Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Comments

• Reply 121 of 230
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's optimal and yet very few smartphones selling today have a 5" display. Even the popular S III doesn't have a 5" display. So how is something so optimal so underutilized in the smartphone market?

Stop that, really. Every single high end handset is now larger than 4.7 inches.

See how many of them are sold... as much as iPhones? Even if it's half, it's a huge market! People willing to spend money.

I would love that device.

• Reply 122 of 230
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

FWIW: ARM A15 optimization code just landed in LLVM/Clang.

• Reply 123 of 230
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    "LOL at the "Galaxy S3S."

I wonder why Samsung didn't copy Apple's naming scheme too."

They DID! They took Apple's 4S and switched the letter and number for their Galaxy S4!!!
  • Reply 124 of 230
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

See how many of them are sold... as much as iPhones? Even if it's half, it's a huge market! People willing to spend money.

Pedro, some people here are either willfully blind or just cannot comprehend that a huge number of iPhone owners are desperate for Apple to release a larger iPhone. I was in Europe and Asia recently and you see the Note II literally everywhere. But we will have the last laugh because Apple will definitely release our dream phone soon. It may not be this year as I hope, but certainly by next year. And these same people will almost overnight develop amnesia and forget all their reasons why Apple will never release one. 

• Reply 125 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Stop being objective and factual? **** no! "Every single high end handset is now larger than 4.7 inches" is neither an accurate statement about the state of the high end handset market nor is the same as saying that 5" is optimal. If you have an actual case to make that would suggest that 4" is too small and less than ideal than a 5" smartphone then make it but don't make up shit or you'll get your ass handed to you.
  • Reply 126 of 230
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

.... I was in Europe and Asia recently and you see the Note II literally everywhere..... 

You apparently have a Note II strapped to your head, which can be dangerous.  You might consider waiting for Google Glass.

• Reply 127 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

If you'd ever used the Android SDK you'd know that dealing with multiple resolutions is pretty damn easy.  

And all logos, UI elements, etc..., should be in vector graphics anyway, so scaling should be trivial...  

I've used it and you're grossly oversimplifying things. Android is a fragmented mess to code for. Being able to target different resolutions doesn't magically make an App look perfect on all devices - it merely makes it compatible.

• Reply 128 of 230
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And it's not just about the total number of pixels, as accuracy is also an important factor to take into consideration, and those pentile/amoled screens have horrible color accuracy.

Interesting, so that's why the Samsung S3 screen quality looks much poorer than my iPhone 4.

I have very good unassisted vision, so the larger screens do nohing for me. But I do appreciate those with not so good close vision like a larger screen.

• Reply 129 of 230
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    OMG, analyst don't see the S4 as a threat to Apple's iPhone5. Based on how accurate all these analysts have been in the past Apple should now be worried.
  • Reply 130 of 230
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvoros View Post

Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen. This is the optimum size for smartphones and next fall, 2014, we will all have to watch Phil Schiller eat his shorts when he announces the iPhone 6 with a 5 inch screen. If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.

You joined AI today just to post this? 

• Reply 131 of 230
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

"LOL at the "Galaxy S3S." I wonder why Samsung didn't copy Apple's naming scheme too." They DID! They took Apple's 4S and switched the letter and number for their Galaxy S4!!!

Does any one know the meaning of the letter s in Samsung Galaxy phone?

• Reply 132 of 230
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Does any one know the meaning of the letter s in Samsung Galaxy phone?

"Samsung"?  They seem to like to use that S prefix for stuff, so I imagine it's their version of Apple's "i".  Got to have a version of everything Apple does, after all.

• Reply 133 of 230
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Cheap, plastic, over-hyped c-r-a-p.

I'll spend a bit more for an iPhone, and will get way more than I pay for, relatively speaking, in quality, performance, lifespan and overall value. The build quality alone is worth the difference in price.

The rest of the Android market is in big trouble though. I don't see any potential high-volume competitors, except perhaps HTC, with their "One" offering, and they don't have the same high-profile sales momentum. If anyone is a "Samsung killer" though, it's them.

• Reply 134 of 230
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Cheap, plastic, over-hyped c-r-a-p.

I'll spend a bit more for an iPhone, and will get way more than I pay for, relatively speaking, in quality, performance, lifespan and overall value. The build quality alone is worth the difference in price.

The rest of the Android market is in big trouble though. I don't see any potential high-volume competitors, except perhaps HTC, with their "One" offering, and they don't have the same high-profile sales momentum. If anyone is a "Samsung killer" though, it's them.

I agree, in a perfect world HTC would eat Samsung's lunch and snacks but unfortunately HTC doesn't have the cash to out advertise Samsung.
  • Reply 135 of 230
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Where did you get that idea? You walk into an Apple Store and you get a new phone. It's pretty fucking simple, but consider the chances that you have a bad battery because doing 1000 full charges that keep the device from being 80% of the original mAh within 365 days is highly unlikely.

There is no Apple store where I live (Princeton NJ), so while it might be fucking simple, it takes a couple of fucking hours out of my fucking day. As for 1000 full charges, I never said anything about that, but merely that my battery is not working well. Are you suggesting all the batteries are perfect?

• Reply 136 of 230
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Interesting, so that's why the Samsung S3 screen quality looks much poorer than my iPhone 4.

I have very good unassisted vision, so the larger screens do nohing for me. But I do appreciate those with not so good close vision like a larger screen.

Have you ever tried watching a video on a larger screen. It is a MUCH better experience, no matter how good your vision is (and by the way, some of us with imperfect vision have what they call "glasses" (no, not the google kind), which do a pretty good job.

• Reply 137 of 230
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Where did you get that idea? You walk into an Apple Store and you get a new phone. It's pretty fucking simple, but consider the chances that you have a bad battery because doing 1000 full charges that keep the device from being 80% of the original mAh within 365 days is highly unlikely.

It's pretentious of you to say "walk into an Apple store" when a great many people do not live near one.
  • Reply 138 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's pretentious of you to say "walk into an Apple store" when a great many people do not live near one.

Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed? I think the word you are looking for is shortsighted, of which I will admit to as my comment did assume fairly easy access to an Apple Store.
  • Reply 139 of 230
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Really? http://www.mobilephones.xal.me
    The number one phone in the world has a 4" screen.
    #4 has a 4.5" screen.
    So the #1 and #4 phones are both under 4.7". Are you sure you want to say that every single high end handset is larger than 4.7"

igriv wrote: »
    There is no Apple store where I live (Princeton NJ), so while it might be fucking simple, it takes a couple of fucking hours out of my fucking day. As for 1000 full charges, I never said anything about that, but merely that my battery is not working well. Are you suggesting all the batteries are perfect?

No. He's suggesting that you have a defective battery which will be covered under warranty. If you're not close to an Apple Store, contact Apple's support number to ask them how to go about getting the unit repaired.
  • Reply 140 of 230
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Apple is slipping at the moment - getting complacent with its success. It's UI has not fundamentally changed much since 2007. iPhone 5 was not much more than a stretched out 4s

Samsung will most likely sell more S4 than iPhone.