worse secure than Windows ever was is not good, because most  people actually do online banking now when it was rare during the XP days.  I try to avoid Google at all cost because I even noticed that if you search for something obscure through them, you will start getting emails about that subject.  I don't use Gmail so I find that unsettling that they are tracking me close enough to know my email address to share with their advertisers.  

If you don't know by now that people are stupid then just maybe you're one of them. Yes Android is less safe than iOS but it doesn't make it unsafe. Hackers are lurking around every corner and they have bigger fish to fry than to get my lil ol' bank account. Btw you don't find it unsettling that here on AI you'll get advertisements from searches you've done on Amazon?
  • Reply 208 of 314
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    freerange wrote: »
    I watched part of the launch live and it was all I could do to keep from throwing up - it has to be the most obnoxious, cheesiest and ridiculous presentations I've ever seen. Embarrassingly so.

But you have to keep in mind that the target audience is people who would consider buying a Samsung Android phone. That means that, by definition, they have no taste.
    Google has been caught and paid fines for snooping on iOS, capturing all unencrypted RF signals while driving by for street view [that's the latest WIFI bust] and people are asking whether or not Google indexing your IMAP Gmail accounts and all your inter-Google ecosystem points of access?

We have a lot of morons on AI to think they don't. Their algorithms for machine learning and AI are tailored and pilot tested doing just that. You get free services and they get to pour through your content.

I'm not sure they're all morons. I still believe some of them are paid shills.
  • Reply 209 of 314
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    But you have to keep in mind that the target audience is people who would consider buying a Samsung Android phone. That means that, by definition, they have no taste.

Doesn't everyone else in your family except for you have a Android phone?

Do you really believe Google is paying people to come on this site that has what 250-300 readers at any given time to bad mouth Apple? I think you're much more intelligent than that.
  • Reply 210 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

(Google) algorithms for machine learning and AI are tailored and pilot tested doing just that. You get free services and they get to pour through your content.

... to help companies like General Motors, Toyota, AT&T, Apple, HP, Nest, and millions of small business more effectively use their advertising dollars, and making a few dollars for themselves too in the process. Plainly evil isn't it? Seeing an ad can be scary.

• Reply 211 of 314
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I have long suspected this is true but it also seems this would make some tech journalist famous if he/she were able to prove it and tie it to Google or Samsung. Of the big so-called Apple centric sites I visit on a regular basis (AppleInsider, MacNN, MacRumors, MacWorld, for example) it seems the Samsung/Android fans outnumber the Apple/iOS fans at times. Is this phenomenon a result of insecurity issues or a coordinated effort?

So if there are shills out there, paid to join sites like AppleInsider and spread FUD, why haven't we seen any investigative reports about it? It would seem that something like that couldn't be kept quiet for very long. Also, if the company doing it got caught red handed it would be a major blow to their credibility and reputation. Is attacking Apple worth that kind of risk?

• Reply 212 of 314
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 213 of 314
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 214 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So if there are shills out there, paid to join sites like AppleInsider and spread FUD, why haven't we seen any investigative reports about it? It would seem that something like that couldn't be kept quiet for very long. 

It's just a way for certain specific members to dismiss other members when they don't have any other argument against what was posted. Both shill and troll should have their own hotkeys to save them from having to be typed in several times a day.

• Reply 215 of 314
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In this case, yes you can. A few phones beat the s4 ON EVERY METRIC.

Which ones? The WSJ article you had posted does not say this.

• Reply 216 of 314
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ships with 4.2.2. Nailed it!

No word on pricing but ships next quarter which is 0.5 to 3.5 months from now. I'm wager toward the end of the end.

I'm not sure why one needs to see the front back of the cameras at the same time but not being a camera guy I'm too disinterested to conceive how that could be of value to users.

The display is too big for me but I don't think Apple is against a larger iPhone at 4.9x". I do question the choice of PenTile but at 441 ppi it's on par with the iPhone's actual pixel density, but my concern is colour accuracy which has never looked good to me with PenTile. Perhaps the pixel density is now high enough to correct that issue.

Octo-core processor? LOL Just make it last all day while having a fluid experience. Does Android OS even have optimizations for 8 cores at this point?

I think S-Health is interesting but I don't see it as being that good. I hope I'm wrong and that Apple has something much better on the horizon but I think it's doubtful.

I think it will outsell the S III.

It is supposed to sell at the end of April, so 1.5 months, not 0.5 not 3.5. The eight cores might be (I am guessing) unequal cores (four big/for little), which means that they actually help the power consumption. The articles all explain why you would want to use both cameras -- so that you can have your own face in an inset explaining what the rear camera is using. A 4.9" display has obvious plusses and minuses (I note that since this is 16 by 9, this is not THAT huge, and corresponds to about a 4.5" 4x3 display).

• Reply 217 of 314

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevochan View Post

It's inevitable that Samsung will surpass iPhone sales in the US for good (not just around release).  The iPhone is no longer the cool because everyone's moms and dads have them.  Also, Justin Long, the artsy guy or coffee baristas with iPhone are also no longer cool.  

Samsung has Lebron James, etc....

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung has cheap phones, which make up the bulk of their sales, just like Nokia used to have.

I'm not talking about the flood of other android phones.

I'm talking about S4 vs the iPhone 5 (or the next iPhone).  When you see everyone's parent in a minivan/SUV with an iPhone, that's just not cool.  I see some suit with an iPhone on the subway, that's also not cool.  Regardless of what you think about the software/hardware aspect of Galaxy vs iPhone, iPhone is definitely losing on the intangibles.  The iPhone no longer is that "it" phone.  Nothing cool about being seen with an iPhone when also that soccer mom in the grocery line is flipping thru pinterest on the iPhone.

The S3 and S4 are the "it" products.

• Reply 218 of 314

Original:

It's inevitable that Samsung will surpass iPhone sales in the US for good (not just around release).  The iPhone is no longer the cool because everyone's moms and dads have them.  Also, Justin Long, the artsy guy or coffee baristas with iPhone are also no longer cool.  

Samsung has Lebron James, etc....

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung has cheap phones, which make up the bulk of their sales, just like Nokia used to have.

I'm not talking about the flood of other android phones.

I'm talking about S4 vs the iPhone 5 (or the next iPhone).  When you see everyone's parent in a minivan/SUV with an iPhone, that's just not cool.  I see some suit with an iPhone on the subway, that's also not cool.  Regardless of what you think about the software/hardware aspect of Galaxy vs iPhone, iPhone is definitely losing on the intangibles.  The iPhone no longer is that "it" phone.  Nothing cool about being seen with an iPhone when also that soccer mom in the grocery line is flipping thru pinterest on the iPhone.

The S3 and S4 are the "it" products.

• Reply 219 of 314
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

There's such a thing as a second hand. Just saying. In fact, iPhone users have been seen pulling it out of their pants from time to time. Thus one hand thing is classic Apple marketing. And you're classic victim by repeating the myth.

I don't have a mythical hand, I use my phone one handed all the time, while eating a sandwich for example.

So what Samsung bullshit are you a classic victim of?

They spend a lot of money on hype, so there's a lot of it.

• Reply 220 of 314
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

It's got 8 cores! It's got 8 cores! It's got 8 cores!

...apart from the ones which have only 4,

cores that is

black gold

texas tea

now the first thing you know old Jed's a millionaire...