Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What "getting it's groove back"?

The love of the media, perhaps. 

• Reply 22 of 74
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do they? These guys are sanctioned by the most secretive company in the industry to talk about future products?

I think what he meant is Apple wouldn't send anyone to an event like this, so these guys got invited instead. 

• Reply 23 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    peter236 wrote: »
    Apple is probably studying how to copy the Samsung new phone. They better release a bigger screen phone and a more affordable, otherwise companies like Huawei, Lenovo and ZTE will take market share away as they did in 2012 in a big way.

Can you show me the market share that Huawei, Lenovo and ZTE pulled from Apple in 2012 because of a larger phone display?
  • Reply 24 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple is probably studying how to copy the Samsung new phone. They better release a bigger screen phone and a more affordable, otherwise companies like Huawei, Lenovo and ZTE will take market share away as they did in 2012 in a big way.

While Apple will probably release a 5" iPhone, they don't have to. The 4" iPhone is #1 and the 3.5" iPhone is #2. And Apple did sell a record number of iPhones.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I think what he meant is Apple wouldn't send anyone to an event like this, so these guys got invited instead. 

Ah, that makes sense.

• Reply 26 of 74
    jungmark wrote: »
    While Apple will probably release a 5" iPhone, they don't have to. The 4" iPhone is #1 and the 3.5" iPhone is #2. And Apple did sell a record number of iPhones.

I don't know. I think the success of the really expensive and really large Galaxy Note has shown that there is a market for really large phone/tablet hybrids. They seem especially popular in the Asian markets, perhaps because of the nature of their written language or some other cultural-based preference. If they do, I think 4.94" will likely be the chosen size so hey can use the 1136x640 resolution with the 264 PPI of the iPad 4.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Samsung also sold a record number of phones, as did Huawei, Lenovo and ZTE etc. Apple's market share is shinking, so is the IOS ecosystem.

• Reply 28 of 74
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Samsung also sold a record number of phones, as did Huawei, Lenovo and ZTE etc. Apple's market share is shinking, so is the IOS ecosystem.

Have you got any figures to prove that the iOS ecosystem is shrinking?

And if all these companies are selling so many phones then how come Apple is raking in 70% of the profits? Could it be because the other companies sales are at the cheaper end of the market?
  • Reply 29 of 74

If what you claim is true you can post some figures. Show me yours and I'll show you mine but I guarantee that my iPhone numbers far exceed the Galaxy S III numbers which are the highest shipping high-end Android-based device on the market today.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Apple must move to address the low-cost smartphone market in order to continue growing. Munster was upbeat on Apple's chances going forward.
    Look at ipad mini , who will say it is good AFTER Apple released it ? When cheap iPhone comes , people will start to say about cannibation problem .
    Fuxking the anal sist
  • Reply 31 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What "getting it's groove back"? Apple is making money hand over fist. The pummeling of Apple's stock is wholly created by goons like Munster and institutional shorts.

Apple is making a lot of money and released a ton of improved products between March and October 2012. But their execution isn't exactly sterling, and they haven't created big wave in a long time. I'm not a "sky is falling" type by any means - I realize that this is part of their normal product cycle (heck, 6 years between iPod and iPhone). 

If we're honest, let's take a look at some less-than-perfect Apple news over the past year:

-new Retail chief Josh Browett screwed up royally. He got sacked, and no one has replaced him

-iPad Minis have a great design but feature mostly iPad 2 specs

-iPhone 5 brings LTE (finally) and a slightly bigger screen, but leaves a big hole in the market for those who want a big-screen, tinkerer types, and developing markets

-iOS 6 is a more mature platform than Android, but is getting very stale in the UI department. Still stuck in an "iPod syncing" frame of reference; content it still too siloed. 

-OS X is still solid, but Mountain Lion was a fairly small upgrade. The last big feature upgrade was Leopard (2007), with Snow Leopard (2009) being the epitome of dependability and leanness. Since then it's been adding neat iOS-type features and getting slightly less reliable. 

-Apple used to easily trounce competitors in UI. Now they have made "skeuomorphism" a household word. 

-iCloud is great for contacts and calendars, but document sharing is extremely limited; general file storage is non-existent

-production of iMacs didn't really catch up to demand til February 2013

-iWork is still on version '09. Siri is still in "beta", whatever that means. 

-Maps was pushed out before it was polished to Apple standards. Realistically should have been an optional download for iOS 6 and replaced Google Maps in iOS 7.

Overall, I feel like Apple needs to pull back from its relentless "velvet handcuffs" approach. I think that if Apple can release some NEW products this year, that will certainly help. iOS needs some fresh blood, stat. Again, Apple is not doomed - but we are in a relative lull in product releases, especially when it comes to software & services. I have lots of hope since OS X is due for an upgrade, iOS can't possibly have another iOS 6-type release, and Jony Ive is taking a new look at interfaces. 

• Reply 32 of 74
  • Reply 32 of 74
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Apple is making a lot of money and released a ton of improved products between March and October 2012. But their execution isn't exactly sterling, and they haven't created big wave in a long time. I'm not a "sky is falling" type by any means - I realize that this is part of their normal product cycle (heck, 6 years between iPod and iPhone). 

If we're honest, let's take a look at some less-than-perfect Apple news over the past year:
    -new Retail chief Josh Browett screwed up royally. He got sacked, and no one has replaced him
    -iPhone 5 brings LTE (finally) and a slightly bigger screen, but leaves a big hole in the market for those who want a big-screen, tinkerer types, and developing markets
    -iOS 6 is a more mature platform than Android, but is getting very stale in the UI department. Still stuck in an "iPod syncing" frame of reference; content it still too siloed. 
    -OS X is still solid, but Mountain Lion was a fairly small upgrade. The last big feature upgrade was Leopard (2007), with Snow Leopard (2009) being the epitome of dependability and leanness. Since then it's been adding neat iOS-type features and getting slightly less reliable. 
    -Apple used to easily trounce competitors in UI. Now they have made "skeuomorphism" a household word. 
    -iCloud is great for contacts and calendars, but document sharing is extremely limited; general file storage is non-existent

-Maps was pushed out before it was polished to Apple standards. Realistically should have been an optional download for iOS 6 and replaced Google Maps in iOS 7.

Overall, I feel like Apple needs to pull back from its relentless "velvet handcuffs" approach. I think that if Apple can release some NEW products this year, that will certainly help. iOS needs some fresh blood, stat. Again, Apple is not doomed - but we are in a relative lull in product releases, especially when it comes to software & services. I have lots of hope since OS X is due for an upgrade, iOS can't possibly have another iOS 6-type release, and Jony Ive is taking a new look at interfaces. 

A lot of what you say sound like anti-Apple talking points. I'm not sure what about Siri being beta is confusing or why iPhone 5 bringing LTE gets a finally as if power efficient LTE chips had existed previously. Let's remember that Apple doesn't have a history of adding something to its spec sheet so it can say "first!"
  • Reply 35 of 74
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-galaxy-4-just-boring-iphone-5-180404300--finance.html

"Although Apple’s detractors like to say the company isn’t innovating anymore, it’s hard to see how Samsung is much different."

Cheers

• Reply 36 of 74
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

EXPAND: ALL THE BIGGEST NEWS FROM SAN FRANCISCO

Seriously? Who blew their job on that head line?

• Reply 37 of 74

Fair enough, but most of the problems you mention (Browett getting sacked, 'stale' UI, iPad2 specs) are really operational issues or geek talking points that don't really concern Apple's core customer base. Again, you say Apple needs a bigger screen, and again Apple has the top two spots in US smartphone sales with devices a four inch screen and three and a half inch screen. This tells me that regular folk aren't as obsessed with large screens as some would have us believe.

Here's the thing; have you ever wondered why AppleInsider devotes about half its content to Samsung and Google? The problem is that the vast majority of Apple's customers do not hang around in forums talking about specs and screen sizes; they buy a phone then get on with their lives. This seems to be very different for the high end Android users who are a lot more concerned about the number of cores in their phone's processor and are happy to spend their lives online fighting about it. So when I see a complaints about screen sizes, stale UIs (because Apple's core customers are more concerned with ease of use, stability and conformity than being able to tweak every aspect of the phone's operation), lack of memory card slots, the inability to access the phone's file system etc. then I usually think, "Mate, you bought the wrong phone."

This is not to say that Android is any better or worse than iOS; they just serve different markets. I wouldn't expect Google to sacrifice versatility and customisation any more than I would expect Apple to sacrifice ease of use and security.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

I completely disagree that Apple will release a product named iWatch. It won´t happen. "Watch" is too limiting. Bracelet maybe yes. iBand maybe. But not an iWatch.

Let´s be honest, IOS has some major advantages over Android/Samsung in terms of efficiency. No wonder iPhone 5 features a A6 with 1GHz and 1GB ram, while the G4 features a quad core 1.8GHz processor and 2GB ram. The big innovation for the next couple of years in mobile will not be in quad-core CPUs e.g the new G4 phone. But rather in the direction of the newly discovered processor in the Apple Tv3 which is a true single core A5 with an incredible power efficiency. 

People want big phones? Sure some probably do. But Android success is driven by the fact that they REQUIRE powerful CPUs and big batteries. This is way just about every decent android phone is 4.8"+

Apple both can and will use this to their advantage, expect to see smaller devices with amazing battery efficiency that can still deliver a decent experience. A bracelet with a 2.5"+ flexible glass screen will give you more than enough space for a decent battery can indeed be the next innovation from Apple. It won´t be a watch, but rather a siri controlled mini-computer with some decent sensors. This is exactly a type of thing that we all think we do not need now, but Apple knows differently. 

How can Android/Samsung copy this? It will take them years in both hardware and software to even remotely come close. 

Apple has released some really great products in the last year, but I am sure many will agree that they appear to be in a "quiet" mode with regards to expanding the ecosystem. This indicates to me that they are carefully planning/designing/developing new products that are already ready for primetime, but as long as the iPhone/iPad keep selling as well as they do, they might as well continue improving/adding without anyone else knowing it. By the time they feel ready to go to market, Samsung/Google/etc will be so far behind, it will take years for them to come up with something remotely close. 

Apple do not want to be in this zig-zag position with google/samsung over tiny features and improvements. They want to gather their strength, and wait as long as they can in order to really amaze us again. Publicly they are keeping up, barely staying ahead - but internally they are way ahead. 

I do not worry for Apple. I await in excitement for the next big thing coming out of Cupertino. 

• Reply 39 of 74
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member
    Piper Jerkoff
  • Reply 40 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicapt View Post

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-galaxy-4-just-boring-iphone-5-180404300--finance.html

"Although Apple’s detractors like to say the company isn’t innovating anymore, it’s hard to see how Samsung is much different."

Cheers

I have to agree with him; there just isn't much more you can do with a smartphone.