Samsung's new CEO reveals 'lackluster demand' for Windows products

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On the evening that his company unveiled the follow-up to its best-selling Android smartphone, Samsung's new CEO spoke some harsh truths about the prospects of another of Samsung's software partners, saying demand for Microsoft products in the mobile sector is "lackluster."

iMacs

J.K. Shin, Samsung's 57-year-old CEO, made the remarks in the course of an interview with The Wall Street Journal. Shin's comments on Windows came as he discussed the company's relationship to Android, the Google operating system that powers Samsung's Galaxy S 4 handset.

"Smartphones and tablets based on Microsoft's Windows operating system aren't selling very well," Shin said. "There is a preference in the market for Android. In Europe, we're also seeing lackluster demand for Windows-based products."

Shin's remarks, in the context of the interview, seem to preclude the possibility that the South Korean conglomerate may begin working more closely with Microsoft on Windows devices. Samsung makes a number of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices, as well as tablets running ARM-based Windows RT. Recent reports, though, have Samsung discontinuing sales of its Windows RT devices in Germany; this after confirming in January that it would not launch Windows RT devices in the United States.

Shin's remarks likely will not gain him any friends within Microsoft, which has been struggling since a weak Windows 8 launch to generate buzz around its latest operating system. The company's most recent quarterly results show the difficulty of Microsoft's situation. The PCs Microsoft's manufacturing partners make simply are not selling, as customers increasingly opt for smartphones and tablets instead.

Microsoft has begun offering price breaks on Windows and Office offerings in an effort to grow market share. Projections for the tablet market, though, see Windows devices only reaching about 10 percent share over the next 4 years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Wow...it reminds me of the story told to James Bond by Silva in Skyfall...you put all the rats in a barrel and starve them...soon they begin each other until there are only 2 left. You turn those 2 loose but now, they only eat other rats...

• Reply 2 of 45
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    Well put.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    How does this correlate with the claims that people only buy Samsung phones because they are Samsungs, and not because they run Android?

Why aren't the Samsung WP8 phones selling?
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Dirty Samsung. It is a kind of monopoly in Silicon chips. So, it makes these kind of cheap comments. Junkk.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    When I think about the Surface I always go back to the unveiling of the device when the thing Froze and it had to be switched to another one. That was so sad and yet almost expected since it was a Microsoft device.

Microsoft is reaping what it sowed. They made Vista and gave it to the public. Windows 7 was better but it still had the inherent flaws of the Windows OS. Windows 8 is confusing to some people.

When competing brands of cell phones run better than a desktop computer running Windows, expect defections. People see more options and are realizing that there are better things out there than Windows. Windows is surviving only because so many people just haven't tried anything else.

The iPad would put away Windows forever if it just had a good file system and an SD card reader. It would become a computer replacement and Microsoft would have to become a gaming device maker instead of a computer manufacturer. Windows would fade away quickly as the iPads and Macs would take over.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

How does this correlate with the claims that people only buy Samsung phones because they are Samsungs, and not because they run Android?

Why aren't the Samsung WP8 phones selling?

Because we don't have super cheap Windows phone from Samsung? Another reason is I don't think people 'asking for' Windows on the phone. The word "Windows" make a phone seems complicated and scary.

• Reply 7 of 45
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The iPad would put away Windows forever if it just had a good file system and an SD card reader. It would become a computer replacement and Microsoft would have to become a gaming device maker instead of a computer manufacturer. Windows would fade away quickly as the iPads and Macs would take over.

Past failed TabletPC attempt and the current Surface RT is the proof that SD reader and a file system are bags of hurts on touch oriented devices. 

• Reply 8 of 45
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 9 of 45

oh gosh, I'm on APPLEinsider... I thought I was samgsider.com. Only thing that made me realize i was here was the AI logo in top left.

• Reply 10 of 45

My guess is Google will lose control of Android to Samsung. It don't see any other Android company able to innovate with Android like Samsung. What will this mean for Android as a whole?  Samsung might simply permanently branch Android off into their own OS, give a different name perhaps, with Google's Android withering away along with Windows 8. 

• Reply 11 of 45
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Microsoft's entire mobile, Post-PC effort, starting from October 2010 (release of windows phone) has been a disaster. Their entire program as it stands is a non-starter. And it's been over three years already. 

• Reply 12 of 45
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Dirty Samsung. It is a kind of monopoly in Silicon chips. So, it makes these kind of cheap comments. Junkk.

Seems Samsung understands that consumers don't care about Microsoft's "me too" Post-PC products. 

That's a big problem, for Microsoft, not Samsung. 

• Reply 13 of 45

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Dirty Samsung. It is a kind of monopoly in Silicon chips. So, it makes these kind of cheap comments.

What is it you find so attractive in Windows 8?

If I tell something bad about Samsung, that does not mean that I like something about Windows 8.  

I hate the way Samsung treats partners.  Yesterday it did not even mention its partners - Google. And, not a single mention of Android.

• Reply 14 of 45

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Seems Samsung understands that consumers don't care about Microsoft's "me too" Post-PC products. 

That's a big problem, for Microsoft, not Samsung. 

Yes. Samsung is a threat to which ever it is in partnership with.  It now shaving the windows head.

It is developing Tizen.  I cant wait Samsung to Ditch Google leaving Android and fully develop an entire ecosystem of Tizen.  It is going to happen.

Yesterday it mentioned about their own App store kinda stuff.  

Samsung is dangerous. 

• Reply 15 of 45
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

My guess is Google will lose control of Android to Samsung. It don't see any other Android company able to innovate with Android like Samsung. What will this mean for Android as a whole?  Samsung might simply permanently branch Android off into their own OS, give a different name perhaps, with Google's Android withering away along with Windows 8. 

ROFL!  Samesung innovate?  you mean shamelessly copy and steal from Apple?  Samesung would be nothing without copying Apples innovation.

• Reply 16 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Exactly. Google is so stupid to give away Android for free. Sammy will fork it and remove Google services in favor of its own crapware. Google will then be marginalized when the top two smartphone vendors won't use any google services.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Not suprised in the least Windows is a total failure.  The UI is an abomination...totally unusable.  And the cost...LOL.  IF the Windows cloner machines were sub $100 they might sell. 

• Reply 18 of 45
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 19 of 45
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly. Google is so stupid to give away Android for free. Sammy will fork it and remove Google services in favor of its own crapware. Google will then be marginalized when the top two smartphone vendors won't use any google services.

Thus the real reason Google bought Motorola.  They saw it coming and hedged their bets, I'm guessing.

• Reply 20 of 45
    macartmacart Posts: 78member
    Who Cares What "Dirty Shin" Says About Anything! And this is Apple News How? Is This Now Samscum-Insider! Done with Appleinsider!