BlackBerry CEO calls Apple's iPhone user interface outdated

Comments

• Reply 161 of 291
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What's different about this and iOS?  Other than iOS icons have rounded corners.

I'll take it you are serious. The screen is a grid of amateurish, chaotically shaped cartoons, in Fisher-Price colors. Google has encouraged this sort of infantile semiotics from the beginning.

Compared to which, iOS presents you with an architectural framework that developers compete within for good-looking icons. Day and night difference. Or adult and child. Of couse, the damaged nervous systems out there equate harmony with boredom.

Edit: took out 'elegant.'
  • Reply 162 of 291
    The QWERTY keyboard is over 150 years old and no one ever improved upon it. IPhone outdated? Hardly.
  • Reply 163 of 291
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So you're using complete and utter idiots as examples? Is that really what you want to do? They don't count.

Never mind that another of your links look to be outdated in the extreme (pre-multitasking). 

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Google now is amazing. Your feelings will change greatly once Google releases it for iOS or Chrome. It is the future. It will be common place (not only Google now but many other services like it). Get ready for it.

I don't use Google services. My feelings will not change on it. It will be nowhere near my computing devices. And it's certainly not the future.

• Reply 164 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I just took a quick screenshot of my iPad screen which shows a similar row of icons, and the difference to me is significant.

Maybe it all comes down to style and taste in the end, but Android looks too cluttered, the icons look ugly and iOS just looks nicer and more elegant.

You can't say android looks too cluttered and post an Android screenshot from a phone and an iOS screen shot from an iPad. Completely unfair. Try this.

• Reply 165 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'll take it you are serious. The screen is a grid of amateurish, chaotically shaped cartoons, in Fisher-Price colors. Google has encouraged this sort of infantile semiotics from the brginning.

Compared to which, iOS presents you with an elegant architectural framework that developers compete within for good-looking icons. Day and night difference. Or adult and child. Of couse, the damaged nervous systems out there equate harmony with boredom.

I actually prefect the Android icons. I'll post this screengrab again because there are so many comments I don't want you to miss it. 

Edit: Too many pics. See above. Sorry.

• Reply 166 of 291
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

A car is outdated.  tires and doors and such.  How stupid.  We need Phars instead of Cars.  image

• Reply 167 of 291
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't use Google services. My feelings will not change on it. It will be nowhere near my computing devices. And it's certainly not the future.

I wonder how long it'll be until we read about the first person to get shot because they were wearing Google Glasses. The backlash has already started. Google glasses seems like a huge breach and threat to privacy.

• Reply 168 of 291

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

A car is outdated.  tires and doors and such.  How stupid.  We need Phars instead of Cars.  image

Is that a "phablet" joke? It should be "Semar" in your analogy, then. image

• Reply 169 of 291
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Yes, we could have to relearn iOS with every release. Crap. That's what I love most about Windows.
  • Reply 170 of 291
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 171 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

AppleInsider subjects all of its readers to Google Ad Services.

Except for readers like me, who block Google.

• Reply 172 of 291

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

AppleInsider subjects all of its readers to Google Ad Services.

• Reply 173 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You can't say android looks too cluttered and post an Android screenshot from a phone and an iOS screen shot from an iPad. Completely unfair. Try this.

Your Android screenshot (from a Norwegian Android device by the way) looks better than the first Android screen shot, but there's still something off about the icons. Maybe it's because there are no guidelines, and they come in whatever shape people feel like making them.

• Reply 174 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Your Android screenshot (from a Norwegian Android device by the way) looks better than the first Android screen shot, but there's still something off about the icons. Maybe it's because there are no guidelines, and they come in whatever shape people feel like making them.

I'm glad you mentioned that! Google Play has thousands of icon sets to download. There are a ton of creative options out there. Even third party complete crooks stealing iOS designs. There are actually a lot of really great ones. That's the beauty of Android. As was my original point. You can't bash the look of Android because there are so many options out there that it is easy to create a beautiful looking home screen (Not including the one below per my personal preference)

I was lazy and picked the first result in Google images.

• Reply 175 of 291
    Back off Blackberry!
    U can't even fix your own shit!
  • Reply 176 of 291
    the 1980's called they want their rhetoric back
  • Reply 177 of 291
    My wife got a My touch over the weekend with Android on it, it is so hard to use not intuitive at all, I thought the UI on my iphone 4s was getting outdated but I'll take it in a heartbeat before I'll swap to Android, the phone looked great but the UI made me want to throw it against the wall in frustration.
  • Reply 178 of 291
    Oh did not know we are not making the smartphone industry like the shoe industry

girls
  • Reply 179 of 291
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    All I can say is that a grid of Icon is far older than 5 yrs old, let me see they date back to 1984 or before, 84 is the first time the general public saws rows of icon as a way to invoke a program to run or execute. Is RIM suggesting we need a whole new method, maybe mind control, you think it and it runs, verse talking to your device and looking like a moron on the street issuing command or random questions to your phone. So maybe the whole rows of icons you click on is a bit outdated and passe

The reason it works is because it is just simple and easy to remember, nothing new to learn.
  • Reply 180 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by yossarian01 View Post

My wife got a My touch over the weekend with Android on it, it is so hard to use not intuitive at all, I thought the UI on my iphone 4s was getting outdated but I'll take it in a heartbeat before I'll swap to Android, the phone looked great but the UI made me want to throw it against the wall in frustration.

You got a mytouch? Yikes. The newest mytouch was released in 2010 and wasn't great to start with. Please don't judge Android by this budget phone.