Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Comments

• Reply 201 of 230
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's a whole bit about sub-pixel rendering that you're missing here.

HTC Droid DNA has full RGB display. 

Quote:

So… your subjective nonsense should be taken as fact, but Apple's subjective nonsense is obvious lies. That it?

I am not going to explain what's not in iOS. I use 4S & my dad use Galaxy Nexus. I am well aware of what I can't do with my phone whist my dad can. It's just that I am not blindsided by blatant Apple fanboyism. 

• Reply 202 of 230
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

I am not going to explain what's not in iOS.

Why would you? There's an aleph-null minus one things not in iOS.

I am well aware of what I can't do with my phone whist my dad can. It's just that I am not blindsided by blatant Apple fanboyism. 

So trolling and refusal to back up your position. Okay.

• Reply 203 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hari5 wrote: »
    HTC Droid DNA has full RGB display. 

Your original comment was, "Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that." and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile.

Your counter to "a lot" was to list a single model. One model. I think I listed 3 models earlier on in this thread that meet or exceed the iPhone with a proper RGB subpixel arrangement but I wouldn't call that "a lot".

I understand that to troll means you aren't thinking through your position before you state it as unwavering fact but I can't imagine anyone would claim that one example is proof of "a lot."
  • Reply 204 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So trolling and refusal to back up your position. Okay.

I don't have to backup my position. It's just that Apple hasn't in their claim of world's most advance operating system. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your original comment was, "Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that." and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile.

Your counter to "a lot" was to list a single model. One model. I think I listed 3 models earlier on in this thread that meet or exceed the iPhone with a proper RGB subpixel arrangement but I wouldn't call that "a lot".

I understand that to troll means you aren't thinking through your position before you state it as unwavering fact but I can't imagine anyone would claim that one example is proof of "a lot."

Do I have to give a list of each & every handsets available with RGB arrangement? This is not a word play we are playing. 

• Reply 205 of 230
    Do I have to give a list of each & every handsets available with RGB arrangement? This is not a word play we are playing.

How about just creating a sound argument that backs up your position.

I've done a better job at defending your point and that wasn't even my goal.
  • Reply 206 of 230

I don't have to backup my position.

• Reply 207 of 230
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    It's really simple. Back in 2010, Apple had explained that iPhone 4 display whose PPI is more than 300 hence it's retina display.

Now-a-days lot of cell phones are coming with PPI more than that. And in the ad, they claim that only iPhone comes with retina display. Whether it's their trademark or not, the technology which identifies any particular display as Retina is coming with several other handsets.

They did coin the term so they're correct. It's not a mandated industry wide term and if I were the competition I'd take offense if anyone used that term to describe a display in one of my devices.
  • Reply 208 of 230
    Apple better not be dismissing Samsung or their latest efforts. Whatever they say to the public about the new S4, a larger iPhone has be coming off the production line soon or risk losing more market share, leverage with the carriers, and people opting out of their neat ecosystem. The one form factor is over, with its thumb sized screen. Either someone has larger thumbs or has figured out there's more to do with a cell phone than using it with one hand.
  • Reply 209 of 230

Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

The one form factor is over, with its thumb sized screen. Either someone has larger thumbs or has figured out there's more to do with a cell phone than using it with one hand.

Or they're not using their phones. That's an option.

• Reply 210 of 230
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    igriv wrote: »
    Those cars with tailfins replaced the model-T, which, while simple and elegant, was a much worse car, so simple doesn't necessarily mean good.

Yes, I was making a very, very subtle point about useless features. No wonder you didn't get it. Next time I'll try to make it understandable for anyone, including you.
  • Reply 211 of 230
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Funny how the trolls come out of the woodwork like roaches for certain articles. It's not just Samsung articles either, they'll often come to pooh-pooh new Apple products.

General rule of thumb, the more there are the more likely their opinions will turn out not to be accurate.

I really hate reading through the first few comments of bad metaphors and tired talking points that add little information. As for the underwhelming statements, we read the same thing with the 4s, now they're hyping the 5s while downplaying the S4. These tech tidbits don't seem well thought out to me. It's more like they need to submit their commentary on a deadline with little time spent with the actual device, regardless of brand. 

Quote:

Their 441 is only about 330 pixels. Remember it's PenTile so it's not an RGB|RGB layout, it's an RG|BG layout. Reduce that 441 by a third to get the true pixel count.

The extreme majority of digital cameras work the same way. There are of course a couple foveon cameras and scanning backs. I read once that the bayer array design was due to the human eye being more sensitive to green light, but I'm not sure of its accuracy. Those are still reported by total pixels, even though not every raw processing algorithm interpolates to the same rasterized resolution. Differences are usually minor, but unless it's one that uses set resolutions, the variation is minimal. It can be a 20 pixel variation in one dimension from a 30-40MP camera. I realize only professional level cameras have that kind of resolution. I used that range because at the lower end, fewer output encoded raw data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tired of Jonathan Ives eyes and back to manga?

• Reply 212 of 230

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Tired of Jonathan Ives eyes and back to manga?

Interestingly enough, I'd completely forgotten about those! Now to cry myself to sleep.

• Reply 213 of 230
    jeff kjeff k Posts: 1member
    The only reason the iPhone 5S will do well without any changes or innovation (besides processor or screen)is because iSheep blindly worship their deity and will line up for hours like morons to get it. 4S only had Siri that didnt work well. 5 added a row of icons. 5S??? At least the Galaxy S3 added such innovative and useful features as Smart Stay, Direct Call, Driving Mode, Face Unlock, the list goes on and on. The Galaxy S4 hardware alone is a major upgrade.
  • Reply 214 of 230

Apple has acquired fingerprint sensing technology so they could incorporate it with NFC to make it widespread standard for transactions. But it doesn't sound that much enticing. I think they will include one or more specific features which would lure the people to buy it anyway. IGZO?

Problem lies with the software. Apple has been long riding on simple UI for more than it's required. It feels static. We are living in the era where most of people can handle more functionality regardless it adds complexity. 

I am not a touchwiz fan. Only thing I like on Galaxy S III is that Samsung has used the Wolfson DAC. I still don't understand why Apple had switched from Wolfson to Cirrus Logic. Although it sounds more detailed & crisp but it lacks on 3D image and lots of reviews have mentioned that it has an electronic haze in the sound. This is the only reason why I have still kept my 5.5G iPod Video. Wolfson sounds less precise, but its timbre contains more harmonic information and sounds less electronic. 

• Reply 215 of 230

Apple has been long riding on simple UI for more than it's required. It feels static. We are living in the era where most of people can handle more functionality regardless it adds complexity.

Why? What, you want "live apps"? The idea is that it doesn't get any more complex.

• Reply 216 of 230

Regardless of how one feel about iPhone or Samsung Galaxy hardware or OS software, the Galaxy phones have surpassed the iPhone as the "it" phone.  

When lots of parents are sync up together on the iPhone, it's no longer a fad.  It's no longer cool to be seen with the iPhone when the next person in the grocery store line is a soccer mom who also has an iPhone looking thu Pinterest or the suits in the subway have the white iPhone headphones.  

Samsung has done a good job (and spent lots of marketing money) to be associated with LeBron James.  More street cred and cool.  

• Reply 217 of 230

Originally Posted by bevochan View Post

Regardless of how one feel about iPhone or Samsung Galaxy hardware or OS software, the Galaxy phones have surpassed the iPhone as the "it" phone[citation needed].  

When lots of parents are sync up together on the iPhone, it's no longer a fad.

The implication being that Apple ever intended the iPhone to be a "fad".

It's no longer cool to be seen with the iPhone when the next person in the grocery store line is a soccer mom who also has an iPhone looking thu Pinterest or the suits in the subway have the white iPhone headphones.  

The implication being that vanity means more than having a device that actually works.

Samsung has done a good job (and spent lots of marketing money) to be associated with LeBron James.  More street cred and cool.  

By law Apple is cooler than Samsung. Who the heck is LeBron James?

• Reply 218 of 230
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

HTC, LG and Sony phones with 1080p all use full RGB pixel layouts.  Only Samsung uses a Pentile arangement...

• Reply 219 of 230
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    HTC, LG and Sony phones with 1080p all use full RGB pixel layouts.  Only Samsung uses a Pentile arangement...

Did you mean to quote me in your reply? If so, why?
  • Reply 220 of 230
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Did you mean to quote me in your reply? If so, why?

Because you're wrong in stating that "and yet the nearly all that are coming out with a stated PPI in the Retina-range are using PenTile" <-- (your quote)

Yet, only Samsung phones use a Pentile arrangement, in fact, PenTile is a trademark of Samsung.  All screens made by other manufacturers use an RGB arrangement (even Samsungs LCDs do too)...