HD for buzzy iMac DV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The persistent buzz from our iMac DV 400 is driving my parents nuts, so I want to have it replaced.

I know little about this. What interface am I supposed to look for? ATA? Ultra ATA?

I've settled on a Seagate, since people on these boards are saying they're quiet. Will the 40 GB Seagate IV Barracuda Model # ST340016A work?

And can anyone recommend where to get a HD? I'm looking at newegg.com.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by josephg:

<strong>The persistent buzz from our iMac DV 400 is driving my parents nuts, so I want to have it replaced.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I assume you're talking about replacing the hard drive and not the iMac itself! Are you sure its actually the hard drive thats buzzing and not something else? A minor fault with some of the CRT iMacs seems to be that the switch on the front occasionally sticks in and doesn't pop back out, resulting in a buzzing sound.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    Yeah, I meant the HD, and it definitely is the HD. The iMac's silent (like it's supposed to be) when it's asleep or when the HD spins down, and the button doesn't stick.

I asked around on these boards a few months ago about the HD sound. Apparently it's a problem with the Maxtor drives.