Apple's short-lived retail chief says he 'just didn't fit with the business'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

BTW: Does anyone like AI's new text editor with the disabled right-click? Paste? Really? Come on, just use a basic editor field.

Hate it!

It disables OS X contextual menus which include cut, paste, spellcheck, dictionary, etc. I think I can take care of "pasting" on my own, AI Beetchez!

• Reply 22 of 41
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Hey, good on him for not blaming Apple. He's taking the humble approach and for that I respect him. He just wasn't a good fit. Happens all the time.

Re: Tim Cook, he's a great CEO. Give the man space to work, I like what he's done so far. For those of you who think the stock price is solely his responsibility, I suggest you take a few college level courses on markets, economics and business.

Calm down.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

BTW: Does anyone like AI's new text editor with the disabled right-click? Paste? Really? Come on, just use a basic editor field.

Yes that is annoying. If you use ??v from the quoted text it gives you the gray background style which is usually not what you want. To fix it you have to start editing the source code which is not so difficult for me but most people don't know how to do that. I usually keep a Textmate window open all the time so I can quickly strip any style info out of a text clipping or spell checking when necessary. It is sort of like the feature in inDesign that allows paste without formatting.

There are a couple of nice things about the rich text editor. One is that instead of finding an image on the web then saving it to your computer, and finally upload it you can simply drag the image from the web page in another window directly into the editor.

Finally there is a way to use the old BBcode editor as your default by changing your settings.

• Reply 24 of 41
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    From Apple to Monsoon is a bit of a step down!

Tim is a new CEO. He's going to make mistakes. I'm sure Steve Jobs did too. Give him time to learn the job.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes that is annoying. If you use ??v from the quoted text it gives you the gray background style which is usually not what you want. To fix it you have to start editing the source code which is not so difficult for me but most people don't know how to do that. I usually keep a Textmate window open all the time so I can quickly strip any style info out of a text clipping or spell checking when necessary. It is sort of like the feature in inDesign that allows paste without formatting.

There are a couple of nice things about the rich text editor. One is that instead of finding an image on the web then saving it to your computer, and finally upload it you can simply drag the image from the web page in another window directly into the editor.

Finally there is a way to use the old BBcode editor as your default by changing your settings.

And now the IOS web version has disabled the IOS 'read' feature and instead added a CSS increase text button, making the site slower and more awkward. Nothing worse than sites that mess with OS standard features image

• Reply 26 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That fits almost perfectly with his new company disgracefully forcing small suppliers to reduce their prices by 4% regardless of whether or not they could afford to:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9890005/Monsoon-accused-of-shameless-squeeze-on-supply-chain.html

How much of a shit was he before Apple made him kinder?

Love this quote "Monsoon Accessorize has agreed discounts with its trading partners over the years which vary from time to time and help drive growth and sustainability for the business and its suppliers." (Monsoon calls the imposed 4% price reduction 'agreed discounts'). Nice work Browett, you kind man, you.

• Reply 27 of 41
    drax7drax7 Posts: 38member
    What a moron that Browett, how could apple ever hire him with a micky master retailer on the board ?
  • Reply 28 of 41

Fire 10% of the retail employees so Apple so apple can save what...5 million a year? They probably make 5 million every 10 minutes just off interest of their billions in the bank. How much did that bad PR cost them though?

• Reply 29 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Retail chief... Captain Peacock, 'Are you being served?'

LOL, been a long time since I've seen that show.

• Reply 30 of 41
    matrix07 wrote: »
    The greatest c_ck up of Tim Cook so far.

Last time I checked, Apple retail stores were still awesome places to shop and very popular. I'd say Browett had little effect on Apple or its image. I would rate the whole iOS 6 maps launch as a bigger c--- up with Tim's name on it.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member

Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I don't think Tim Cook's days are numbered.  It was a mistake to hire Browett, but Cook corrected that mistake in a reasonable period of time.  He also fired Forstall which probably should have happened sooner.  But we might say Cook was cleaning up after Jobs' mistake in this case.

As far as the stock, yes, it's down, but that's the market's fault, not Apple's.  Apple has reasons to want the stock to go back higher, but they're not desperate about it the way some analysts assume they are.  I believe that Apple, including Tim Cook and the board of directors, view the stock as the tail and the company as the dog.  Wall Street and some investors want the tail to wag the dog but I think it's probable that Apple would cut the tail off before it starts making important decision mostly based on Wall Street hysteria.  It's hard for Wall Street (and people like Browett) to comprehend this, but it's fundamental to Apple's DNA.  I don't think Tim Cook spits on Wall Street as Steve Jobs would have, but he definitely doesn't need to bow down to those people.

I completely agree. The majority of the noisy activist fund managers, analysts and journalists are a bunch of couch quarterbacks who think they know what would be best for Apple--in the short term, which is all they care about. I'm sure it takes a certain amount of discipline to completely ignore them, but that's what you have to do. Steve had the self-confidence (arrogance?) to assume he always knew better than the others, and this was a big part of what made him great. Being right much of the time also helped, of course. So much of what I read from these people sounds completely idiotic, so that probably makes it easier to realize how few people really "get it."

• Reply 32 of 41
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    John Browett is a typical seagull manager.
    Flies in, makes a load of noise, shits on everything and the f***s off.

These people don't change.
  • Reply 33 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

I think the dividend has been Cook's biggest mistake. It gave Wall Street a taste of Apple's cash and started the current feeding frenzy. There was a reason Jobs ignored those guys.

A bit off-topic given the focus of this story, but I couldn't have said it better myself.

The dividend initiation was a HUGE mistake (some of us pointed this out before-the-fact).

In all fairness, Oppenheimer is likely the one that proposed it, and the Board obviously signed off on it. I think that their jobs, given Apple's size and scope, may have outgrown Peter O. and the Board.

• Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJRSV View Post

AAPL wants share price in a tailspin for a major buy back...Einhorn was probably paid to create stalling drama AND drive price down further (remember, that "sideshow" began at AAPL = $485).

I hate to warn you of what is lurking under your bed...... image

• Reply 35 of 41
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes that is annoying. If you use ??v from the quoted text it gives you the gray background style which is usually not what you want. To fix it you have to start editing the source code 

or just Shift Option Command v to paste

• Reply 36 of 41
    I've gotta say I'd think most people in the UK that have had an experience of a Dixons Group store (likey anyone) would be amazed this guy ever got a job at Apple. He's the worst fit for Apple ever, I can't imagine Apple didn't research him, what was Tim thinking!
  • Reply 37 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBookBen View Post

I've gotta say I'd think most people in the UK that have had an experience of a Dixons Group store (likey anyone) would be amazed this guy ever got a job at Apple. He's the worst fit for Apple ever, I can't imagine Apple didn't research him, what was Tim thinking!

I distinctly remember people saying this exact same thing here in the forums BEFORE he was hired.

• Reply 38 of 41
    I'd suggest the cap was never to fit.

Far too honest for his own good I'd say.
    A 'marketing nightmare' type executive?
    Apple employs the silent type.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    poke wrote: »
    I think the dividend has been Cook's biggest mistake. It gave Wall Street a taste of Apple's cash and started the current feeding frenzy. There was a reason Jobs ignored those guys.

Hiring this guy is #2.

I agree Apple shouldn't be listening to Wallstreet, but divdends from a shareholder perspective are better than a buy back.

Apple should have hired from within, but it probably was trying to win some influence in Europe where Apple is trying to expand its market share. Cook also hired that Papermaster guy when Jobs was on leave, which Jobs later fired after Antennea gate.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Not anyone intelligent.

Come off it.
    I don't think his days are numbered, but some of the decisions have been strange.
    Hiring this guy was a major one, an interview would have found him out with some probing questions surely, were these questions asked? If so, he lied, if they were not asked then Cook is at fault.
    Or maybe Cook wanted to improve the bottom line and used this guy as his patsy.
    Either way this is not good as Apple have a huge amount of cash and should be looking after their workers to ensure the customer gets the best experience. Otherwise they are in danger of becoming like any other penny pinching company out there.
    Apologising about Maps was a super massive mistake. Irrespective of the software quality and/or data, Cook simply should have said, yes there are issues but we are working hard in correcting them, also tell the public that maps is a difficult thing and even google had problems way back then, and still has some now.
    Apple are way too defensive, they need to draw a line, even if it impacts them, but it will put a message out there.
    1. Samdung you are copying us, so we are taking all our business away from you
    2. Google, you are to be punished by your misdeeds, too many to list, no more of your apps on our iDevices no more default search engine. Google glasses connected with our phones, forget about it. We will start instigating law suits immediately
    3. Have a better relationship with Microsoft, as both understand google is running rampant
    4, Team up and help HTC, to eat away some of samdung sales and thunder
    5. Be more aggressive in media, take up the fight to samdung that constantly belittles Apple

Yes these will hurt Apple in the short term, but at least they will know that Apple is not to be taken lightly.
    For hell sakes they have close to $140B, use some of this

Apple cannot go on as they are doing now, unless they have some amazing products in the pipeline, gradually they will suffer. Their market share will erode and so too will their profits, it will take years but it will happen.

UPDATE
    Gruber has pointed out that the Apple marketing team appears to up the ante with the new iPhone web page.
    Perhaps I am wrong and Apple are becoming more aggressive. If I am, I don't mind at all.
    Apple needs to come out firing with six guns ablazing and take no prisoners. Lets hope this is a new start.
    Being all wimpy and sitting on the side lines gets you nowhere, be it a company or an individual.