Suggested name for the larger Apple phone

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Apple iPhone 5s:  same size as the current iPhone 5

iPhone 5s Magnum: larger

I figure that it is only men that buy the larger phone, and the word 'Magnum' reminds people of really big guns and big other things that appeal to men.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Sounds like the iPhone Compensator. The iPhone Protector. The iPhone… well, you get the idea now.

"But but but but but women want the iPad mini, so they'll obviously be fine with a 6" iPhone!"

• Reply 2 of 10
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

This demands another Futurama reference.

• Reply 3 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,421member

"iPhone"

It comes in 4" and 5" versions. Same thing with "iPad". It comes in 8" and 10" versions. This is the same branding strategy as the MacBooks. They just call their MacBooks as "MacBook Air", "MacBook Pro", or "MacBook Pro with Retina Display". They come in 11/13 or 13/15 inch sizes.

To bad Apple didn't release a 5" iPhone last Fall. It was the right time to do it. It seems silly to me that they have no problem offering 3 screen size for MacBooks (was 4 a couple of years ago) and 2 sizes of iMacs, 5 variants of iPods (shuffle, nano, touch, classic, Apple TV), yet don't do it for iPhones.

This is the 6th year of the multi-touch slate handheld device "market". Apple has to know that the hardware/software reach diminishing returns in late 2011 with dual-core, 512 MB RAM devices, after 5 years of relentless incrementalism. After that, the market would get further and further commoditized. Once this happens, some diversification in their iPhone (and iPod touch) portfolio has to happen.

I think it is inevitable. The 2012 refresh was a good time to do it. Maybe 2013.

And yes, women buy the large phones. I think it's 50/50 in accordance to the population split.

• Reply 4 of 10

Originally Posted by THT View Post

It seems silly to me that they have no problem offering 3 screen size for MacBooks (was 4 a couple of years ago) and 2 sizes of iMacs, 5 variants of iPods (shuffle, nano, touch, classic, Apple TV), yet don't do it for iPhones.

None of those require specific screen sizes for development.

Apple has to know that the hardware/software reach diminishing returns in late 2011 with dual-core, 512 MB RAM devices, after 5 years of relentless incrementalism. After that, the market would get further and further commoditized. Once this happens, some diversification in their iPhone (and iPod touch) portfolio has to happen.

Why? People upgrade fast enough to keep it moving. Once the market is "saturated", they'll still make money on upgrades. 

• Reply 5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None of those require specific screen sizes for development.

Perhaps it's better if users were happier than developers? And, if they were to support it, I'm sure they can design development frameworks that can ease development for multiple screen sizes and resolutions, all at the same aspect ratio.

Why?

Because people are different, and different people value different things. With a multi-touch slate-style device, the screen is a big factor in how people value the device. Some want larger, some want smaller. Offering a selection, like 2 screen sizes, would cover a wider swath of the market.

People upgrade fast enough to keep it moving. Once the market is "saturated", they'll still make money on upgrades. 

Upgrade cycles for iPhones and iPads are going to slow down as the hardware and software has gotten good enough. I'd argue that the hardware/software was good enough in 2011 with dual-core, 512 MB devices. If not, 2012 hardware certainly. I don't think there's a lot of new stuff that'll drive yearly or every 2 year cycles. If you buy an iPhone 5, I think that's a fine computer for the next 3 years.

Once the market is saturated, offering a portfolio of devices enables more upgrades as they can address more users' pain points.

• Reply 6 of 10

Perhaps it's better if users were happier than developers?

Ah, but that goes hand in hand. Take EA, for example.

…hardware and software has gotten good enough.

Hmm. That seems a little dangerous to day.

I agree, though, that specs won't be the reason for purchase in the future. It'll be life-altering features.

• Reply 7 of 10

Quote:

Ah, but that goes hand in hand. Take EA, for example.

Certainly a balance. But developers are more motivated by money than being demotivated by the difficulty of development. With buying customers, developers will follow. It's a lot harder the other way around.

2 iPhone display sizes is not some gigantic business risk. Apple offers multiple screen sizes and device variants (not just color or storage options) for their DAP and PC devices, yet refuse to with iPhones. Maybe they don't want to take the margin hit and devote the software time & resources for phones with multiple screen sizes, but they have to know that their customers, and the market itself, do in fact mature, that the phone market as whole is getting to a saturation point.

Having more variation gives people more reason to buy. So, in the end, I think it's a win. 2012 would have been nice market timing, so, I think they are going to be late.

Quote:

I agree, though, that specs won't be the reason for purchase in the future. It'll be life-altering features.

I don't think life altering features will be coming to handheld devices. I don't think it would be coming for another 5 years. It's all going to be in medical and health fields.

• Reply 8 of 10

I don't think life altering features will be coming to handheld devices.

Then how will they sell? 

It's all going to be in medical and health fields.

You're thinking inside the box.

It's going to be big, and it's going to be fundamental. And it's gonna be great.

• Reply 9 of 10

Quote:

Then how will they sell? 

Like computers do. People will only upgrade every 3 to 4 years. It could be worse. It could be the car market where upgrades are every 5 to 7 years, or however long it is. Devices will get old. Software loads will get heavier and will stop supporting older devices. So people will upgrade.

Quote:

You're thinking inside the box.

It's going to be big, and it's going to be fundamental. And it's gonna be great.

Oh, I'm thinking full on cyborg with implants, not wristband computers or eye glasses. ;)

• Reply 10 of 10

Like computers do. People will only upgrade every 3 to 4 years. 

So why is a larger device needed? They'll keep doing exactly what they're doing now.