Google cites quote from Steve Jobs biography in attempt to win iPhone import ban

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think it matters that they bought the sensor form a third party. They combined a cell phone and an IR sensor for the specific purpose to achieve the same end result that is claimed in the Motorola patent.

Except that this other company could pre date the Moto patent and thus be prior art that could get the patent rendered invalid. 

• Reply 42 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Except that this other company could pre date the Moto patent and thus be prior art that could get the patent rendered invalid. 

Or not. Prior art doesn't always render a patent invalid.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Go to your Google Dashboard, or if you just use Google search, click the settings icon at the upper right, and go down and click "Do not use personal results".

That's the basically the same thing as the Apple opt-out button, which simply tells the advertiser to not use the phone's ad tracking id to serve up a personalized ad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

GadgetCanada, Google tells you how to opt-out of ads on iOS. It's not even hard to do..

http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads/

You'll notice in both responses, there is no way to stop Google from tracking you. However, our resident Google representatives suggest that that's ok, because you can turn off personalized ads, as though that were the problem with being tracked.

What do they call that setting, "Hide how creepy Google is"?

Usually the responses from GG and KD are not so utterly and completely stupid. I guess they had no way to spin that, so they just hoped no one would notice.

• Reply 44 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    anonymouse wrote: »

You'll notice in both responses, there is no way to stop Google from tracking you. However, our resident Google representatives suggest that that's ok, because you can turn off personalized ads, as though that were the problem with being tracked.

What do they call that setting, "Hide how creepy Google is"?

Usually the responses from GG and KD are not so utterly and completely stupid. I guess they had no way to spin that, so they just hoped no one would notice.

You act as if Google invented tracking and the only one doing it. Unless one is totally off the grid they'll be tracked some way and somehow. I suspect 'opting out' is just a placebo. It makes you feel good, but is it really working?
  • Reply 45 of 47
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

As noted in my response, Apple's switch to turn off personalized ads does NOT also turn off giving the advertiser the tracking id.   They still see the tracking id.  All the switch does is set a flag that the advertiser is supposed to honor.

This is made clear in the iOS API references, which I have also posted before.  

• Reply 46 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

No suggestions from me, other than just use BBcode editor with the site preferences. Tnx

Thanks! I tried that, now _I_ see HTML tags everywhere while editing. I think I'll go back to the original editor.

So is this only happening in the editor? If so, then why are you using BBEditor instead of the HTML native one? Just curious. Appreciate the understanding.

I'm back in the Rich Text Editor, and there doesn't seem to be a way of multi-quoting. Must be there as I see you multi quote - I'm missing something here. But all the options oin the RTE I don't need; give me the basic BBcode Editor and I'm good. I find it easier to read a forum all in the same font, same size, same 'boring'. Before we had B U I used _at the beginning and end of a word. I also don't see a great deal of difference or added features in the RTE. I don't use undo and spell check is built into OSX.

• Reply 47 of 47
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You act as if Google invented tracking and the only one doing it. Unless one is totally off the grid they'll be tracked some way and somehow. I suspect 'opting out' is just a placebo. It makes you feel good, but is it really working?

No, they didn't invent it, but they are the Big Brother of the Internet. Despite some poster's cry's of Apple does it too, it is simply false to assert that anyone even has the capability to track you to the extent Google does. It has become very nearly impossible to do anything on the Internet without one of Google's spy systems tracking your every move.

Yes, phrases like anonymized data and opt-out are just placebo's. You are still getting tracked, and there is absolutely nothing anonymous about the data Google has on you. But, the defense of, "Google's not the only one tracking you," or, more frequently heard here from the shills, "Apple is tracking you too," essentially equating what Google does with what other companies, including Apple, do, is disingenuous to the point, so misrepresents the truth, that it's nothing more than an outright lie in the context of the discussion.

It's also entirely irrelevant. If Google's only defense, as presented here by those paid to put its message forward, and fools who come here believing it, is a tu quoque, that alone should make people sit up and take notice.