BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated

Comments

• Reply 101 of 291
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

People are always throwing out this idea that the iOS interface is "dated" or "stale" but they all have two things in common.

1) They can never actually say what specifically about it is "outdated" or what they would change.

2) Those that say it are almost always competitors.  

I would like to see widgets....

I would also like to see the ability to block caller's numbers

that just off the top of my head.....

• Reply 102 of 291

Quote:

and what Android OEMs and Blackberry are trying to do is copy Apple enough to be similar, but make changes to make it different like putting the weather on the locked screen and saying how advanced their OS is.

You're obviously quite uninformed if you think displaying weather on the lock screen is the extent of Android's efforts to be more advanced. 

To name but a few, Android beat iOS to:

-Full multitasking

-Turn-by-turn navigation

-3rd party keyboards

-Face unlock

-Near Field Communications

-Expandable storage (SD cards)

-Wireless sync

-Wireless charging (some Android models)

-Notification center (which iOS blatantly copied)

-Front-facing camera

-Voice control

-OTA updates

-Wallpapers (sure, it's minor)

-Widgets (not so minor)

-LED Flash camera

-Panorama camera mode

-Photo Sphere (360 degree) camera mode

I absolutely loved my iPhone 3G, but after years of OS stagnation, I gave an Android phone a try and have been quite surprised at the difference.  And I'm honestly no one's fanboy, I'd happily give another OS a try, but I just don't see anyone offering the features Android does.  When I look at friend's iPhone 5's, I'm shocked at how little has changed since my 3G.  With a few notable exceptions, it's basically the same OS, at least capability wise.

And I'm all for Apple competing, it can only spur other companies on to innovate more themselves.  But the undeniable fact is that Apple has been resting on it's laurels for a number of years now, and iOS is very outdated by today's standards. 

• Reply 103 of 291
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

For example, is it truly categorically better to have one physical button that performs multiple roles, or to have separate buttons for each role?   The simplicity of Apple's single button is certainly attractive at first glance, but if you watch new users many get to Settings easily enough when setting up their device for the first time, but have difficulty understanding that they need to use that one button to return to the Home screen.   And while that one button sometimes takes you Home, at other times it works more like a Back button, and sometimes does something else. 

This ambiguity is avoided by having multiple buttons, each with its own distinct purpose.  I don't know of any formal usability studies that have been doing which might "prove" one is better than the other, but personally I think it's fine that users can choose whichever they're more comfortable with.

I have to call you on this one.  This is completely made-up BS on your part and you know it.  

This is your opinion, being phrased as if it were some kind of fact complete with fake references to "studies" and situations that simply aren't true.  

Yes, the single home button is actually better than multiple buttons. Both general UI theory and multiple studies prove it without a doubt.  The whole point of the home button is that users do not "get lost" and do not have difficulty understanding that pressing it will return them to the Home screen.  That's the reason why it's superior.  

The Home button also does not do different things in different contexts, that is actually the main criticism of the multiple buttons in Android, specifically Android's "back" button. 

• Reply 104 of 291
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

The big UI upgrade was supposed to be Siri, but that is still in alpha, as far as I can tell. Anyway, tacking on features is not a UI update, but notice that Apple has claimed (with some justification) that they are not making bigger displays because that would be incompatible with the current UI. Since people WANT bigger displays, the UI should be updated to make using them fluid.

There's not really any evidence that indicates people generally want big displays. But, supposing, for the sake of argument, there were, what exactly about the current UI wouldn't be, to use your term, "fluid" on a larger display?

• Reply 105 of 291
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    From the company that didn't think people wanted phones with touch screens and that is still making phones with physical keyboards.
  • Reply 106 of 291
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Maybe they have a history, but they're not repeating history right now. I have yet to see anything within the past couple of years. Before, it was one after another and now its nothing. Hardware bumps don't keep you in front. 

When was this magical time when Apple was a non-stop station of innovation, significantly moreso than they are today?  Name the period and the products please.

The Retina MacBook Pro is an entirely new form factor of notebook and was delivered as a full product line within the last year

• Reply 107 of 291

Quote:

I have to call you on this one.  This is completely made-up BS on your part and you know it.  

This is your opinion, being phrased as if it were some kind of fact complete with fake references to "studies" and situations that simply aren't true.  

Yes, the single home button is actually better than multiple buttons. Both general UI theory and multiple studies prove it without a doubt.  The whole point of the home button is that users do not "get lost" and do not have difficulty understanding that pressing it will return them to the Home screen.  That's the reason why it's superior.  

The Home button also does not do different things in different contexts, that is actually the main criticism of the multiple buttons in Android, specifically Android's "back" button. 

What? The Android back button goes back one screen. The home button goes home. That's not hard.

I've seen first hand confusion with the home button. My mom could never figure out why Siri would open or the recent apps screen would open sometimes when she wanted to go to the home. She also had a lot of trouble finding the back button on iOS and usually ended up going home and starting over. That part of iOS can be inconsistent. Sometimes you really can't go back to the previous screen.

• Reply 108 of 291
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You can still refresh the interface without making changes, or making it hard to use. I didn't say just make it look completely different. Of course that would be stupid. My OS X example was what I was going for. The interface looks the same, but it UI has been updated a few times to keep it current. You can do both without losing people. 

BTW...I like how you immediately went for the iOS vs Android thing. Very nice...

so change for change sake is what you are looking for?  Again, Apple is not Microsoft or Google.  The iOS GUI has been evolving. Again, what specifically are you looking for?   The GUI works and works well.

• Reply 109 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I would like to see widgets....

I would also like to see the ability to block caller's numbers

that just off the top of my head.....

I would love to be able to block numbers but that's the carrier that's stopping you from doing that, not Apple.  

My biggest wish (besides more user control over settings) would be that Apple actually tried to do something about the carriers and their immoral anti-customer ways. When the first iPhone came out (and for a long period before when we were hoping), there was this belief that Apple was going to change everything and put the carriers in the "back seat" sort of speak in favour of the customer and giving the customer control over their communications and a fair market deal.  

This has not only not happened, Apple has fallen back to a degree and seems to have no intention of upsetting any carrier anywhere on earth.  

I'd like to see a phone app in the iPad for instance, which would be the beginning of the end for the carriers and one thing they could do that would truly deserve the "innovative" moniker, but it will never happen until Apple gets some balls.   

Considering Apple is led almost exclusively by ageing white dudes who probably don't even have sex anymore I think this unlikely.  

• Reply 110 of 291
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

... The simplicity of Apple's single button is certainly attractive at first glance, but if you watch new users many get to Settings easily enough when setting up their device for the first time, but have difficulty understanding that they need to use that one button to return to the Home screen.   And while that one button sometimes takes you Home, at other times it works more like a Back button ...

Exactly when, under what circumstances, does the iPhone Home button behave like a Back button?

No one, but possibly you, has any trouble understanding how the Home button works.

• Reply 111 of 291
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member

"History repeats itself again."? *Casey Stengel smiles.* Oh well, this guy isn't getting paid for correct grammar. 

• Reply 112 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

What? The Android back button goes back one screen. The home button goes home. That's not hard.

I've seen first hand confusion with the home button. My mom could never figure out why Siri would open or the recent apps screen would open sometimes when she wanted to go to the home. She also had a lot of trouble finding the back button on iOS and usually ended up going home and starting over. That part of iOS can be inconsistent. Sometimes you really can't go back to the previous screen.

Don't want to get in an argument over it but ... no.  

The Android back button is notorious for doing different things in different situations, there are lots of articles about it. Google it.   

The home button always has the same function (assuming that the user is simply pressing it in a normal way). 

Your mum is having problems because: 

- there is no "back button" in iOS for her to find, so either you or she is kind of "thinking wrong" on that one.  

- she seems to have difficulty pushing buttons (the difference between press and press and hold).  

• Reply 113 of 291
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 114 of 291
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

I would love to be able to block numbers but that's the carrier that's stopping you from doing that, not Apple.  

My biggest wish (besides more user control over settings) would be that Apple actually tried to do something about the carriers and their immoral anti-customer ways. When the first iPhone came out (and for a long period before when we were hoping), there was this belief that Apple was going to change everything and put the carriers in the "back seat" sort of speak in favour of the customer and giving the customer control over their communications and a fair market deal.  

This has not only not happened, Apple has fallen back to a degree and seems to have no intention of upsetting any carrier anywhere on earth.  

I'd like to see a phone app in the iPad for instance, which would be the beginning of the end for the carriers and one thing they could do that would truly deserve the "innovative" moniker, but it will never happen until Apple gets some balls.   

Considering Apple is led almost exclusively by ageing white dudes who probably don't even have sex anymore I think this unlikely.  

almost made me spit my coffee all over my iMac..... :-)

• Reply 115 of 291
    atashiatashi Posts: 59member

Right now I think the number one thing I'd love to see change in iOS -- and that I expect will never ever happen -- is having swappable 'home screens'.

In other words, let us replace Springboard or whatever it's called with something else.

So when you press the Home button, instead of going to Springboard, it would go to some other app that you've installed and made 'home' via settings. There'd be some API hook or requirement, eg. you could only set an App as 'home' if that app had the right functions to replace Springboard & launch other Apps. So you couldn't make some game or something Home, but purpose-built Springboard replacements would appear on the app store and people would have more options, and it would be IMHO a huge leap forward for iOS.

Out of the box, you have the familiar grid of icons, Springboard is still the default. But for those who want something different, it would be an option.

I could see 'home' apps that have widgets, 'home' apps that give you a calendar overview or to-do overview, weather, stocks, twitter feed, whatever, the possibilities are limitless. All they need is some way to launch the apps that isn't necessarily a grid of icons. 

This isn't a new idea. We could do this on the Newton. 

• Reply 116 of 291
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

The home button always has the same function (assuming that the user is simply pressing it in a normal way). 

Not strictly true, it does have a bit of a learning curve.

Sure if you're in an app then a single press will always take you to Springboard, to the last page you viewed.  A second tap will take you to the first Springboard screen.  A third tap (or if you were already on the first Springboard screen) will take you to Spotlight.  A fourth tap will take you back to Springboard P1.

Two taps brings up multitasking wherever you are, and long tap brings up Siri wherever you are.

So there is a bit of context to it, and sometimes when the home button doesn't respond straight away (which it does occasionally) so you tap a little longer just to make sure it's registering and end up in Siri... yeah it can get a bit annoying having all those functions assigned to one button.

Not saying Android is better, quite the opposite, but every solution has its compromises.

• Reply 117 of 291

While I can always see room for improvement for iOS, I really don't get this "outdated" meme going around.  The main reason I chose the original iPhone was because it was dead simple to use as opposed to myriad menus (usually hiding even more menus).  I also chose an iPad because I knew it work the same (or similar) as my phone.  I have seen some pretty decent suggestions that would actually be fairly useful (like the accelerate to to bottom when scrolling) but some of the other stuff ("true multitasking") just seem like "Other are doing it!" mentality without any actual reasons that it's better.  I don't need my phone to do backflips.  I just need it to work and work quickly.

• Reply 118 of 291
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

He is a self serving d-bag with a valid point. The iOS interface is dated. I still have hope Apple has been working on something for the past few years and will surprise us this year. Letting another year goes by with a largely static iOS would be very damaging.

Yeah...apple is doomed if they do not copy the failed Windows Phone GUI or the horrible Android GUI.  Sales are plummeting right now.  If they do not introduce a 3d , tilt scrolling, eye tracking, flashing icons, changing backgrounds, see-thru, fart commanded UI, they are sure to die.

• Reply 119 of 291

Quote:

Don't want to get in an argument over it but ... no.  

The Android back button is notorious for doing different things in different situations, there are lots of articles about it. Google it.   

Your mum is having problems because: 

- there is no "back button" in iOS for her to find, so either you or she is kind of "thinking wrong" on that one.  

- she seems to have difficulty pushing buttons (the difference between press and press and hold).  

Whats that button that shows up on some screens in the top left of the screen that says "back" then?

I've used Android for about 18 months now and never found a time where the back button didn't bring me back one screen. Maybe prior to Android 4.0, but I never used that.

I also hear Siri activated and immediately deactivated at least once per day in the office. It's a common problem. Maybe its an overused physical button or maybe Apple needs to change the timing slightly but it's most certainly an accident everyone makes.

• Reply 120 of 291
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Funny how these posts criticize iOS and demand changes yet fail to offer any concrete suggestions. "No sweeping changes... refresh the interface... new features" the poster laments. So bottom line, just change it for change's sake so we can say it's innovative? Well, we've now seen how this attitude works out with the Galaxy S4 loaded with features only a few geeks will use. But hey, it's 'change' so it must be good, right? To me the S4 has become the Microsoft Office of the smartphone market, bloated with features the average user doesn't even know about much less ever use. 

The continuing war rages between the tech types and the common user with Apple on the common user's side. Just take a peek at Andy Ihnatko's 6000 word geek manifesto on why he switched to Android and you'll see the contrasting ideologies. Meanwhile even the enterprise is opting for ease of use with iOS.

BINGO!  Could not have said it better.  I read a post where they want to see weather on the lock screen?  That's Innovation?  I read another post where one talked about MS Tiles and BB Hub...  but aren't those OSes coded to differentiate themselves from Apple, why require Apple to become more Microsoftian or BlackBerry-like for changes sake?  Why not just get a Windows 8 or BlackBerry10 phone?  I get it, you open the iPhone and all you see are little squares of apps that give the iPhone a wealth of functionality.  B O R I N G....  Never mind that the casing design and materials used has changed multiple times since the iPhone introduction but those darn little squares, bleeeech!  But it's simple and it works, but it's so 2007 and you want a new look that's commensurate in the year 2525...  Uh-oh, I feel a song coming...