BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated

Comments

• Reply 61 of 291
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

People are always throwing out this idea that the iOS interface is "dated" or "stale" but they all have two things in common.

1) They can never actually say what specifically about it is "outdated" or what they would change.

2) Those that say it are almost always competitors.  

• Reply 62 of 291
    The Blackberry guy is right. Apple need to come up with something amazing with iOS7, or they're on a slippery slope. Actually, I smell the rot set in already. Believe me, Jony Ive is not visionary, he is not the next Steve Jobs. I'm thinking of selling my iPhone 5, because it leaves me cold. As for OS X, it's sterile. They've refined all character out of it. Metal? Cold, lifeless.

I've been a Machead for years, but I think the company is just going through the motions now. Think Apple is invulnerable? It nearly went bust once.
  • Reply 63 of 291
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Because its only a matter of time before something better comes out. I think his point is...you should never rest on your laurels or else you'll turn into a Blackberry. Don't think it can't happen to Apple. 

You are making the assumption that Apple is resting on its laurels. I think Apple has learned from the whole Maps launch. In other words, why release something when its not ready?

I'd rather be a bit more patient and wait then be blown away. Android, Blackberry or Windows Phone UI aren't blowing the iOS UI away in any case.

The closest comparison to iOS quality wise was/is WebOS.

• Reply 64 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I tend to agree that the UI of iOS is outdated. Not much as changed since the original iOS. I'd like to see some differences. Maybe Jony Ive can make this happen in iOS 7. No sweeping changes so it makes it harder to use, but just changes to refresh the interface. I'd like to see some new features as well. Except for Siri (which isn't a big deal to me), there really hasn't been anything earth shattering coming out of Apple these days. You can only sit and watch yourself on top for so long before people start to catch up. If you wait until they catch up, its already too late...Its only a matter of time before someone does just this if Apple doesn't do anything to stay ahead.

***Waits to get lambasted for this post***

Not going to "lambaste" you, but I would argue that if one says the UI is "outdated" it does suggest that "sweeping changes" are in order.  If instead, as you describe, only a few tweaks are necessary, then that would be closer to "it needs a bit of a refresh," which I think most people would agree with.  

I would like to see specifically more control myself.  More options in the users hands versus like being able to get rid of the "swipe to open" if I want or getting rid of crap I don't need that's integrated into the system like "Game Center."  

While we are at it, it would be nice if the names of the applications were aware of the dictionary and localisation too so "Game Center" would show as the (more correct), "Game Centre" instead of having to stare at irritating mis-spellings all day.  

• Reply 65 of 291
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

^^

there are some good suggestions here, and I think a lot of them would make iOS more functional.  I don't think they're just change for the sake of change.  I'm not necessarily a fan of widgets but why does the home screen need to be a grid of apps?  What if I wanted it to just show date/time/weather and the apps I use the most?  Or access to most used settings.  And have all my other apps on a different screen which could be organized alphabetically or by some category.  And I'd only need to see them when I want to access one of those apps.  There are things Apple can do which would benefit the user. If iOS was perfect Scott Forstall would still be at Apple.

• Reply 66 of 291
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    A big part of the reason that the iPhone and iPad took off so successfully was the fact that their interfaces are "user friendly". Dated...maybe...but even toddlers are learning to use these things!
  • Reply 67 of 291
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    papamumin wrote: »
    The Blackberry guy is right. Apple need to come up with something amazing with iOS7, or they're on a slippery slope. Actually, I smell the rot set in already. Believe me, Jony Ive is not visionary, he is not the next Steve Jobs. I'm thinking of selling my iPhone 5, because it leaves me cold. As for OS X, it's sterile. They've refined all character out of it. Metal? Cold, lifeless.

I've been a Machead for years, but I think the company is just going through the motions now. Think Apple is invulnerable? It nearly went bust once.

Lol. Too Funny. I always love when these pop up
  • Reply 68 of 291
    mundtymundty Posts: 10member
    If I had to guess, Apple strikes me as a company that's aware of the fact that their home screen UI is starting to show signs of age. That being said, they aren't the type of company to implement half baked ideas into their products until they're confident it will work. The point being, I don't think they would disagree with this assessment... but until they can come up with a better replacement, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • Reply 69 of 291
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Thank you for answering your own question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Could you please provide some specific examples over the last 10 years of a Microsoft OS that has been reskinned every year so that Microsoft can justify its outrageous upgrade cost?  Windows Phone upgrades have come for free (but who cares), XBox upgrades have come for free, and Microsoft Windows has only had three releases over the last 10 years ("Windows Vista" in 2006, "Windows 7" in 2009, and "Windows 8" in 2012). 

• Reply 70 of 291

I think it is about time that we change from using a number dial pad on all phones to one that has more flash - plain numbers laid out in a static 3x4 format is so yesterday.  We need active widgets to represent each number, each with the ability to show current weather or the faces of people we know, maybe facebook status or twitter feeds.  REALLY?  Is that really where people want things to go?  I think people must have a lot of time on their hands that they need their phones to entertain them even when in a mode meant to be the starting base.  Maybe I'm not the norm, but I think it's totally fine that I have to push an app icon to get to something like weather, where I can be "entertained" by radar images or active examples of what the weather is like where I am.

The app icon model, on a smart phone or tablet was created as a simple means of getting to whichever app or function you want/need quickly.  This push to have everything be active all the time is simply furthering people's short-term attention spans.  Kind of like saying it's a benefit to be able to watch a video and work on a spreadsheet at the same time.  Really, is that something people can or want to do?

• Reply 71 of 291
    #1. BBerry has been standing still for .... well forever.

#2. BBerry has been lapped countless times in the 'mobile computing grand prix'. Heins' 'starting grid' exists only in his own mind.
  • Reply 72 of 291
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

People are always throwing out this idea that the iOS interface is "dated" or "stale" but they all have two things in common.

1) They can never actually say what specifically about it is "outdated" or what they would change.

2) Those that say it are almost always competitors.  

And, not just "what" is "outdated" or "stale", that's too simplistic, but what about it specifically is, and why is it? If one can't answer those questions, one is just blowing hot air.

I see a lot of posts in this thread about how Apple should add this feature or that (often things of very little general utility), but none of this tacking on features is "updating the UI", it's just tacking on features.

• Reply 73 of 291

Blackberry CEO to publicist: "I want to burnish my public image, give me some ideas".

Publicist: "Let's release a series of short articles opining on the shortcomings of various competitors. Let's start with Apple".

BB CEO: "Great!"

• Reply 74 of 291
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by papamumin View Post

As for OS X, it's sterile. 

Oh now you mention it!

I kept my two Mac's on the same table for years!

I am waiting and waiting and waiting and...

But no there is still no offspring.

Finally I know the reason for this lack of success. Thank's a lot for your enlightenment papamumin.

• Reply 75 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selva Raj View Post

sorry again

UI design and next gen ipad internal design..

It will be a pakka elegant

ios 7 will be the first 64 bit os with next gen 64 bit processor. (guess possibly dual core/quad core)

it is enough powerful to beat all hardware on the market

Your not making much sense except it's obvious you are striving for attention.  You post an image of what looks like a web page, with an oblique reference to the iPad combined with a link to a patent for an old internal iPad 30pin cable.  WTF?! 

I sense that you may have an ESL problem, but still ... you need to try much, much, harder to make some kind of sense.  

• Reply 76 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by titusm View Post

I could not agree more. I said that and my feeling is, that people are moving to android because Apple is kind of uncool. The iOS GUI looks simply childish. In many ways Microsoft did a better job with windows 8. On the other hand it will be a bold move to leave all these app icons behind as the whole marketing strategy builds up on these.

Except: 

- people actually aren't "moving to Android" (iOS is actually used more)

- a GUI that looks "childish" (children can use it) is actually a good thing

- objective studies (and all the reviews) say Microsoft actually didn't do a "better job" with Windows 8

Be happy in your little fantasy world though.  It seems like everything makes sense in there. 

• Reply 77 of 291
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

I hope ios7 doesn't change much, honestly I don't want to see widgets, live wallpapers, swype, and a bunch of software features that you see on some of the android phones. I'm old school, I just want ios7 to look relatively the same as the first ios in 2007. I prefer speed, fluidity, solid battery life over a bunch of features that most people wont use anyways.

Swype was pretty laggy, but on my Note 2 gesture typing was fantastic. It's not a make or break thing, but I'd love to see it on iPhone.

• Reply 78 of 291
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Could you please provide some specific examples over the last 10 years of a Microsoft OS that has been reskinned every year so that Microsoft can justify its outrageous upgrade cost?  Windows Phone upgrades have come for free (but who cares), XBox upgrades have come for free, and Microsoft Windows has only had three releases over the last 10 years ("Windows Vista" in 2006, "Windows 7" in 2009, and "Windows 8" in 2012). 

And Windows 7, while an improvement on Vista, was not visually that different. Windows 8 actually has new UI ideas, and look at the grief MS has gotten over this.

• Reply 79 of 291
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by guaihu View Post

Swype was pretty laggy, but on my Note 2 gesture typing was fantastic. It's not a make or break thing, but I'd love to see it on iPhone.

What is the difference between Swype and gesture typing, for the unenglightened among us?

• Reply 80 of 291
    sdo2000sdo2000 Posts: 29member
    I like how the home screen is set up I can access all my apps easily and with speed.

Things I would like to see

Increase the app limit in folders
    Quick settings in NC (wifi and blue tooth)
    Third party support NC widgets (weather)
    Change default apps (web browser)
    Be able to hide apps (newstand)

I'm really happy with my experience so far. I can't see anything drastic changed with ios on the iphone as much as the ipad. Now if I could have a filesystem on my full size ipad I'd be on cloud 9 ;)