Breathometer combines breathalyzer with Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Breathometer, Inc. today kicked off the crowdfunding campaign for the Breathometer, an accessory that plugs into Apple's iPhone and lets users know if they or someone else has had one too many to drink.

The Breathometer, which is the size of a typical car key, plugs into the headphone jack of a smartphone and, in combination with a mobile app, measures a user's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) when they breath into it. The device fits into a user's pocket or attaches to a keychain, making it easily portable for regular use.

The Breathometer app will also allow users to track their activity in order to ensure their BAC is going down. Also, it will track past results in order to allow for the proper amount of time before getting behind the wheel. The Breathometer will get additional features as time goes on, including the option to call a cab by pushing a button.

"Breathometer wasn?t created just to address the risks associated with drinking and driving, but to help people, their friends and family, all to make smart and safer choices when consuming alcohol," said Charles Michael Yim, Breathometer's founder and CEO. "Real time BAC measurement is the first step."

In addition to an iPhone application available on Apple's App Store, Breathometer will also be compatible with Android devices via corresponding Google Play software. The accessory is expected by the company to be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and it is patent pending.

Breathometer, Inc., has launched an Indiegogo campaign for the device, with 32 days left in its funding. Supporters donating $20 or above will get a Breathometer unit at the latest by January 2014, with delivery time improving as the donation scales up. The device is scheduled to begin shipping in the summer of 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Won't that be pulled from the App Store, just like last time when there was a speed camera app? I certainly wouldn't want to rely on tech for such basic knowledge if I had too much to be driving. I drink and take a cab. Or walk, or cycle. But never going to 'see at what level I am'. What if it's faulty?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I assume there will be a disclaimer that you have to "agree" to accept, in order to use the software, which will state there are no warranties, including "fitness for a particular purpose", which essentially means that the results aren't to be relied on... which means it's "for entertainment purposes only" and otherwise useless ... like most software (I've yet to see any warranty on software since prior to 1985).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

As an add-on feature, you can add a switch to your car's starter which will disable if you fail.  However, Siri will then chime in and offer to sing drinkin' songs with you.

• Reply 4 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Funny, for my final project in my iOS Dev class at OIT, I did a sober test app. Glad to see someone took it to the next level.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Stupid. I have a $50 Breathalyzer just for kicks. It's compact and seems to be fairly accurate. No reason to plug a dongle into my phone.
  • Reply 6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Stupid. I have a $50 Breathalyzer just for kicks. It's compact and seems to be fairly accurate. No reason to plug a dongle into my phone.

Yes- everything you don't like is stupid. How old are you, 14?

• Reply 7 of 8
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Maybe this product keeps track of your testing and provides other functionality your $50 breathalyzer doesn't.  Fairly accurate?   How do you know?  did you compare it do having your blood tested at the exact same time using a medical grade blood alcohol testing equipment/process?  That's the only way to actually know the accuracy level.

Breathalyzers that are $50 probably are not as accurate as the Police grade models, those are several HUNDRED dollars and there's usually a reason for it.

• Reply 8 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Won't that be pulled from the App Store, just like last time when there was a speed camera app? I certainly wouldn't want to rely on tech for such basic knowledge if I had too much to be driving. I drink and take a cab. Or walk, or cycle. But never going to 'see at what level I am'. What if it's faulty?

I would guess that Apple pulled the speed camera app because its explicit aim was to allow you to speed without getting ticketed.  A breathalyzer app is sort of the opposite (since knowing your blood alcohol levels isn't somehow a free pass to drink and drive) , and as dysamoria suggests will probably have a user agreement that waives any liability ("for entertainment purposes only" or the like).

In general I think something like this might be handy for the small overlap in the Ven diagram of "people who drink while intending to drive" and "people who are responsible enough to check their alcohol levels before doing so", but in general I don't think someone who hits a bar and then gets behind the wheel is terribly concerned with doing the right thing, by definition.