Game recommendations

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

I haven't done any gaming in a number of years, but I have an iMac with the 680MX arriving on Wednesday, so I thought I'd put it to good use.

I'm planning on Portal 2 (Portal was basically the last game I played), Starcraft II, and League of Legends (one of my closest friends from college is the head of marketing for Riot Games).

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    flounder wrote: »
    Any other suggestions?

It depends on what games you like and also if you only plan on playing native Mac games and not under Bootcamp. With Bootcamp, you'd get the latest games like Tomb Raider (2013) and Hitman Absolution.

Good native Mac games though would include the following:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare
    Bioshock
    The Witcher 2
    Broken Sword
    Tomb Raider Underworld
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Half-Life 2 series
    Deponia
    Mafia 2
    Splinter Cell Conviction
    Deus Ex Human Revolution

You get Steam for the Mac, which is a good way to find games, sort by Metacritic score and you can see some of the top ones at a glance:

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/
    http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Metascore&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&os=mac

If you prefer RTS-type games like Starcraft, you can narrow by category.

There's also streaming games to allow you to play some of the Windows titles like LA noire if you don't want to use Bootcamp:

http://www.onlive.com

It needs a good internet connection but you don't need to download the game itself.
  • Reply 2 of 7

And here I am fiddling with Civilization IV (it was $8, OK?), missing Strategic Conquest (almost prevented me from graduating university back more than a few years), Sim City 4 and Harpoon 2.

Not stressing my 680MX at all (at least with games).  SketchUp, well, that's another story!

• Reply 3 of 7
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

Thanks for the suggestions, Marvin.

Bergermeister, you made me remember I have Civ IV! I stowed it away because I spent to much time on it. Old or not, I'm sure it will look great on my new iMac.

I really had no good reason to get the 680MX other than I got a bonus at work and decided what the hell.

I've been cleaning up the files on my summer 2007 MBP. The iMac should be arriving Wednesday.

• Reply 4 of 7

I changed the Civ IV screen to fill the iMac's.... dang the fonts are small!  Or my eyesight is failing...

Cleaning a closet today turned up a few old games CD-Roms including Stronghold.  Too bad they won't run anymore.

Are there any emulators or such?

I don't like the new versions of some of my old favorites; things have gotten too fancy or my brain hasn't updated.  

• Reply 5 of 7

Well my iMac arrived yesterday. I put migration assistant to work around 10:30 last night.  When I went to bed at 11, it said it 24 (!) hours of work to do (this is to transfer roughly 90 GB of information). When I woke up at 7, it was probably 35-40% done and said there were 14 hours to go.  Then when I looked again before hoping in the shower it said 39 hours (!!). When I got out of the shower, it said 31, and when I left for work at 8, it said 34.

So I guess I'll actually get to use my iMac...........when I get home from work tomorrow?  Damn you, migration assistant.

• Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    flounder wrote: »
    So I guess I'll actually get to use my iMac...........when I get home from work tomorrow?  Damn you, migration assistant.

Migration assistant is a piece of junk - it wouldn't surprise me if it uses the iSight to check when you're watching it and screws around with the times. I usually exclude everything except about <10GB of user folder data and do the rest manually. I've actually cancelled it in the past and reduced the amount it copies just so it would finish in a reasonable amount of time. All it's doing is copying files and setting permissions. Absolute worst case scenario, if you were copying 90GB at 5MB/s (which is slow even for lots of small files), it would still only take 5 hours.
  • Reply 7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Migration assistant is a piece of junk - it wouldn't surprise me if it uses the iSight to check when you're watching it and screws around with the times. I usually exclude everything except about <10GB of user folder data and do the rest manually. I've actually cancelled it in the past and reduced the amount it copies just so it would finish in a reasonable amount of time. All it's doing is copying files and setting permissions. Absolute worst case scenario, if you were copying 90GB at 5MB/s (which is slow even for lots of small files), it would still only take 5 hours.

No kidding! It finally finished sometime around 5am this morning - so somewhere around 31 hours!! I had heard migration assistant was bad when it first came out, but I made the obviously erroneous assumption that Apple had improved it.

It's definitely going to take a little time to get used to the size of this screen! It's damn impressive.